Swapping two cars: Road Tax implications

TonyM19
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2367 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Would appreciate some advice on the task I've been landed with.

My Dad (92) has lost his licence and has got a SORN for his car. He wants to swap the car with one of my daughters car and then sell her car. His car is much better than hers and it will definitely benefit her. My concern is the whole road tax scenario. This is what I think I have to do, but I'd welcome any advice

1.Inform the DVLA that my Dad intends to give his car to somebody else

2.Complete the paperwork for his logbook to transfer the car to a new owner

3.My daughter informs the DVLA that she is giving her car to soembody else

4.She completes the logbook paperwork.

5.She informs her insurance company that she is trading cars

6.My daughter taxes my Dad's old car

7.My Dad applies for a SORN for my daughters old car

My concerns are around 6 and 7. How does my daughter start the process of taxing a car that currently has a SORN? It was done quite recently and no paperwork has come through yet. Does this matter?

Does my Dad have to tax the car first and then apply for a SORN for my daughter's car? Or can he just go directly to applying for a SORN

Any help or advice would be gratefully received

Does your father's car still have an MOT, or is it under 3 years old? If it has MOT and the daughter insures it, the V5 can be signed and sent to DVLA and the car can be taxed from the tear off slip, at a Post office and I think online.

• Haha 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Your Dad is going to be stuffed for a months tax too, the greedy DVLA only refund on a monthly basis and at 2nd Oct , your dad will loose the entire month and then your daughther will be stuffed again as she will will have to pay from the 1st of the month even though it will be 5th, 6th or whatever when she comes to tax.

Surely it doesn't matter who pays the car tax... Why do names have to be swapped at all with regard to this. As long as cars that are parked or used on roads are taxed??

Its not a requirement at all that the owner, the keeper nor the driver must be the one that pays it.. As long as it IS paid???????

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If father (92) has had his Licence revoked, does he want a less suitable car (Ins etc)?

He can sell a SORNed vehicle (if the buyer is made aware of SORN regs).

SORN should be removed when buyer next validly taxes vehicle).

If the car is off road as in a private driveway etc, and on SORN there is no legal requirement for it to be insured,

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Thank you for all the responses. Just to clear up:

MY Dad isn't palnning on driving again

His car has an MOT

It is on his drive with a SORN but is not insured

Does it make sense to wait until right at the start of November from a tax refund point of view. Isn't it only £12 or something for a month?

Can my daughter just tax the car straight away online or does she need some sort of code like on the renewal letters.

If my Dad isn't driving my daughters car can he just apply for a SORN staright away or does he need to go through the process of taxing it first?

You can do it all online without sending off any v5 and relying on the post. If you want to surrender tax by sale or sorn,

to claim a refund you have to do it before the end of month and it's when they receive it.

if you post it dvla say on the 29th and they don't receive it till 1st of the month you loose that months refund.

That's why doing it online is better cos you get instant notification.

And if the last day of the month is a Sunday, I think you can do it online up to 4pm.

If sorn no refund is due as tax isnt paid.

The only reason to transfer at 1st of Nov is so daughter gets a full month out of the tax money.

Also why complicate things by transferring a vehicle to someone who cant drive?

Daughter should just sell her car and hand over the money,

cheaper and less complicated.