• Tweets

• Wait for more replies, but that letter to me can be interpreted as a letter before action. Ignoring it can have consequences. The court to impose sanctions for failure in responding to a letter of claim.
    • I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
    • Migrants are caught in China's manufacturing battles with the West, as Beijing tries to save its economy.View the full article
    • You could send an SAR to DCbl on the pretext that you are going for a breach of your GDPR . They should then send the purported letter of discontinuance which may show why it ended up in Gloucester and see if you can get your  costs back on the day. It obviously won't be much but  at least perhaps a small recompense for your wasted day. Not exactly wasted since you had a great win  albeit much sweeter if you had beat them in Court. But a win is a win so well done. We will miss you as it has been almost two years since you first started out on this mission. { I would n't be surprised if the wrong Court was down to DCBL}. I see you said "till the next time" but I am guessing you will be avoiding private patrolled car parks for a while.🙂
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2239 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest Punchier

Can I just clarify the position, the above is the procedure that applies in cases where a defendant when making his Section 14 Statutory Declaration indicates his intention to plead guilty to the charge (and in which case, the case against him will dealt with on the same day straight after the court have considered his Section 14 Statutory Declaration.

Yes that is indeed the procedure if you pleade guilty, although you forget to add that only if the original proceedings are under the SJP. However, as you have never stated this before your previous posts give the impression that it's the procedure for all s14 stat decs.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Punchier
I have not in actual fact referred to any specific CrimPR rules (there are many of them). Debtors and the public are not interested in links to legislation. They are interested in having the position explained to them (as I have done).

For reasons that are unexplained, you appear to be putting obstacles forward to discourage debtors from attending a Statutory Declaration hearing. I really don't understand why?

This whole thread is about statutory declarations and the CrimPR that govern them. You mentioned the CrimPR in post #1 so we can safely assume you mean the specific rule that stat decs fall under. I get the impression that you may not actually know which rule it is.

I'm not trying to put any obstacles anywhere, in fact I'm removing them. In post #1 you insist that the person MUST make an appointment and attend in person. Dodgeball then says that if you don't attend the stat dec will be dismissed. I'm pointing out that there is no requirement to attend, something that you refuse to acknowledge.

Certainly if I was accused of a criminal offence I would want to know the exact charges and the evidence submitted before entering any plea.

Guest Punchier

PS: As I have mentioned very often, 10% of all court fines are for non payment of a TV Licence fine. In such cases, a 'non guilty' plea is very rarely ever appropriate (and if entered, would mean that the debtor would be in a worse position financially). If an 'non guilty' plea is entered, the defendant would not qualify at his or her new trial from a one third discount (for an early not guilty plea).

Even if they are not guilty?

Guest Punchier
This thread has already gone to 3 pages. If the purpose is to assist debtors, then any further posts will not achieve this.

Once again - do you still insist that a defendant MUST make an appointment to serve a stat dec in person, as you asserted in post #1? I cannot understand why that is so difficult to answer. It's a simple yes or no.

Guest Punchier
I have already answered this question a few times and once again, you need to rely upon the letters that are being sent by HMCTS to debtors (a copy of which is below).

If you consider that the advice from HMCTS is incorrect, then surely you should be taking your concerns to them (and not here). After all, the following template did featured on your own forum a few weeks ago !!! Why you have not challenged it?

If you do get a response from HMCTS, please do let us know. Until then, I would not want to mislead fine defaulters myself into taking another course of action, and in particular a course of action that could lead to further delay for the defaulter and the risk of enforcement action recommencing.

To be fair, you've never actually answered, rather provided a copy of a letter from a court clerk, but it's fair to assume that your asnwer is a yes. You insist that a defendant MUST make an appointment to serve a stat dec in person, and rely upon a letter from a court clerk. This is despite the relevant CrimPR and the MCA both saying you do not need to attend.

You also haven't managed to navigate why a statement of means is not always required when serving a stat dec - again this is in the same CrimPR I've referred to.

