Jessops - Faulty 5.5 yr old camera DSLR

stressed_traveller
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2297 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I purhased a Canon DSLR in April 2012 ago on credit card (which I no longer hold) from Jessops.

It has just developed a fault whereby the mode dial does not select the correct shooting mode.

Am I covered under the sale of goods act/consumer rights act as it now is?

To complicate things, I think Jessops went into administration in 2015, then started trading again?

More importantly, I am currently travelling in Central America and Australia for the next 18 months, so need to get this fixed locally (currently Panama City).

I have checked my travel insurance policy and it does not cover electrical or mechanical breakdown, so I don't think I am covered by that.

Any advice on how to procede would be much appreciated.

Kind regards.

How long do you think the ‘average’ DSLR of that price should last?

Bearing in mind that is an average, Some will last longer, others less ... so what is the earliest you feel it is acceptable one should fail?

How long do you think the ‘average’ DSLR of that price should last?

Bearing in mind that is an average, Some will last longer, others less ... so what is the earliest you feel it is acceptable one should fail?

Exactly, neither Jessops or Cannon will have any responsibility for a camera that old. I should imagine in terms of any reasonable expectation of product lifespan, that this would have to be argued in a court. But this is not going to happen.

The consumer would need to obtain an inspection report from a camera technician, confirming what the fault was, whether it could be fixed and if so how much. Remember that even if it was a manufacturers fault and the camera was not repairable, that any court claim would be for any loss of reasonable lifespan. So if a camera should last 6 years and cost say £600 originally. If the camera failed when it was 5.5 years old, the claim amount would only be £50. Given cost of technician report and court claim, with little chance of success, the consumer would not bother.

If the camera could be fixed, then no chance of claiming back repair cost.

So in this situation. It is a repair at your own expense or you buy a replacement camera.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

quite often see these faults in say the 450d etc

its simply old age and dirt

there are guides on the net upon how to get to it

all it need is usually a spray of contact cleaner like servisol 10 or alike [NOT WD40!]

for that age there wont be any cover under SOGA/CRA.

most camera shops that do basic repairs should be able to fix it for about £30-50

or with a jewellers screwdriver set you can do it yourself

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 1 month later...

Am I too late to chip in?

Several years ago I bought a laptop with my credit card for £900.

After about 30 months it melted whilst using it. I mean proper melted at the back. Smoke and stuff.

Comet weren't interested as it was out of the 24 month warranty.

I rang, at that time, Consumer Advice? Not Citizens.

The lad explained any item must last 6 years, unless it's wear and tear etc.

He explained it with -

I live on my own. I watch the TV for about 2 hours a night. If it packed up after 5 1/2 years I could claim back from the card company, because no way had it been caused by wear and tear.

Living on my own, I sit on my settee to watch TV. If after 5 1/2 years it started showing signs of wear I could claim from the card company. If I was married with 3 kids and a dog bouncing about on it, that would be a different matter.

Following his advice on several occasions, I wrote to the card company.

They arranged for me to take it to a local computer shop to have it checked, paid for by them.

The card company took the full 11 weeks they were allowed to sort it, but in the end they gave me a cheque for £700 to buy a new laptop. They reasoned, correctly, that in the 2 1/2 years I'd had it, laptops had come down in price and also advanced in performance.

They sent me a cheque and said it was up to me what I spent it on.

Just saying.

Paul

Am I too late to chip in?

Several years ago I bought a laptop with my credit card for £900.

After about 30 months it melted whilst using it. I mean proper melted at the back. Smoke and stuff.

Comet weren't interested as it was out of the 24 month warranty.

I rang, at that time, Consumer Advice? Not Citizens.

The lad explained any item must last 6 years, unless it's wear and tear etc.

He explained it with -

I live on my own. I watch the TV for about 2 hours a night. If it packed up after 5 1/2 years I could claim back from the card company, because no way had it been caused by wear and tear.

Living on my own, I sit on my settee to watch TV. If after 5 1/2 years it started showing signs of wear I could claim from the card company. If I was married with 3 kids and a dog bouncing about on it, that would be a different matter.

Following his advice on several occasions, I wrote to the card company.

They arranged for me to take it to a local computer shop to have it checked, paid for by them.

The card company took the full 11 weeks they were allowed to sort it, but in the end they gave me a cheque for £700 to buy a new laptop. They reasoned, correctly, that in the 2 1/2 years I'd had it, laptops had come down in price and also advanced in performance.

They sent me a cheque and said it was up to me what I spent it on.

Just saying.

Paul

What, EXACTLY, are you 'just saying'?

That the OP might be able to claim that the item should have lasted 6 years instead of 5 1/2?.

The OP might indeed be able to do so. That'd get them a refund of 1/12 of the purchase price .

How do you expect them to be able to get that refund?

To do so they'd likely need to get an expert's report, and their original post notes they are off traveling.

UB covered this well in their contribution:

Exactly, neither Jessops or Cannon will have any responsibility for a camera that old. I should imagine in terms of any reasonable expectation of product lifespan, that this would have to be argued in a court. But this is not going to happen.

The consumer would need to obtain an inspection report from a camera technician, confirming what the fault was, whether it could be fixed and if so how much. Remember that even if it was a manufacturers fault and the camera was not repairable, that any court claim would be for any loss of reasonable lifespan. So if a camera should last 6 years and cost say £600 originally. If the camera failed when it was 5.5 years old, the claim amount would only be £50. Given cost of technician report and court claim, with little chance of success, the consumer would not bother.

If the camera could be fixed, then no chance of claiming back repair cost.

So in this situation. It is a repair at your own expense or you buy a replacement camera.