Problem with Xercise4less/Harlands

chewytoffee
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2296 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

As many people have had an issue with Xercise4Less I too am having a problem with them right now.

I saw a student advert on a free month from Xercise4Less and did not realise I was being sucked into a 12 month contract, and only realised after a month was paid for after my first free month.

once I saw a month being paid for I immediately cancelled the direct debit!

Now I have received a letter from a group of people called "Harlands", saying:

(Date of letter 17/10/2017, Date recieved: 21/10/2017)

"Your bank have recently advised us that your Direct Debit instruction has been cancelled.

The terms of your Membership Agreement mean that you have to repay all your installments by direct debit.

Therefore, you must call the HARLANDS HELPLINE immediately on 01444 449033 to reinstate your Direct Debit over the telephone. "

They also said: "If you do not call us by 7 NOV 2017 you will be charged an administration fee".

I really have no idea what to do!

The idea of it being free was really appealing to me.

I have already paid 1 installment (this installment got taken out on 09/10/2017), with 10 months left as I have already had a free month (my free month started on 09/09/17)!

I'm not really using the membership,

also I just can't afford to pay for a whole year, being an 18 year old student!

Any help, to what I should do next?

I've read on other threads that I should call up (I was about to until I read the other threads).

Is there anyway I can get them to cancel my whole 12 month membership?

Thank you very much!

Hi,

I'm in the same position as you, and received a letter saying:

(Date of letter 17/10/2017, Date recieved: 21/10/2017)

"Your bank have recently advised us that your Direct Debit instruction has been cancelled.

The terms of your Membership Agreement mean that you have to repay all your installments by direct debit. Therefore, you must call the HARLANDS HELPLINE immediately on 01444 449033 to reinstate your Direct Debit over the telephone. "

They also said: "If you do not call us by 7 NOV 2017 you will be charged an administration fee".

so what

all and bugger they can do

they are not bailiffs.

did a payment come out after you cancelled?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

you never ever discuss debts over the phone

writing only put the phone down

they are NOT BAILIFFS

and have

NO LEGAL POWERS whatsoever.

if anything you need to use the slick132 letter offer ONE months payment ONLY no bogus admin fees

if they refuse then tough luck for them.

WRITE DO NOT USE EMAIL

get free proof of posting from the PO counter

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

there is no template

you need to go READ other threads here

you'll ind loads just like your issue

infact probably every single thread.

scroll right up to the top here

click gyms and health clubs

and they

Hi CT and welcome to CAG

Lesson for the future - nothing in life is free !!

When you signed up for the Free Trial, you signed a DD mandate. There were clear Terms and Conditions stating your free trial would lead on to a year's m/ship unless you cancelled exactly as required by Harlands. The T&C's also told you how to cancel and avoid being tied into a year's m/ship.

The BAD news - You failed to cancel the DD as required and left a DD enabling Harlands to take the 12 months fees that you agreed to (whether you realised it or not).

The GOOD news - Harlands tend to threaten lots but don't take the action they threaten. Court action is very unlikely, especially with a student following a Free Trial.

In your case, you need a different letter to tell Harlands you made a mistake, you didn't realise you committed to a year's m/ship and you can't afford to pay for this over the year.

If you want, I can draft this for you on Sunday but, in the meantime, do not be tempted to call Harlands/CRS or the gym for any reason at all.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Me again,

Actually, you should do NOTHING at all until Harlands/CRS tell you they're charging a £25 admin fee for you cancelling the DD mandate.

That will be the reason you can cancel without notice - because they're trying to charge you an unlawful admin fee !

Just let us know when they write to you telling you they're adding their admin fees. Then I'll draft you a suitable letter.

Edited by slick132

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Ah I know, stupid mistake on my end.

As long as no money is gone from my pocket I'm happy.

I'll even pay 1 more month, and let it be (but under no circumstance am I paying the full 12 months).

If you could draft me a letter I would be so happy!!

Thank you!

You probably won't even need to offer to pay a final month's fee because of the way this has panned out.

Just let us know when they demand their silly admin fees on top of monthly gym fees.

• 1 month later...

Hi Slick132,

Your prophecy seems to have came true.

However they sent the letter 2 months later, funnily enough (got the letter around October and it's nearly Christmas!).

But yeah, I received a letter with them charging outrageous fees stating:

"We refer to our previous letter and note that you have not contacted us.

You have now incurred a further £25.00 charge and are £73.98 in arrears.

Under your membership agreement, you have promised to pay this debt.

If you continue to refuse to honour that commitment, we will have no option but to take further steps to collect the outstanding balance.

We want to help you but, ignoring this letter is only resulting in further charges.

If you do not contact us by 22nd December 2017 your balance of £169.90 will be passed to a debt recovery company who will add their fees to your account."

Reading that letter scared, me a bit. £169!! That's a lot of money, for a college student.

But if you could draft me a letter whenever you're free, and have spare time, then I would be ever so grateful! Thank you :)

all and bugger they can do to you.

and they

Hi CT and please don't be at all worried by the demands from Harlands/CRS. They are so full of Hot Air !!

Letter to Harlands/CRS and get a free Cert of Posting at the PO when posting it.

Dear Harlands,

I refer to demands from Harlands/CRS for gym membership at Xercise4Less.

When I signed up for their free trial, I was not made aware that I was committing to a 12 month agreement. Had I known this I would never have done the trial as I could not afford the fees being a student on a tight budget.

Also, you are adding on admin fees that aren't lawful or enforceable.

For these reasons, I will not be paying you and may choose to ignore further demands. If future demands amount to harassment, I will take whatever action is necessary to stop you.

That will do for now and let us know how they reply.