significant role change?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2348 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

i have been told by my employer that due to a few internal changes i will lose all of the supervisory/managerial elements of my job.

My team will now report directly to a colleague, as will i.

My job title will change also.

I have not seen a new job description and will work at the same level as the staff i previously managed.

This appears to others as a demotion.

I do not intend to accept this change which is to be fairly immediate.

I have been in current role as a team leader for over 5 years.

What action should I take?

Thanks

1) If the role is around 80% the same (typical figure I have seen used, not enshrined in law anywhere) and no change in pay etc, they can do it

2) If pay is cut they are making your current role redundant, and redundancy principles apply; however if your skill match the new role it is considered "suitable alternative employment." Therefore they can still do it. There may be a cash element for the loss of future earnings, but nit a huge sum.

What outcome are you looking for?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Accept it or quit and take them to trbunal for constructive dismissal.

That claim would go nowhere.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I obviously want to leave. But need to know what I can/cannot do first. Complete breach of trust from their actions and imposing a role change on me with a loss of status makes my position untenable. I am so angry right now.

I obviously want to leave. But need to know what I can/cannot do first. Complete breach of trust from their actions and imposing a role change on me with a loss of status makes my position untenable. I am so angry right now.

Unless they are changing your salary (and quite significantly too) then you have no options. These days loss of status is worth nothing. And businesses are permitted to restructure. They own the job, they are allowed to make whatever changes in it that they consider necessary for their business. At five years service, unless you have some excellently enhanced redundancy scheme (assuming you could even convince them to make you redundant), the payment won't be worth anything. So I'm afraid the only real advice is to suck it up and keep on earning until you can find another job. Maybe not your first option, but unless you are able to secure new employment immediately, or have loads of savings that you're happy to spent supporting yourself whilst out of work, the only one.

Constructive dismissal is VERY difficult to prove!

I would strongly advise against it.

You could start a grievance, but your employer would know you wouldn't get anywhere with it and would call your bluff.

Whatever you do, just know that constructive dismissal is a tough test.

Do some research on constructive dismissal and see the test for yourself.

why is it obvious that you should want to chuck your job in when you are not having your pay and conditions changed? Loss of status? Well would you accept a pay cut and keep the job title?

Mnay years ago I was in the TA Initially I was just an ordinary meber of the PBI, no respionsibility whatsoever, just obey orders. Due to specialsist technical skills I was made an officer and all of a sudden I had paperwork, planning, real responsibilities etc. Now, if I was offered an officer's salary to become a private again I would jump at it I doubt if the work would have changed but anything that went wrong would have never have been my fault.

Now you are in the same position, the responsibility for screwing up has moved to someone else so you can get on with doing the humdrum whilst rewriting your CV and applying for other jobs. Your olleagues wont think any less of you unless you lorded it over them and if that was the case you had better volunteer to make the teas for a month as atonement.

It's not the job title. It's more to do with how it's been handled, the timing of it and to some extent who i will now report to. My new boss has caused much bad feeling in the team and for me in particular. But as new hoss is a favourite of a senior manager, is viewed as can do no wrong. I am more senior ( or was) but will now have to suck it up working to someone who in effect has my job and my team (and my office). I can't wait to discuss my goals, objectives and ambitions in these circumstances. I also have over 25 years service so having invested so much this does not feel pleasant. I want out.

It's not the job title. It's more to do with how it's been handled, the timing of it and to some extent who i will now report to. My new boss has caused much bad feeling in the team and for me in particular. But as new hoss is a favourite of a senior manager, is viewed as can do no wrong. I am more senior ( or was) but will now have to suck it up working to someone who in effect has my job and my team (and my office). I can't wait to discuss my goals, objectives and ambitions in these circumstances. I also have over 25 years service so having invested so much this does not feel pleasant. I want out.

Obviously, you are angry.

However, don't let your current emotion determine your future.

Action in anger does have serious implication.

So exercise caution.

Do some research about constructive dismissal

Then you will see the high threshold you need to cross.

I understand there might be breach of contract

especially a duty to maintain mutual trust and confidence.

Think of raising a grievance first.

But like I stated earlier, your employer might see your bluff.

I would advise you exercise caution.

I'm still unclear if there's a financial impact, or if this is essentially about hurt feelings.

No salary change. Maybe i should be glad i will no longer have to manage others or team outputs. But, after many years of hard work this feels a backward step. Why should i be happy with that? Prospects now seem to be nil - years of management experience down the drain and a manager who I fear will not be fair or supportive and will more likely enjoy my discomfort. I will be frozen out. It's more than hurt feelings - i just cannot see how i can get past this and regain motivation and be able to perform well in what is fast becoming a toxic environment.

No salary change. Maybe i should be glad i will no longer have to manage others or team outputs. But, after many years of hard work this feels a backward step. Why should i be happy with that? Prospects now seem to be nil - years of management experience down the drain and a manager who I fear will not be fair or supportive and will more likely enjoy my discomfort. I will be frozen out. It's more than hurt feelings - i just cannot see how i can get past this and regain motivation and be able to perform well in what is fast becoming a toxic environment.

So, look for another job, keeping this one until you find an alternative, unless you

a) find it so distasteful to remain,

b) have the resources to support yourself during your search for a new job, (resigning or getting yourself dismissed affects your JSA entitlement), and

c) you don't believe it true that "its easier to get a job, if you are already in a job".

abackward step when you have been there 25 years? dont see it. If you were the kind of person to spend a year at a job just to boost your CV before moving on to the next place then yes but since there is no change in salary it is all about self-esteem and your place on the Maslow Hierarchy. If you really cant abide working there any longer the apply for more jobs but chuck it in in high dudgeon because they have changed your leader by slotting someone else in above you- cant really comprehend it. What would you have them do instead, move you to another group or whatever? Now if your skill set made that possible is there a vacancy in another department or area.

As for the hard work part, they do pay you for that and if the salary isnt enough them you should ahve been on your toes ages ago. What title you give your current role on your CV isnt tied to what your employers call it, facilities manager is always a good one as it measns everything and nothing