That letter you posted has been challenged as anyone who reads the thread can see, as has any other assertion from a court clerk that an appointment must be made. The legislation and the relevant rule is simply given.

Guest Punchier
I don't understand why you find it so difficult to understand, it is a simple enough sentence. Given the fact that a letter has been received from HMCS saying this, it seems reasonable advice to be giving.

In light of that, i would be giving that as advice certainly. You don't ignore letter from the Maj's court.

I am aware that there is bad advice to ignore court instructions. Take the advice to ignore letters which say payments must be made to the EA and not the court for instance, but as seen following such advice always ends in tears.

The letter has been sent via email by an admin officer at a court, not by a judge or anyone with legal training. The contents are not compatible with either the relevant CrimPR nor the MCA. The letter is not an order from the court and has no legal standing. If it was a choice of choosing between what a court admin says and what the law says I know which one I would choose. If you are happy for debtors to be denied their rights under legislation then that's your concern.

For everyone else who cares, they can follow what the CrimPR and the MCA say.

Guest Punchier
Please try to keep your posts accurate. HMCTS state that the defendant must attend and I would not wish to encourage defaulters into believing that the courts are wrong. With seeing so many similar letters from different courts, it seems clear to me that this is the procedure that seems to be followed in most courts (and it is one that I wholly agree with).

This is what YOU posted in post#1:

Can I send a sworn Section 14 Statutory Declaration to the court (or the Historic Debt Team) by recorded delivery?

No you cannot...most Magistrates court will reject your application and advise you that you must make an appointment and attend court in person ......(continued on the following post).

This is advice YOU have given. You now say it's not your advice but the advice of HMCTS (or to be precise an admin officer). If so, why have you not challenged it as being incompatible with the CrimPR and the MCA?

Guest Punchier
Why on earth would I want to challenge something that works and works very well indeed !!!

If the procedure did not work to the defendants advantage, I would be the first to raise objections of that I can assure you. The way in which I see it (and from the many cases I assist with), there can only be advantages to the defendant in the way in which court manage Section 14 Statutory Declarations and no disadvantages.

Even if the court were to accept a Section 14 Statutory Declaration by post, the court MUST arrange for a re-hearing to take place as soon as possible.

The fact remains that you have stated that a defendant MUST attend in person and CANNOT send a stat dec by post. In post #1 it would be better to say:

Can I send a sworn Section 14 Statutory Declaration to the court (or the Historic Debt Team) by recorded delivery?

Yes but you may be able to speed matters up if you attend in person

That is the true position. I notice that you haven't managed to address your error in saying that a stat dec must be accompanied by a statement of means. Again, this is not what the CrimPR say.

Guest Punchier

I would agree with the lawyers observation (that the courts objective is that the case against the debtor should be re-heard immediately following the granting of the statutory declaration).....and as I see it, this procedure works well.

Yes, it says reheard immediately following the granting of the stat dec. The previous sentence says this can be via attendance or by post.

Is that the CrimPR you rely upon?

Guest Bear Lingus

Serving a statutory declaration for a court fine when you were unaware of proceedings.

If you have received notice of a court fine that you were unaware of, either from the court or from a bailiff visit, you have the right to serve a Statutory Declaration (SD) under the Magistrates Court Act 1980 section 14 to the sentencing court to request a re-hearing and ‘rewind’ the proceedings back to the start. A SD will not be able to void the original allegation but it will void all subsequent hearings and enforcement.

Can I send the SD by post?

Yes but you must send it via registered post (ie getting a signature on delivery). If the original proceedings were heard under the Single Justice Procedure (SJP) the Criminal Procedure Rules (CrPR) say you will need to indicate your plea with the SD – more on that later

Do I have to attend in person or make an appointment?

No, but by doing so you may be able to speed matters up. If you do attend in person and the original proceedings were heard under the SJP the, as said above, then you will need to enter a plea at the same time - again more on that later.

