Has anyone here had success claiming back...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2392 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Or avoiding £8 handling charge from rm?

My mum and dad gave me some money for my birthday and I went about buying a new phone through mums card. Decided on a Redmi from banggood and all was well. My friends mum told me that I should ask for the parcel to be sent via swiss post which I did.

So I come home from school today and my mum has a right face on her like dragging on the floor kind of thing and whats happened is shes had a notice through the door asking for and extra 11.42 for charges :!: £8 for rm and 3.42 for tax?

dad said i cant do nowt about the tax but maybe with rm charge and sent me here to ask. Shes threatening to refuse to pay and send it back which is bonkers. The declared value was $21.94.

can anybody advise please.

You need to look at the declared value and the shipping costs. The total is what the VAT and other duties are calculated on.

I'm afraid you will not be able to reclaim the £8 handling fee or get out of paying it if you want the goods. If the item is returned to the sender, you may get a refund minus the postage and packaging fee.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Thankyou for that. Post was free on the package and value was $21.94.

Found this earlier. Does anyone think there is any truth "The actual law is The Postal Act of 2000 sections 83, 84 and 104 - "it is 'illegal' for a courier to hold a parcel in lien of payment"? there is also some talk of contracts, service on behalf of a customer when it wasnt requested and some other stuff I dont understand.

items over £15 are subject to tax and handling charges if incoming from abroad if I remember correctly the fact still stands as I paid for stuff from USA etc to carrier in the past usually invoice by carrier

Tax and customs for goods sent from abroad - GOV.UK

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

you have to pay VAT at 20 per cent of the purchase price? And Parcelforce will want around £14 for taking the VAT off you on behalf of HMRC before letting you collect it from a depot. pr the delivery company for items from switzerland

bee honest they would ot be invoicing you if not!

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

Hello does that charge stand for items for eu, Switzerland?

If the item had been purchased within a member state of the European Union, VAT would have been charged at source and so exempt from any further duties when shipped to the UK.

Unfortunately for you, Switzerland is not a member of the EU, so anything imported from there is liable to VAT being charged by HMRC. You can check the VAT & duty rates here: http://trade.ec.europa.eu/tradehelp/myexport#?product=8517120000&partner=CH&reporter=GB

Unfortunately for you, Switzerland is not a member of the EU

that will teach me to listen to other people. So my friends mum was wrong :x my local phone repair shop said always have 'goodies' delivered by postnl because tax wont usually be added?

Will show mum this when shes up to show her that it wasnt actually my mistake hopefully she wont send it back!

Thankyou

that will teach me to listen to other people. So my friends mum was wrong :x my local phone repair shop said always have 'goodies' delivered by postnl because tax wont usually be added?

I've purchased "stuff" from overseas, and sometimes it arrives without any surprises, other times I get clobbered for VAT & import duties. Purchases from China often get through because the value is under-declared by the sender.

It is a bit of a lottery I'm afraid. If you buy anything from outside the EU, then factor in the possibility of having to pay duty & VAT on the total price (including P&P) before deciding if it is a bargain. Note: Iceland, Norway, and Iceland are not part of the EU.