R&R - Council Tax & partial benefit claim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2370 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone

Just a question please for some help... slightly weird one.

I have rec the "Notice of Enforcement" today dated 13/10 for Council Tax from lovely R&R.

I have a claim for Council Tax Benefit going through at the moment which will be backdated to beginning of Sept which I have been told will be applied as a credit. The Benefit dept do not liase/talk with the Recovery dept.

I made the claim for benefit on the 13/09 and the Liability Order is dated 21/09, surely they should have talked to one another.

I'm not quite sure what to do as R&R Chasing me for the ful amt, there will be a reduction on it so the LO should be wrong or it was done after I applied, etc

I have emailed R&R and told them off this situation and offered £75 to start and to also ensure I contact them within the 7 days to stop the £235 fee

Any advice greatly received.

Many thanks

Sew

Hi Everyone

I have rec the "Notice of Enforcement" today dated 13/10 for Council Tax from lovely R&R.

I have a claim for Council Tax Benefit going through at the moment which will be backdated to beginning of Sept which I have been told will be applied as a credit. The Benefit dept do not liase/talk with the Recovery dept.

I made the claim for benefit on the 13/09 and the Liability Order is dated 21/09, surely they should have talked to one another.

I'm not quite sure what to do as R&R Chasing me for the ful amt, there will be a reduction on it so the LO should be wrong or it was done after I applied, etc

I have emailed R&R and told them off this situation and offered £75 to start and to also ensure I contact them within the 7 days to stop the £235 fee

Almost certainly you should be speaking with the council. It is their Liability Order and Rossendales are merely their agents. It is perfectly within their remit to agree a repayment figure with you and instruct Rossendales to accept it.

How much is the Liability Order that Rossendales are seeking to enforce?

Do you have any idea how much the debt will be reduced by when your benefit application is processed?

It is for £1050

I think it will go down by approx half as the benefit period will be 13/09 to End of March or whenever Council tax period ends?

I am very tempted to pay the Council direct via online banking and then when the credit appears it will be ok

I am tempted to go in and see them tomorrow as I am not happy with that "dates thing"

I applied on 13/09,

LO was dated 21/09.

I think I can argue the case in some way, they should be talking or checking internally when someone makes a claim, etc

Thanks

Sew

The council tax year runs from 1 April to 31 March.

There is no requirement for the council to halt or delay any action on the basis that a council tax reduction claim has been made

- until the moment it's credited to the council tax account then it has not direct effect on the amount outstanding.

Some councils will hold action if a claim is in place but it's at their discretion.

The council tax year runs from 1 April to 31 March.

There is no requirement for the council to halt or delay any action on the basis that a council tax reduction claim has been made

- until the moment it's credited to the council tax account then it has not direct effect on the amount outstanding.

Some councils will hold action if a claim is in place but it's at their discretion.

thanks, i thought this might be the case.

I'll wait to see R&R come back with and the outcome of the benefit Claim and go form there

Sew

Email and ring the Elected head of your local council, I reckon they will be able to get R&R off your back if you explain the situation, along with the ridiculous fees cancelled. In my experience this is the best way to resolve any situation with council tax. R & R will do sod all to help you!

There was a slot on BBC 5 live about this a few weeks ago, apparently this is a ticking time bomb for councils, loads of people entitled to back claims, some for many years who have no idea. Eg Single persons, student etc.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread