Help about statute barred debts

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2348 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Sorry I don't know a whole lot about this but I have suddenly had three old debts pop up from different debt collection companies threatening me with further action etc.

It seems to have happened as I made an inquiry with a PPI company a few months ago but didn't bother going any further and I am now wondering if that has opened me up to all of this.

I think these three debts are statute barred as I have not made any contact whatsoever or made any payments or acknowledged the debts for at least 7 years, maybe longer but knowing how sly some of these companies can be, I wouldn't put it past them to fake an acknowledgement or some form of "contact" and so it worries me about emailing them or writing to them and stating that these are statute barred debts.

I am worried that they may try to trick me. How can I prove that I have not made any contact for all of these years? They could easily just say oh yes you have...I don't understand.

Can anyone please give me some advice on how I can stop these writing to me and making threats or maybe give me the best wording to put in an email?

As saying "you can not enforce this is as it is statute barred" is in itself admitting to the debt I suppose.

Also, there is no doubt it is at the very least 7 years since any contact was made.

Many thanks.

why are you using a PPI claims company??

do it for free with the info here.

most of these companies are part owned by ex DCA's and their groups anyway

no good thinking the debts are statute barred

go look

check your credit file..

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

So let them threaten.....if you are happy its been over 7 years...ignore them...if they issue a court claim defend it on the statute barred basis.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

you ask for advice on waht to put in an email. That is simple- NOTHING

you do not phione or email these people,

they will just use theat as a method of harassing you.

If you feel inclined to do anything you write a short letter with their ref no on it and say that

"it is denied that any monies are due to you or your clients and in any case the matter is Statute Barred.

r demands will result in suitable action being taken to report your communcations as harassment."

As Andyorch says, you are in no hurry to do anything, the letters arent harming you in any way

now, about the PPI, same companies who you owed money to of different ones?

Did you sign anything with claims company?

you say you decided not to progress but they mostly sell on your personal details to dca's anyway and that is why you are getting the junk mail.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, yes some were the companies that are now showing up.

One letter came today from Ruthbridge, threatening to take things further.

It does annoy me, I do feel like letting them try but at the same time I just want them so bog off and leave me alone

I will just type a quick email like you have suggested but from a new email account that I will set up.

Then they can harass that as much as they like because I won't even log back in.

Ruthbridge are Cabot (desk further along in the same portocabin office)

They will continue to hound on statute barred debts.......2/3/4 phone calls a day using their main landline number...mobile numbers and withheld numbers...simply keep a log of how many times they ring for future purposes.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Ok thank you.

I also have MMF hounding me over two debts from 2008.

A friend has told me that because I moved house in 2010,

the companies might have kept writing to the old address

and so can prove they tried to contact me

and that this would mean statute barred doesn't count.

I'm sure this is not the case.

I thought it meant six years from the last payment or written acknowledgement from me of the debt?

Your friend needs to be ignored.... its acknowledgement/payment from yourself within 6 years...however if you have failed to update your address with any creditor you do leave yourself open for them to issue a court claim to your previous address...if they dont know your current address.

NO EMAIL AT ALL. You might think that it is being clever to use a new email addy but what are you going to say if they send you their legal notices via that email addy and you dont get them?

Either say nthing or you write a letter. This makes them apy to harass you if nothing else, email is free.

Thank you, yes some were the companies that are now showing up.

One letter came today from Ruthbridge, threatening to take things further.

It does annoy me, I do feel like letting them try but at the same time I just want them so bog off and leave me alone

I will just type a quick email like you have suggested but from a new email account that I will set up.

Then they can harass that as much as they like because I won't even log back in.