Funeral Issue - Funeral Directors Wanting £1800..

mrk1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2377 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi.

Sadly my sister passed away last week, she was not too well after her husband had a heart attack 5 months ago.

My sister wasn't very well and was receiving £300 DLA per month and £700 Universal Credit per month.

I spoke with my mum and stepdad who have said they have been to the funeral directors today and they are asking for £1800. My mum and step dad are both retired and are what you could call low income. They definitely do not have the means to pay such funds.

We are in the belief that the social services should be doing more to liaise with the funeral directors to tey get some money paid.

Can someone please help and advise what should be happening here?

The funeral is set for next Friday 20th October.

Edited by Andyorch
Removed personal details

Thanks for the swift replies, with my parents both being retired and low income are they to pay anything? Should I talk with the funeral directors?

My mum said my sister was due a Universal Credit payment this week, would or could that be used?

Thanks for the swift replies, with my parents both being retired and low income are they to pay anything? Should I talk with the funeral directors?

My mum said my sister was due a Universal Credit payment this week, would or could that be used?

If your Mum has access to the Sisters money, any funds could be used, if your Mum had previous consent by your Sister. However, once DWP is notified of the death, they will ask for any sum after death to be paid back to them. So a demand for some of the Universal Credit money back will be received at some point.

With Funeral Directors they often will allow a period of time for the account to be settled. They realise that Bank accounts are frozen for a period as soon a Bank receives a death certifucate and the deceaseds family might not have the funds available. As long as you keep them informed about any delays and they will get paid, they are normally OK.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Consent for what? Tio use her money in case of death or just access to her accounts? Can anything be applied for to the bank she was in? Tp get access to any money?

Will DWP want any money back from the date after death or will they be a bit more kind?

Consent for what? Tio use her money in case of death or just access to her accounts? Can anything be applied for to the bank she was in? Tp get access to any money?

Will DWP want any money back from the date after death or will they be a bit more kind?

What i meant by consent is that before your Sisters passing, your Mum had already been given access by your Sister to her Bank account.

If there is nothing legal to allow your Mum access, if she somehow knew the pin number for card withdrawal of money, that might be considered illegal.

The Bank will freeze the account on receipt of the death certificate and there will be no access to the account, until your Sisters estate has been dealt with legally.

Did your Sister leave a will ? If so, who is noted as executor ?

Your Mum as the next of kin, should be getting advice about dealing with your Sisters affairs.

DWP will write asking for any overpayment back, but this might not be straightaway. If you search for info, i am sure you will find people who have been chased months afterwards for overpayments.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi

my condolences on your sad loss

Have a read of this Wills, probate and inheritance link: https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance/if-the-person-left-a-will

Did they have any life, funeral insurance etc and you have a claim in? (if yes ask them to provide a letter stating this)

Did you check the links in post#2 & 3 on funeral payment to see if entitled.

Have they ask the Funeral Directors if they could set up a payment plan for the £1800 costs? (if you can get above show them)

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

if there are funds in the bank account

you present the bill to the bank surely?

they are allowed to pay funeral expenses?

or am I reading this wrong about the situation?

both of my parents funerals were paid for this way.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

if there are funds in the bank account

you present the bill to the bank surely?

they are allowed to pay funeral expenses?

Most banks should do this.

If the DWP has made an overpayment and the estate is insolvent after funeral expenses are paid, then they will get little back. Should the estate be insolvent, then it is best for everyone to take a step back and avoid any intermeddling lest they find themselves being held liable for any debts.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

essentially people apply for their own funerals out of their estate if they have the means to do so.

If sister was on benefits then the next of kin can claim from the councul whatever the amount is, the incomes of anyone else is irrelevant for calculation purposes other than surviving spouse.

Knowing what the estae consists of may help you,

if the monies held in a bank account is considerable then the bank will need permission to release it,

how much money varies from bank to bank but a couple of thousand for the funeral wont make them concerned if the death cert and proof of your identity is shown so they know where the money is going.

A persons estate is money, property, stocks and shares and in certain cases works of art or substantial amouts of jewellery or collections of importance such as a dozen classic cars (family runabout not part of estate).

Everything else is personal effects and in the absence of a will can be disposed of as the next of kin feels appropriate.

If there is a will then the executors are responsible to arranging everything

1st line of post 1...

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

urm..yes I wonder if you've spotted something....

well done..

and they