Another Xercise4Less/Harlands

Ross123456
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2214 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

joined an Xercise for less gym around a year ago and was paying the peak membership of 19.99 a month with one month notice period.

I had actually joined another gym and forgot to cancel the direct debit.

I then took cancelling the direct debit would mean that my membership would automatically get cancelled.

Recently I received a letter from Harlands saying that my August direct debit had not been received and they are charing me an administration fee of £25.00 which means in total they are saying I need to pay £44.99 to get my account in line.

They also said that if I did not pay this by September 25th that I would be charged an additional £25.00.

I have tried phoning them to resolve this which re-directed me to the Xercise4Less website.

filled out their cancellation form

they have now sent me an email saying they can't find my details and asked me to respond with other details which I have.

I haven't received a response in this, which would seem odd for a company that apparently am I in debt too.

I accept that I should pay the month of August as it is a one month termination clause but I don't see why I should be paying extra admin fee's that they are adding without explaining why.

I also cannot get a hold of a real person on the phone, it just goes to an automated voicemal for xercise for less cancellations and re-directs you to their website.

What is the best approach to take here as I don't want my credit rating to be affected?

Thanks for any advice/help

Hi Ross and welcome to CAG

See this post and follow the link to find one of my drafts - https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?481678-Another-HARLANDS-CRS-Thread-After-cancelling-gym-membership&p=5065382&viewfull=1#post5065382

Stay OFF the phone as this will get you nowhere. No email contact either. Letters only.

Keep us posted.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Will be sending this out in the morning. Thanks for the help folks, will let you know how it goes.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I refer to my membership at Xercise 4 Less gym in 200 Sauchiehall St, Glasgow Metropolitan Area G2 3DZ which was a month to month agreement.

I cancelled my direct debit mandate in August but realise now that I should have given 30 days notice to cancel my membership via the online web form. I completed the online webform for cancellation on the 21st of September and so I am now offering to pay £39.98 to cover both August and September monthly fee’s (19.99 for each month).

I will not pay you any administration or cancellation fees - these are penalties that are unlawful and unenforceable.

If you confirm in writing that you will accept the amount of £39.98 in full & final settlement of all that I owe, I will pay you promptly. If you fail to accept my offer within 14 days or you demand any other payment, I will pay you nothing and my offer will be withdrawn.

Yours Faithfully,

Ross

Hi Ross,

I've removed your surname, no sure it'll make much odds but better being on the safe side.

Regards,

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Ah thanks, I never even noticed that! Copy paste error.

:thumb:

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

No !!

The effective date you gave notice to cancel was when you cancelled the DD mandate - in August.

You don't have to use their online system to cancel. You can cancel in many ways, not just how the gym or Harlands say.

Use this revised letter :-

Dear Sir/Madam,

I refer to my membership at Xercise 4 Less gym in Sauchiehall St, Glasgow which was a month to month agreement.

I cancelled my direct debit mandate in August but realise now that I should have given 30 days notice to cancel. Cancellation of the DD mandate was adequate notice of my wish to cancel.

So I now offer to pay £19.99 for the notice period.

I will not pay you any administration or cancellation fees.

If you confirm in writing that you will accept the amount of £19.99 in full settlement of all that I owe, I will pay you promptly. If you fail to accept my offer within 14 days or you demand any higher amount, I will pay you nothing and my offer will be withdrawn.

Yours Faithfully,

Ross

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

No !!

The effective date you gave notice to cancel was when you cancelled the DD mandate - in August.

You don't have to use their online system to cancel. You can cancel in many ways, not just how the gym or Harlands say.

Use this revised letter :-

Dear Sir/Madam,

I refer to my membership at Xercise 4 Less gym in Sauchiehall St, Glasgow which was a month to month agreement.

I cancelled my direct debit mandate in August but realise now that I should have given 30 days notice to cancel. Cancellation of the DD mandate was adequate notice of my wish to cancel.

So I now offer to pay £19.99 for the notice period.

I will not pay you any administration or cancellation fees.

If you confirm in writing that you will accept the amount of £19.99 in full settlement of all that I owe, I will pay you promptly. If you fail to accept my offer within 14 days or you demand any higher amount, I will pay you nothing and my offer will be withdrawn.

Yours Faithfully,

Ross

Will change it to this and send in the morning.

• 2 weeks later...

I just arrived back from Holiday and have now received another letter that has been dated 30th September from Harlands. They are now saying that the September installment of my membership has been missed and an additional admin fee has been added of £25.00 which takes my account owed total to £89.98.

The letter is stating that if I do not contact them by 10th October then my details will be passed to a debt collection agency which may incur larger charges. (I'm assuming this is going to be the CSR of the trifecta? I was on holiday and checked my mailbox before I left 5th October and had received no such letter, so seems a short window to demand a payment from).

They sent me a few emails regarding the letter I sent them saying that they would remove one of the admin fee's as a gesture of good will but my total owed is still £64.98 and that I cannot cancel until I pay this and that I need to re-instate a direct debit.

This all seems a bit dis-jointed to me with different amounts being asked for by email and letter. Is it always this much of a mess with this company?

Currently I have not replied to any emails or letters, should I send a reply for the moment or just leave as is?

Thanks for any help

Hi Ross,

You made a reasonable offer which they were too greedy to accept. The admin fees they try to charge are not enforceable and they know it !

You now have no need to reply or contact them in any way at all.

Keep us posted about further contact from Harlands/CRS, Zinc Group, or anyone else stupid enough to get involved with their pathetic demands.

Edited by slick132

• 4 weeks later...

So today I received an email from Credit Resolution Services which was attached to an email as a PDF.

I have not received any letter in writing through the post.

They are now saying that I need to pay £237.47 as an additional £102.50 have been added as admin fee's.

Looking at the letter, it is addressed to an old address not my current one.

I haven't replied to the email and have no idea if they have sent a letter as I currently do not stay at that address.

Should I continue ignoring here as I have been doing? This is the first I have heard from them in around a month.

as post 11

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hmmm, what date is the copy letter attached to the email.

If they're using an old address, reply by email saying :-

I refer to your email of 9th November and must confirm my postal address for all communication is :-

Your

Present

Address and

Postcode

Write to me here if you wish but I will pay you nothing as per my last letter.

Just in case they tried using the old address for an attempt at court. This is highly unlikely but best to cover your back.

No need to say anything more than that.

After that, you can ignore their demands.

Received another letter from CRS today, this one dated 19th of October which is before the date they attached the letter in the email.

This one is asking for £109.20 and should be paid by 29th October or they are threatening legal action.

This seems a common theme with them, send out dated letters that have payment dates befre the letter is received.

Will be ignoring as I have already sent a response as per Slick above to the letter attached to the email.

Hi Ross,

There's no common theme with Harlands/CRS about letters and dates.

Their only common theme in my opinion is they harass gym or ex gym members for gym fees or admin fees that are neither payable nor enforceable.

So ignore this latest demand and wait for their specific reply to your letter to them.

• 2 weeks later...

bounce it back.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Defo do not reply to them.

• 3 weeks later...

just log them all

could be useful for an harassment complaint

and they

Hi Ross,

DX is right - keep a log of every contact they make noting the time, date and type of contact.

If you get fed up, you can write to them threatening action against them.

If you want to try writing to the gym's HO, let us know and I'll source or draft a letter you can use.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes Ross,

Zinc will drop it like a Hot Potato when you ignore them.

Continue to ignore ...........