Help! Lil Dragons London

Broolay17
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2281 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I took my daughter to a free trial session for Lil Dragons London.

At the end of the session I said we will come back the next week at which point the lady very quickly shoved a direct debit form under my nose and was pressuring me to sign.

I had my 4 yr old and my 3 month old both with me so to get away I stupidly signed the form.

Over that weekend she was constantly texting me asking me to transfer over £150 for the membership fee.

On the Monday I contacted her and explained that I could not afford it as I am now on my own and their father is not willing to pay.

She told me she had already sent the form and it was already processed.

The lesson finished at 5pm on the Friday and in text her first thing Monday morning, she did not reply until Monday afternoon!

I contacted Ashbourne Membership that evening and they told me the next day that they had no record of me.

Some 28 days later I received an email from them welcoming me to lol dragons etc.

I explained my situation to them but they did not want to know.

I have been ignoring all their letters as I do not see how my direct debit 'contract' is still valid if I did not pay the membership fee and are therefore not a member.

They are now asking for £290 to be paid immediately otherwise their client can instruct a solicitor.

Given how devious this woman is but sending the form weeks after I spoke with her I expect she will instruct a solicitor.

Please help!

I am on no pay as I'm on Maternity leave and have no way of paying this and I do not feel I should as I have never received a service to pay for.

Ignore them.

They won't take you to court.

With these type of memberships where forms are thrust on people at the end of a free session, they have a large number of people cancel.

They would be in court constantly if they tried to enforce the contracts.

Instead they will try to harass people into paying for membership they don't want and will give up after a short while if you ignore them.

They will then move onto the next batch of people.

It is a continuous circle of free session, pressured sign ups, cancellations and then attempted debt collection.

Those that pay, probably never enjoy the membership given the problems.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Make sure you check with your Bank that no direct debit is set up and ask them to put notes on that no direct debit from this company is to be set up.

Keep an eye on your account, as direct debits can be set up electronically and your bank might not see notes on your account.

If you don't do this, they might attempt to collect payments.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I would just like to add to this that when you cancel the direct debit with your bank, you should do this in writing – and make sure it is sent recorded delivery. If you're passing by your branch then go in and tell them as well and make sure you make a note of the person you are speaking to.

Although UB has been suggested you ignore them, I do strongly recommend that you send them at least one letter informing them that you have cancelled the direct debit, that you are pressurised into giving them the direct debit and that nothing was explained and nothing was signed (this is correct, yes?).

If you go completely silent on them then there is a tiny risk that they might try it on hoping to get a default judgement against you. Send them the one letter and then as you have been advised, ignore them – but keep copies of everything you receive and let us know if there are any developments.

Cancelling the direct debit in writing with your bank is extremely important as they are nearly as untrustworthy as the company that is trying to hound you

Hi and welcome to CAG

Please reply to the PM I just sent you.

Before you do anything else, we need some more info :-

1. You refer to "Ashbourne Membership" but please confirm the exact name of this company.

2. What's the location of the Lil Dragons club.

3. What was the cost per class or per month.

4. Was there also an annual fee.

5. Did you pay anything before leaving the free trial.

6. Have you cancelled the DD mandate via your bank and, if so, when.

Give answers to each Q and we'll take it from there. In the meantime do not contact the club, the lady who signed you up or "Ashbourne".

:-)

Were you given any paperwork to take away when you signed the DD mandate form - maybe some m/ship terms and conditions.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Good Morning,

1. You refer to "Ashbourne Membership" but please confirm the exact name of this company.

The exact name is 'Ashbourne Membership Management'

2. What's the location of the Lil Dragons club.

This particular club is located at the O2 centre, Finchley road, London. I have been unable to find an address for the actual business itself. I've tried companies house aswell.

3. What was the cost per class or per month. - The cost of the class per month was £45

4. Was there also an annual fee. the annual membership fee was £105 but she wanted a months fee paid aswell so ask for £155 upfront.

5. Did you pay anything before leaving the free trial. - I didn't pay a single penny and still haven't.

6. Have you cancelled the DD mandate via your bank and, if so, when. I cancelled the DD via the bank as soon as it appeared on my DD list.

