style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2360 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Does anyone know what fees a (welsh) council can charge?

I have owned a property for 7 years of which I occupied the property for one year and the property was empty and unoccupied for the remaining 6 years.

I have had a 50% exemption applied for the majority of this time with the first 6 months of the property being empty being completely exempt from Council Tax.

I struggled with payments for the first three years as I was out of work due to a car crash and have been making regular payments since.

I asked for a statement of account expecting my account to now almost be clear

however I have now discovered £1,400 of fees which means I still have £1,600 remaining to pay.

I have been charged £103 in the first year and then £70 per year for summons costs

- there are two years where I was charged a summons fee twice.

I have been charged £450 for a committal application (news to me! Suppose I should just be glad I wasn't arrested?!)

And just short of £300 for a charging order.

These fees seem extremely excessive to me and I just wondered if anyone knows if there is anything I can do to fight these extortianate fees?

The summons/liability order fee is fixed in Wales at £50 and £20 - so you have 2 liability orders there with the two lots of £70 but it appears you have at least one more on top of that. After the summons etc though the fees depend on what sort of action has been taken - some , such as enforcement agents are (in most cases) fixed fees. Other actions depend on the costs involved in the process.

To get to the level of fees you have mentioned there has to have been enforcement action above that which you have listed.

It is quite possible to get more than one summons issued for a particular year where circumstances have changed during the year.