Ryanair Car Hire - Goodwill payment

PristDean
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2334 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I rented car via Ryan Air for a holiday in Italy. Long and short is the Italian representative at the car hire firm wanted to charge me for an upgrade as they did not have the car I ordered and also would not accept my credit card as security for the hire as I did not know the PIN (they wanted to charge the upgrade cost). So the rental did not go ahead, they refused. I then rented car from another well known provider in the same area who happily used my card without the PIN to process a new rental

After complaining to Ryan Air, they have sent me:

"As you did not know the PIN, there is no refund due in this instance. However, we can appreciate that your placement fee for this booking was quite high and so I have now proposed a partial refund of £178.93 as a gesture of good will."

This is £100 short of the fee I paid.

My question is, is it worth pursuing via small claims court or accepting the above ?

When ever I have booked a rental car, I don't think I've ever had the model requested. Any upgrades to a higher spec model has always been free of charge.

I would point out to Ryan Air that it was their agent that couldn't provide the specified vehicle, and you expect a refund in full. If you paid by credit card, there is always the option of doing a charge back and lodging a complaint with your CC provider.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

When ever I have booked a rental car, I don't think I've ever had the model requested. Any upgrades to a higher spec model has always been free of charge.

Always been my experience as well. Pretty much every hire car ive used, home or abroad, ive been given a higher spec car free of charge. In the US, i hired a minivan, and was given a premium 5.8l v8 ford explorer.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Always been my experience as well. Pretty much every hire car ive used, home or abroad, ive been given a higher spec car free of charge. In the US .....

I’m not disagreeing, but my experience in the USA is that they ask you if you want to pay for an upgrade first .......

Then when you decline the extra charge that is when they upgrade you for free!

Not in LA. He said the minivan was not available and upgraded me to the van

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thanks. I think I have solid ground here as he tried to get me to pay for an upgrade (93 Euros) then refused my card and also a debit card that I had (because the it had my initial on it and not full christian name).

So my case consists of:

Then not having the type or same value of car I ordered.

Them trying to make me pay for the upgrade.

Them refusing valid payment cards.

Need to ensure I have solid ground to take to court if I need to.

• 1 month later...

There is a huge word of warning to be learnt here. When hiring a car, never use Ryan Air or an agent , use a hire car firm directly.... why ?

Well, I escalated my complaint to the BVRLA only to be told the issue took place outside of the UK so they would not help, they suggested I raise with ecrcs.eu (European Car Rental Conciliation Service). This company told me Ryan Air are not a car hire company registered with them so will not investigate my complaint.

Have been in my new house for just over a week...I will now consider my position again. All in all I am £100 down, if I continue, the small claims court is next.... but it is a small claim.. I need to weigh up the stress against the gain.