Sons debt - old mobile CCJ - court Bailiffs coming to my home, help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2248 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My son is 24 years old and is living at home.

He is not working or claiming and has nothing of any value.

His old mobile company has a CCJ against him and he has received a court letter today to say they are sending bailiffs in 5 days time.

I am really worried that they will try to take our things and I dont know how to stop them.

He really has nothing but his clothing.

He has a diagnosis of ADHD and Dyslexia and clearly has social anxiety issues.

He has a degree and worked for 18 months after finishing it but was so badly treated by his employer that he resigned,

sold anything of value and ran away to Asia for a few months.

When he came home, he didnt sign on as he couldnt honestly say he was looking for work.

I know how dramatic this sounds but he is terrified of going back into the workplace as he ended up bad at the hands of his past employer.

We have tried and tried to allay his fears and he isnt work shy but has a genuine mental illness.

We have finally got him to agree to try a part time job but he hasnt got one yet.

He has absolutely nothing, we are supporting him entirely and trying to help him psychologically .

Its really hard work and now this!

Can the bailiffs even come into our house when the debt is not ours at all.

He is now saying that he sees no option but to go homeless.

Obviously as his parents and as he is in such a vunerable position,

we would never throw him out but i dont want the bailiffs in my house.

What do I do?

I doubt if this is the mobile company that's take him to court

but a debt collection agency after the debt was sold to them.

the bailiff will be a court bailiff

you are under no obligation to allow them entry

nor can the force entry on a civil debt.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

We have tried and tried to allay his fears and he isnt work shy but has a genuine mental illness.

We have finally got him to agree to try a part time job but he hasnt got one yet.

Something that he could try as part of the process of getting reacquainted with a working environment is to volunteer in a charity shop. Some of the mental health charities run shops across the country and they would certainly me more accommodating and sympathetic with regards health problems.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Best to speak to the court bailiff about the situation and they will explain what to do. They might report back to the debt owner that no payment arrangement can be made and there is no current method of enforcement available.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

My son is 24 years old and is living at home.

He is not working or claiming and has nothing of any value.

His old mobile company has a CCJ against him and he has received a court letter today to say they are sending bailiffs in 5 days time.

I am really worried that they will try to take our things and I dont know how to stop them.

He has a diagnosis of ADHD and Dyslexia and clearly has social anxiety issues.

Can the bailiffs even come into our house when the debt is not ours at all.

He is now saying that he sees no option but to go homeless. I dont want the bailiffs in my house.

What do I do?

Almost certainly there is a need for somebody to speak with the Bailiff Office tomorrow if possible to inform them of your sons medical problem. In most cases I would be suggesting that an N245 Application is submitted to the court to 'vary' the court order to repay the debt at an affordable monthly amount. The problem is, that your son has no income so this option is only workable if you are considering assisting him with the repayments? That must be for you to decide.

Alternatively, you can advise the bailiff's office of the truth....that you son has no goods or income.

As to your concern about the enforcement agent coming into your home, the debt is merely a civil one and the bailiff will be relying upon being invited in to the property. In this instance, I would not suggest that you invite him in.

Almost certainly....a telephone call to the Bailiff office tomorrow is the most sensible first step

PS: Drafted reply before reading helpful response from Unclebulgaria

• 3 months later...

and what happened?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

and what happened?

I notice that the OP last visited the forum shortly after reading post number 2.

As all contributors give up their valuable free time to assist members of the public with their enquiries, I am always disappointed when an OP fails to update their thread.