Give answers to each Q and we'll take it from there. In the meantime do not contact the club, the lady who signed you up or "Ashbourne".

Were you given any paperwork to take away when you signed the DD mandate form - maybe some m/ship terms and conditions. - The only thing I was given was the 'Ashbourne Membership Management' DD mandate. no paperwork re the clubs Ts&Cs. just whats on the back of Ashbournes form.

They have recently emailed the form to me which the Woman from Lil Dragons has added to it some weeks later so clearly hadn't sent it off when she said she had.

Slick132 will probably reply later, so wait until then.

As i understand it, Lil Dragons is a franchise type business, where people work from home and hire a local venue for the classes.

The admin for membership is dealt with by another company, presumably Ashbourne.

The person running the franchise may not provide their address to deal with anyone, as they have handed details over to Asbourne.

You should have been advised of the terms and conditions at the time you were asked to complete the DD form.

This was so you were aware of what commitment you were making.

If they gave you nothing, then i am note sure they can hold you to any contract.

I guess that the person concerned would say they did tell you, so it would be your word against theirs.

Slick132 has some letters they use in these situations and if you wait they may provide a template letter.

Hi Broolay,

Sorry to labour the point but do you have an address for Ashbourne M/ship Mgt - I suspect it's Ashbourne Management Services Ltd as they were previously known based in Solihull.

Once were sure, that'll help decide how to reply, and to whom.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Ok so that sounds like them but do you please have their postcode.

They are now asking for £290 to be paid immediately otherwise their client can instruct a solicitor.

Given how devious this woman is but sending the form weeks after I spoke with her I expect she will instruct a solicitor.

The woman will have nothing at all to do with instructing a solicitor, or not. That would be decided by Ashbourne and nobody else.

As to her being devious, it will have taken time for Ashbourne to get the paperwork and process it so the delay may have been caused by them.

Given the total lack of paperwork given to you at the time of completing the DD mandate, Ashbourne have very little to back up any court action so I doubt this is likely.

In the past Ashbourne (trading then as Ashbourne Management Services Ltd) were very aggressive using adverse credit data reporting as a means of pressuring gym members into paying them gym fees and admin fees. They also used 3 year agreements !!

However,The OFT took them to court in 2011 and put an end to their tactics.

Back to your case :-

You were given no paperwork or T&C's at the club.

You were pressured into signing the DD or membership form when you had 2 small children in your care.

There are no T&C's available to view online so no access to info about cancelling, or a Cooling Off period.

You paid no fee at the time of your visit despite the attempts of the woman to get you to pay a joining fee and a monthly fee.

As I see it, you have 2 choices -

Ignore all demands from Ashbourne for now but keep us posted.

or

Write a letter telling Ashbourne to back off for the above reasons and we can help you with a draft letter.

In the meantime, if AMM (AMSL) call you, tell them, "In writing only !" then hang up. And don't reply to any email they send you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Broolay,

I suggest you keep a log of time and date of all contact, demands, letters and texts in case you need to complain about harassment.

Just avoid talking to them or replying in any manner. If you answer a call and it's Ashbourne, say nothing and hang up.

• 1 month later...

Hi all!

Just an update...

the last text I received from the above company was 9th November and possibly a letter around the same time.

I haven't heard anything since and not had a phone call either.

Not sure whether to assume they've given up or to expect the bailiffs at the door ��

why do you think bailiffs can come to your door? :noidea::noidea::roll::roll:

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

do you know what a bailiff is and how they are permitted to operate? knowledge is powwer so make yourslef powerful and read up on bailiffs and debt collection agencies for starters and then you wont worry about such things

Hi all!

Just an update...

the last text I received from the above company was 9th November and possibly a letter around the same time.

I haven't heard anything since and not had a phone call either.

Not sure whether to assume they've given up or to expect the bailiffs at the door ��

youll just get letters from a dca. after 3-4 they give up and you dont hear anything more. ever.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Broadly speaking, gym cases involve no bailiffs or court action.

Every thread here tells the same story - Harlands/CRS will pester and harass but there will be no bailiffs or courts involved.