style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2345 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI I would appreciate some help on this issue if at all possible.

I lost my job in May 2017 and was unemployed for 3 months. I was paying £1386.00 per month for a small one bedroom flat in Clapham Junction and had been doing so since Dec 2014 (so nearly 3 years). As it became apparent I could no longer afford the rent I spoke to Kinleigh Folkward and Hayward who were the estate agents for the private landlord I rented off and asked if I could be released early from my tenancy agreement which was due to expire on 10th Dec 2017. After negotiation the landlord agreed the tenancy could be terminated once a new tenant had been found but the estate agents insisted I was liable for paying the letting fee until the end of the tenancy (10th Dec) irrespective of whether a new tenant was found.

A tenant was found and we agreed an end date of 25th Oct (today) - I had hoped for earlier as I was able to move to my new cheaper property on 30th Sept. After I moved out I started getting phone calls from workmen asking for permission to enter the flat to measure up replacing the carpets with wooden floors. I agreed but rang the estate agents checking that no work would commence until I had ended the tenancy. I saw no reason why (as I was in fact paying effectively rent on 2 properties that the landlord should profit from the situation by getting rent paid whilst he was having works done.) I got in writing that no work would begin until I had completed check out.

I turned up at the flat last night to discover carpets ripped up, some new flooring laid and a total mes. I then cancelled the professional cleaning company I had booked for this am. I went back there this morning to find the workmen there with keys and smoking in the flat.

The check out clerk arrived at 10am and was quite appalled too.

I have not paid my rent since 10th September as I have no trust in these people (either the agents or the landlord) to not try and rip off my deposit. Financially then I owe 6 weeks rent but there are 4 weeks rent held in deposit.

My question is - can I legitimately say they have to cancel the tenancy at the end of last week thereby reducing my debt to them (the workmen told me they had been there all week)and what action should I be taking regarding unlawful and unpermissioned entry into what technically was still my home?

I'm not interested in just causing trouble for troubles sake but rather in reducing any payments to them that I need to make. 3 months without salary this year has broken me financially and I just do not have spare money. I'm happy for the deposit to be released to the landlord but want to reduce any further bill by as much as I can....

Any advice will be hugely gratefully received.

Moobelle

then make that point very strongly to the landlord and dont go through the agents if you feel they have unilaterally taken decisions to let the builders in. They are entitled to access for viewings/measuring etc but not to start the work and leave the place uninhabitable for a week and expect you to pay for it. Problemis that many amateur landlords are financially crippled when their tenants dont or cant apy the rent on time so grab at anything that will get them an income and that includes this sort of thing. As they dont actually owe you money you are in a stronger position to state that you arent paying for this week ad to reinvoice you properly

A precise timeline would be useful.

Rent is payable on due date, not from Deposit after end of T.

Wrong to withhold rent without LL prior consent.

Notify LL that you consider your Agreement terminated at the end of the rental period which included arrival of Contractors.