Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder kken67 Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Jan 2010

Default Sons debt - old mobile CCJ - court Bailiffs coming to my home, help!

My son is 24 years old and is living at home.
    He is not working or claiming and has nothing of any value.

His old mobile company has a CCJ against him and he has received a court letter today to say they are sending bailiffs in 5 days time.

I am really worried that they will try to take our things and I dont know how to stop them.
    He really has nothing but his clothing.

He has a diagnosis of ADHD and Dyslexia and clearly has social anxiety issues.
    He has a degree and worked for 18 months after finishing it but was so badly treated by his employer that he resigned,
    sold anything of value and ran away to Asia for a few months.

When he came home, he didnt sign on as he couldnt honestly say he was looking for work.
    I know how dramatic this sounds but he is terrified of going back into the workplace as he ended up bad at the hands of his past employer.

We have tried and tried to allay his fears and he isnt work shy but has a genuine mental illness.
    We have finally got him to agree to try a part time job but he hasnt got one yet.

He has absolutely nothing, we are supporting him entirely and trying to help him psychologically .
    Its really hard work and now this!

Can the bailiffs even come into our house when the debt is not ours at all.
    He is now saying that he sees no option but to go homeless.

Obviously as his parents and as he is in such a vunerable position,
    we would never throw him out but i dont want the bailiffs in my house.
    What do I do?

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

Cagger since : Dec 2006

Default Re: Sons debt - Bailiffs coming to my home, help!

I doubt if this is the mobile company that's take him to court
    but a debt collectionicon agency after the debt was sold to them.

the bailiff will be a court bailiff
    you are under no obligation to allow them entry
    nor can the force entry on a civil debt.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS
    Click Here To Make A Donation
    If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread
    my views are my own...seek legal advice if necessary
    NEVER EVER - act on a private message asking you to visit another website, make contact 'off list' or by phone alert the siteteam
    DX RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

Site Team Mr.P Authoritative Mr.P Authoritative Mr.P Authoritative Mr.P Authoritative Mr.P Authoritative Mr.P Authoritative Mr.P Authoritative Mr.P Authoritative Mr.P Authoritative Mr.P Authoritative Mr.P Authoritative Mr.P's Avatar

Cagger since : Mar 2013

Default Re: Sons debt - old mobile CCJ - court Bailiffs coming to my home, help!

Quote Originally Posted by kken67 View Post
    We have tried and tried to allay his fears and he isnt work shy but has a genuine mental illness.
    We have finally got him to agree to try a part time job but he hasnt got one yet.
    Something that he could try as part of the process of getting reacquainted with a working environment is to volunteer in a charity shop. Some of the mental health charities run shops across the country and they would certainly me more accommodating and sympathetic with regards health problems.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING
    EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.
    Follows
    Following

Royalties Account Holder unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67's Avatar

Cagger since : Feb 2010

Default Re: Sons debt - old mobile CCJ - court Bailiffs coming to my home, help!

Best to speak to the court bailiff about the situation and they will explain what to do. They might report back to the debt owner that no payment arrangement can be made and there is no current method of enforcement available.

Gold Account Holder Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice's Avatar

Cagger since : Apr 2012

Quote Originally Posted by kken67 View Post
    My son is 24 years old and is living at home.
    He is not working or claiming and has nothing of any value.

His old mobile company has a CCJ against him and he has received a court letter today to say they are sending bailiffs in 5 days time.

I am really worried that they will try to take our things and I dont know how to stop them.

He has a diagnosis of ADHD and Dyslexia and clearly has social anxiety issues.

Can the bailiffs even come into our house when the debt is not ours at all.

He is now saying that he sees no option but to go homeless. I dont want the bailiffs in my house.
    What do I do?
    Almost certainly there is a need for somebody to speak with the Bailiff Office tomorrow if possible to inform them of your sons medical problem. In most cases I would be suggesting that an N245 Application is submitted to the court to 'vary' the court order to repay the debt at an affordable monthly amount. The problem is, that your son has no income so this option is only workable if you are considering assisting him with the repayments? That must be for you to decide.

Alternatively, you can advise the bailiff's office of the truth....that you son has no goods or income.

As to your concern about the enforcement agent coming into your home, the debt is merely a civil one and the bailiff will be relying upon being invited in to the property. In this instance, I would not suggest that you invite him in.

Almost certainly....a telephone callicon to the Bailiff office tomorrow is the most sensible first step

PS: Drafted reply before reading helpful response from Unclebulgaria

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details