question about transferring private plate

fivade
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2344 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, first post here! thanks in advance for any advice.

I'm going to be trading in my car for another used car.

I have a private plate on my current car and want to transfer it to the one I'm buying.

I see this can now be done online, but I'm confused about the 2nd part..

I'll take the number off my existing car using the online forms, and get a confirmation number that I can use to put it onto the other vehicle.

But do I need to wait for the log book for the new vehicle to be posted off and come back in my name BEFORE i do the online process to put the number onto the next car?

Or can I put the number onto the next car, entering the dealerships details into the online form. They then post off the log book with a change of ownership?

Just worried about losing my number!

Thanks

Send the following documents to the DVLA:

1.a V317 'transfer or retain a vehicle registration number' form.

2.the registration certificate (V5C) for the vehicle or the new keeper's supplement with a V62 'application for a vehicle registration certificate V5C' form.

3.the £80 transfer fee.

Thanks but I want to do this online to save time. It says if done on-line the change is effective IMMEDIATELY and the plates can be physically put on the new car straight away.

My confusion is with the transfer of ownership document - but I see that can now be done online also - so perhaps it's just a matter of doing it in the correct order.

Do it online and follow the instructions. Just to be safe id be printing off any and all evidence from dvla site showing you've done it and paid and keep them in the car ust incase your stopped by police

I agree, I will be saving/printing each screen from the online portal.

As far as i can see, i need to:

transfer OFF the number

transfer ownership of the vehicle

then transfer ON the number to the new vehicle

worst case i'll be able to do the first 2 steps then have to wait until the paperwork comes through by post before transferring the number to the new car.

was just hoping it could all be done online at the one time.

• 2 weeks later...

just a quick update.

so it didn't go so smoothly. the online transfer OFF didn't work, as it stated it couldn't be done for my numberplate - no explanation why.

So I have had to get the paperwork sent off.

that was on the 9th and nothing back yet.

Hi, be warned I have just fallen into the trap of not taxing the vehicle first before changing the plate details. New Reg doc has now been sent to the previous owner and the only way to tax the vehicle now is for me to get the 12 digit code from the new reg doc which I dont have !!!! The man at the DVLA said he did not know how I had managed to change the plate to another vehicle, not mine, in the first place. The DVLA online system is rubbish. Nobody at DVLA can correct mistakes. Once you have made an online error it can only be resolved by sending stuff through the post. Bonkers !!!! Regards and best of luck ceejaypee.

I'm going to be trading in my car for another used car.

I have a private plate on my current car and want to transfer it to the one I'm buying.

I see this can now be done online, but I'm confused about the 2nd part..

I'll take the number off my existing car using the online forms, and get a confirmation number that I can use to put it onto the other vehicle.

But do I need to wait for the log book for the new vehicle to be posted off and come back in my name BEFORE i do the online process to put the number onto the next car?

Or can I put the number onto the next car, entering the dealerships details into the online form. They then post off the log book with a change of ownership?

Just worried about losing my number!

Thanks

I also saw somwhere hidden in the DVLA site about retention only being valid for 10 years, then you have to renew it. I was never told this in the first place. I guess it only applies if you take it off a vehicle. I assume, rightly I hope, that if it stays on a vehicle it is automatically retained whilst that vehicle is taxed.

I also saw somwhere hidden in the DVLA site about retention only being valid for 10 years, then you have to renew it. I was never told this in the first place. I guess it only applies if you take it off a vehicle. I assume, rightly I hope, that if it stays on a vehicle it is automatically retained whilst that vehicle is taxed.

I wasn’t aware of that one, but whilst it is applied to a vehicle then I can’t see it requiring renewal. Besides, who would have it on retention for ten years?

The DVLA are living in the dark ages I feel. As a public service it is a disgrace and it is no wonder so many people give up on it and drive around illegally. The whole online system in Swansea needs a massive overhaul to see how badly their rules are affecting people. I have now had to postpone a trip to see my family 200 miles away purely due to one error click on their web site which cannot be changed or altrered in any way by anybody. My vehicle has a legitimate personal plate on it, the web site says so, with it listed as SORNED. Why can I not tax this vehicle without the 12 digit code on a newly issued reg doc which has been posted out (to the wrong person as well) Why can one not tax a vehicle according to its legal registration plate ???? Why does it have to take several days of uncertainty. I have asked the DVLA all these questions but there is no comment of course.

I agree, their systems are terrible.

I set my previous car up for the direct debit road tax (6 monthly). it took it the first time, then after 6 months it did not come out automatically.

I watched for it, assuming it might just be delayed by a week or so, but nothing.

Then, I got a letter through the post, and it had a fine for not paying my road tax!

I called them up and complained, and they said that everything had been set up ok but for some reason THEIR SYSTEM did not request the direct debit to come out. they admitted it was their system's fault but said there was nothing they could do and had to fine me anyway.

I had to cancel the direct debit, set up a new direct debit (did it monthly this time so I could keep an eye on it), backdate my tax and pay the fine. very annoyed.

When I went to tax my new car, their online direct debit system wasn't working so I had to pay by card.

The whole system could be far far better, and simpler. but it probably never will be.

I agree, their systems are terrible.

I set my previous car up for the direct debit road tax (6 monthly). it took it the first time, then after 6 months it did not come out automatically.

I watched for it, assuming it might just be delayed by a week or so, but nothing.

Then, I got a letter through the post, and it had a fine for not paying my road tax!

I called them up and complained, and they said that everything had been set up ok but for some reason THEIR SYSTEM did not request the direct debit to come out. they admitted it was their system's fault but said there was nothing they could do and had to fine me anyway.

I had to cancel the direct debit, set up a new direct debit (did it monthly this time so I could keep an eye on it), backdate my tax and pay the fine. very annoyed.

When I went to tax my new car, their online direct debit system wasn't working so I had to pay by card.

The whole system could be far far better, and simpler. but it probably never will be.

You could have recorded the call and avoid paying the fine, or reclaim it from them at a later stage.

Well, you know what to do next time.

With dvla it's always a lottery, so i suggest to everyone that if possible, road tax should be paid in full annually or 6 monthly.

I know it's a financial stretch for many, but that saves a lot of aggravations linked to their direct debit system.