Me and My Various Benefit Claims and issues

Jmulv
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2377 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys

Simple question really, when on JSA is it possible to get bills reduced? I've heard of people doing it i.e. getting money off their water bills for example. I'm 25 single fyi no kids anything like that live in shared accommodation.

Does anybody have any info about this? I live up north.

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys

Simple question really, when on JSA is it possible to get bills reduced? I've heard of people doing it i.e. getting money off their water bills for example. I'm 25 single fyi no kids anything like that live in shared accommodation.

Does anybody have any info about this? I live up north.

I was going to mention social tariffs but a quick googling tells me they've been phased out.(replaced with something else)

Click here for some info

Southern water do a capped rate for people on means tested benefits so other water suppliers might too. Unfortunately Southern Water only do that for people on meters, not people on standard rates and I'm too scared to switch because at least I know how much I am paying each month on standard rates, whereas once I say yes to the meter then I'm stuffed and I have no clue how much they will want me to pay each month.

Since the introduction of the under occupancy reduction in HB I have turned my hot water off, I don't want not to be drinking as well.

i also wandered about canceling my TV license, to combat the extra council tax i have to pay.

i only watch videos,on my tv and most of the time use my pc connected to my TV to watch stuff,would this be allowed,

Yep, my TV licence is due for renewal in July and by then I will know if I've saved enough by losing the hot water or not, if not, then that is the next thing on my list not to be renewed.

Let tv license know you don't watch live tv. You can watch everything on catch up & not have to pay a license for that believe it or not.

Not sure about the water, but my brother sounds in a similar situation with the JSA etc, but he has NEVER paid water rates, lives in a block of flats so from what I gather they can't cut him off. But they are now starting to kick off. After about 8 yrs :!:

i also wandered about canceling my TV license, to combat the extra council tax i have to pay.

i only watch videos,on my tv and most of the time use my pc connected to my TV to watch stuff,would this be allowed,

You need a TV licence if you watch live TV as it is broadcast. So you do not need a licence if you only watch DVDs, or if you only view shows on a catch-up service like iPlayer, 4OD or whatever.

However, watching live streams online of things that are also being broadcast on live TV at the same time - for that you do need a licence.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

I live alone now in my one bedroom flat, I had a water meter installed, well actually there are two, and its reduced my bill, its now about £160 a year I think. I still find it hard to pay though, even broken down to fortnightly instalments, as is council tax, tv license, gas and electric. Tv license will have to be the next thing, I would be happy watching catchup only and dvd's.

sorry ...next thing to go will have to be tv license, there is nothing else I can not have anymore.

Can't remember when I stopped my tv licence. I had a small tv but when I realised it hadn't even been switched on for over a year I chucked it out. That must have been at least two years ago. Apart from the initial letter confirming I didn't need a licence I've heard nothing from them. They are welcome to visit as I don't have a set!

To people on about TV licence, when I was forced onto JSA I just decided screw them and stopped paying it, they send threatening letters and haven't done anything to me. They may knock on ur door apparently in rare cases but all you have to do is say "sorry not interested don't buy from door" and close it on them. Nothing they can do. Haven't had TV licence in nearly 2 years.

Can't remember when I stopped my tv licence. I had a small tv but when I realised it hadn't even been switched on for over a year I chucked it out. That must have been at least two years ago. Apart from the initial letter confirming I didn't need a licence I've heard nothing from them. They are welcome to visit as I don't have a set!

It's possible they have been out with their detector van & found you're ok.

To people on about TV licence, when I was forced onto JSA I just decided screw them and stopped paying it, they send threatening letters and haven't done anything to me. They may knock on ur door apparently in rare cases but all you have to do is say "sorry not interested don't buy from door" and close it on them. Nothing they can do. Haven't had TV licence in nearly 2 years.

Just to be clear, it is the position of the CAG that people should obey the law. If someone needs a TV licence they should buy one and not try to evade payment. We're happy to advise on the matter of how, legally, to avoid the need to pay for one, however.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

A friend's daughter was fined £1000 for not having a licence.

Cause she probably let them in and they found her in possession of an aerial I would love to know exact details of this case, they have no powers to enter your property unless you let them. I researched all of this in detail. Also detector "vans" don't exist.

They knock on your door and you can just refuse them entry or not say anything at all. Most of it is based on fear tactics.

Cause she probably let them in and they found her in possession of an aerial I would love to know exact details of this case, they have no powers to enter your property unless you let them. I researched all of this in detail. Also detector "vans" don't exist.

They knock on your door and you can just refuse them entry or not say anything at all. Most of it is based on fear tactics.

I think I made the CAG position on this clear. Let's drop the hijack.