The proceedings were under the SJP, what do I plea?

You have three options –

1- You can plead guilty and have the case reheard as before under the SJP and the case will be heard as soon as possible – you do not need to attend.

2- You can indicate a guilty plea but ask for a hearing at court comprising of more than one justice (ie not under the SJP) – you will need to attend.

3- You can plead not guilty and the case will be listed for trial.

I don’t know how to plea, I have been shown no evidence, what do I do?

This is, in my opinion, a flaw in the SJP system. How can you make an informed plea if you’ve been provided with no evidence?

Under the SJP you are sent a notice detailing the allegations and your options. By beings asked to give a plea with a SD you are being denied this notice and I would advise that you have seen this notice before any plea can be made.

You have the option of pleading not guilty. This doesn’t necessarily mean that you are declaring yourself innocent, but you are excercising your right to disclosure of evidence - you are putting the prosecution under notice to prove their case. They will then be required to serve you with the evidence. After viewing the evidence, you will have have the option of changing your plea should you decide to.

My own opinion is that you should state on your SD that you cannot enter an informed plea at this stage until you have had notice of the SJP and been given the opportunity to seek advice.

Do I need to send a means test form with my SD?

If you are going to plead guilty and stay under the SJP then yes you do. This will allow the magistrate to see your disposable income level before issuing any fine.

If you intend to plead guilty but with a full hearing or if you plead not guilty or if you decide to say you cannot enter a plea then no, you do not need to send a means test form with your SD.

Guest Captain Bluedog
I think it has to be remembered that there are two processes here.

The first one is to ensure the SD is served on the court, the court will not consider an application if it has not been properly served within the 21days or with an extension of time.

Many SDs now being sent to courts lie about when they first heard about the offence, there is no reason why a court should not require the person to attend and declare the truth of the SD, if they are going to accept it.

The SD will have already been sworn in front of a solicitor or registrar. There is no need to swear it again. Unless evidence to the contrary is provided the SD must be taken as fact.

Guest Captain Bluedog

Whilst it is the case that the Rules themselves allow a Statutory Declaration to be serviced by post as well as in person, the reality is that it is now common practice for courts to insist that Section 14 Statutory Declarations are made in person and by prior appointment.

The court can request you attend but unless or until the legislation or rules are changed then they simply cannot insist that you do.

You must remember that the SJP starts with a notice sent in the post. The reply is meant to be by post. Notification of the fine will be by post. There is no reason why a stat dec in this process must be in person - it can be done by post.

An advantage of not attending is that the court will need to re-issue the SJP notice and allow the defendant to read the charges and seek advice. By attending for a stat dec you may be expected to enter a plea without having seen the SJP notice let alone had the time to seek advice. How can anyone make an informed plea without even knowing what they're pleading to?

Guest Captain Bluedog
Our 'new' poster, Captain Bluedog, is a frequent contributor on another forum. To understand why he is so insistent that a Section 14 Statutory Declaration should be sent by post is very likely to be due to the following advice given on that forum owners website.

Just to be clear, I am not insistent that a stat dec should be sent by post and people are free to deal with it as they see fit - however I want the public to understand that the assertion in post #1 that they cannot send it by post is incorrect.

I also want to make it clear that a statement of means and a plea are not always required with a stat dec. In addition I want to ensure that everyone knows that you can send a stat dec after the 21 day limit. The most common reason for doing so would be that the defendant was unaware that they had a right to serve a stat dec and they were unaware that this should have been within 21 days of becoming aware of proceedings. The typical man in the street would be completely unaware of these procedures.

Guest General Tagnut

Whilst it is the case that the Rules themselves allow a Statutory Declaration to be serviced by post as well as in person, the reality is that it is now common practice for courts to insist that Section 14 Statutory Declarations are made in person and by prior appointment.

The court clerk can ask that you attend however there is nothing in the legislation or rules to allow them to insist or demand.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2239 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks