Cancelled flight with Flybe caused missed flight and had to buy another one.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2361 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

This is from earlier this year but after seeing a lot of press around refunds I thought it was worth pursuing.

My daughter had booked a flight with Flybe from our local airport Newquay to Gatwick to connect with a Malaysian airlines flight back to Australia.

I dropped her off and she checked in. Her connecting flight was 1.35pm, so plenty of time to connect with the flight.

The flight was meant to take off at 7.25am, but took off at 8.35am. It landed in Exeter as Gatwick airport was shut down due to fog. They sat around for 2 hours until they informed them that they had cancelled the flight and they would take them to Gatwick by coach. This journey took 5 hours.

I called Malaysian airlines but I had to buy another flight.

Flybe knew that Gatwick was closed and had they said that they couldn't get there we could have driven my daughter to Gatwick - it would have been a close call time wise but we could have made it.

Can we get any compensation for this, any help much appreciated

Hi

This is from earlier this year but after seeing a lot of press around refunds I thought it was worth pursuing.

My daughter had booked a flight with Flybe from our local airport Newquay to Gatwick to connect with a Malaysian airlines flight back to Australia.

I dropped her off and she checked in. Her connecting flight was 1.35pm, so plenty of time to connect with the flight.

The flight was meant to take off at 7.25am, but took off at 8.35am. It landed in Exeter as Gatwick airport was shut down due to fog. They sat around for 2 hours until they informed them that they had cancelled the flight and they would take them to Gatwick by coach. This journey took 5 hours.

Flybe knew that Gatwick was closed and had they said that they couldn't get there we could have driven my daughter to Gatwick - it would have been a close call time wise but we could have made it.

The airline was presumably hanging on in Exeter to see if the fog would lift.

If your daughter booked the two flights separately, rather than as a through ticket, then it's the passenger who bears the risk of a missed connection. Insurance policies often do have missed connections cover in them though, so hopefully she claimed from that?

Thread moved to the appropriate forum..please continue to post here to your thread.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

flybe not fly into gatwick? but malaysia airways can fly out?

Very common. In simple terms the visibility requirements for departure are less restrictive than arrival. There is also the equipment level of the differing aircraft to take into account, too. I’m simplifying enormously because there are many more variables involved....

travel insurance?? for a trip to australia? did she try to claim?

Also as you state you could took her by car to gatwick if you had known - did she let you know once alerted to the situation on stop over at Exeter? dam shame when this type thing happens,

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

Hi

Date and flight number of Flybe leg might help.

There is no liability for the flybe for a delay caused by weather. And even if flybe were responsible for the delay, the liability would be capped at 250 euros - airlines are not responsible for consequential losses, including missed connections when booked on a separate ticket. Everything else is just a distraction from this fundamental point.

Thanks for all your comments. I've since found out that it's a very common occurrence for Flybe to not fly on time out of Newquay. Had we known this we would have driven or taken the train to Gatwick. I think the best thing is to claim the 250 euro's for the delay.

But I don't think you are owed 250 euros - you'd need to demonstrate that the delay was not caused by "extraordinary circumstances" - and if the weather prevented the operation of your flight (which it seemed to in this instance), then this is classed as "extraordinary", with no compensation due. Best way to check is to input your flight details in one of the more reputable NWNF websites who have an online database on which flights qualify (Bottonline have a good one), and see if they think you have a claim. BTW I don't recommend using them in the first instance - you should always try to do it yourself, rather than lose some of your compensation. But in this case, I think it's a moot point: I don't believe you are owed anything at all. Sorry.