faulty headphones within warranty - manu cant/wont replace them.

JustInterested
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2353 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a surround-sound headset which has developed a fault and apparently the headset has been out of production for some time so the manufacturer has offered an alternative headset as replacement. I wasn't given the option of repair (their warranty covers replacement or repair). So this is where it gets annoying/silly.

The headset is proper surround-sound with a microphone and a high quality desktop volume control. The replacement they suggested is a stereo headset, without microphone and no volume control! They don't make a surround headset any more so can't offer like for like or better - which I believe would be required under UK law.

It was bought in Maplins but now I'm dealing with people in China so have no idea where I stand here. I don't want to RMA it and send it off to them (as they are suggesting) only to be told when they have it that they'll replace it but not like for like. I've tried to get them to commit to naming the replacement they will send me having said I would not accept their suggested replacement but they don't seem to want to commit, which is worrying. The headset is just over a year old on a two year warranty.

Can anyone suggest what I should do, and should I in fact be dealing with Maplin as the retailer rather than the manufacturer?

Thanks for any help.

yes under CRA

the issue here is whichever way you go.

unless maplin replace , and the wont under like for like

unless:

1. they have old stock

2, you cough up a bit of money

you've had one years usage so the will be allowed to 'take something off' for settlement.

sadly outside of6mts YOU cant choose anything

its down to the retailer to repair, replace or refund at their discretion....

you could suggest a cash settlement for say +75% of paid for worth [about]

then use that to fund getting what you want elsewhere.

as a total side issue...

what is the fault with them...

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

its down to the retailer to repair, replace or refund at their discretion....

Yes, but surely they must replace like for like while it's still in warranty? Otherwise, comparing the headset model I have to the model they're offering as a replacement, it'd be equivalent to me buying a car which develops a fault and they offer to replace it with a motorbike! :???:

as a total side issue...

what is the fault with them...

The centre channel is intermittent on one side. This headset is known for dodgy drivers so it'd need a replacement driver which apparently they don't have. Hence the offer of a (substantially inferior and functionally different) replacement headset. :-x

if like for like does no longer exist sadly no.

and even if it did, they are not obligated to simply give you a new set after 1 yrs usage

many companies will mind.

forget any warranty, that's in addition to your statutory rights under CRA it does not over write nor replace them.

it might well pay you to get maplins onboard via CRA, after all they are your correct target.

we have seen that the manu and the retailer get together and stump up enough good will to enable to go and buy a new set that does the job from another manu.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...