Speeding fine-address not updated at DVLA

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2368 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have received a notice 01/09/17 about driving with 35mph in the 30 zone on 14/07/17 ,taken by camera.

I confirmed it was me and was just about to book the speed awareness course.

On 21/10/17 I received another one taken at the same place,by same camera saying I drove 36mph.The date of the offence is 06/07/17!!!!!I accept the fact I drove that fast probably as it's a tricky place after a hill.

But...they are sending it 14 weeks after the offence!!!Even if I did not update DVLA when changed address,they have found me with the other notice 8 weeks ago which took place later than this one.

Can I contest both or one of them on the basis of late notificitation.They are way out of the 14 day time frame.Or not updating DVLA means it's my fault and I couldn't contest?

I am running out of time as the course should be booked very soon.

These fines mean I will struggle immensely with Christmas,so looking forward to your wise advice!Thanks

How long before these events did you change address without updating the registered address for the vehicle with DVLA ?

It would be your fault, if you moved ages before these events. The notifications would have gone to your old address first of all and then returned undelivered. They have tracked you down and resent them.

Take the speed awareness course anyway and that should deal with one of them.

You will just have to accept and deal with these. Remember that DVLA can report you for not updating your address within reasonable time.

Do you have any other points on your licence ? How old are you ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

They are out of time in respect of the NTKs but of course you haven’t told the DVLA you’ve moved. This can attract a £1000 fine and technically means you are driving without a valid licence.

I suggest redacting the NTKs and posting them here for more knowledgable advice....

Are the NIPs necessarily out of date so long as they have been served on the OP's last known address as per DVLA? I would feel sure that the law would allow for such aloophole to be closed.

By virtue of not updating DVLA then I believe the timeframe would be rightly ignored. I’d be very nervous about appealing...

Is there any way to gather information from police about the dates of posting them to me before appealing?

It is quite a complicated situation as I used to live in a shelter.

My post went through staff.

What if they mixed something up and the letters were on time?

I had to sign for all the letters I took from my box though.

I could write to them maybe to check their book at shelter.

But that could take time and it does not help that I made a complaint against them...

I am not a tech savvy but try and post them,

thanks.

Ok, let’s break this down into simpler chunks to deal with.

You state you had two letters from the Police regarding two speeding offences.

If you are the registered keeper of the car then you should have received one NIP (notice of intended prosecution) for each offence.

These letters are usually a two sided affair that shows the offence date, location, and time.

It requires the keeper to either identify the driver or admit to being the driver.

Can you please check these two letters and in each case give us the date of offence and the date the NIP was produced.

Don't think you can upload any documents to a thread until you have made 10 posts or more to this site.

In this situation, given that you have moved soon after these offences, i think you should respond to the address shown on the letters. If there is a telephone number, give them a call to ask for more information after explaining what has happened.

Given that you don't deny the speeding offences, it is case of sorting out a way to minimise the cost/penalty.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Sorry,I try my best.Thanks for your patience.

First notice I cannot find,typical.

But the date of offence is confirmed on speed awareness workshop offer.14/07/17.

The NIP came by post on 02/09/17.

(For some reason I have until 21/12/17 to complete the course in spite of stating in letter that the expiry date for completing is four months from the date of offence.)

Second notice says it was issued on 20/10/17.

Date of offence is 08/07/17.

I did not reply on this one yet.

I called the Police and found out that it was sent to my oldest addressed first on 13/07/17 and then to the shelter as I never filled in the V5 document.

The lady on the phone said I could appeal against the 2nd notice on the grounds of my financial situation and could probably get the chance of paying in parts.

Any experience with that?

Or should I start a new thread for that?

I will do the course for the first one to avoid more points on licence.

This is exactly why one needs to update all agencies and creditors with the latest address.

If you take the Police’ word for it and are happy that you were indeed speeding on both occasions and that both NIPS were originally served correctly then the best thing to do would most likely be take the speed awareness course and ask for time to pay the fine for the second offence.

Thanks for the advice.

To be honest I have been through a lot recently and I never had to deal with things like that before.Learning my lessons now.

It would mean quite a lot of stress for me to appeal this.I believe I would qualify as my situation is not too bright.

Still I hoped that someone might have been through this process to advise me what to expect.

I am very grateful for this forum.I came across it browsing Google about speeding fines.Great place,much appreciated!