What is the point of checking your credit file??

robingetz
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2355 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

You are encouraged to check your credit file and when you query anything that you don't recognise you always get the same bull from the CRA "We have been advised that this is correct", not interested.

I was recently refused an overdraft from my bank, despite having a loan and credit card with them

I was informed after the online application that something reported by call credit was the reason,

I phone the bank and asked them the reason,

they said to contact call credit which I did,

who told me to contact my bank.

Being fobbed off from all ends.

My credit report has nothing on it to suggest why i was declined,

everything paid on time,

never over my limits,

salary going into the bank every month etc.

the bank won't tell me why and call credit won't tell me why.

No adverse reasons from the other 2, only call credit.

Also, I know credit scores are just a guide but experian and equifax are showing "Fair" while call credit shows "very poor" and have been stuck on the same score with them for 6 months, what's that all about?

Is it not my legal right to know why I have been refused credit?

It is your legal right to apply for the detailed entry that shows “very poor”, and to see if it contains errors.....

If it is factually correct then it is up to the lender to apply their own tools to reach their decision.

Other reasons to check your credit file is to ensure you recognise all the entries and haven’t been a victim of identity theft.

neither the bank or call credit will let me know the exact reason or what exactly was reported by call credit for the refusal (They only said "something" reported by call credit, NOT specifically what that "something is").

No late payment,

no defaults,

no unauthorised overdraft,

no over limits on credit cards,

loans paid on time,

not a lot of credit applications.

No reason that I can see.

All I want the bank to say to me is

"The reason you were refused the overdraft is ("this entry on your credit file") that ONLY call credit have reported.

The credit agency don’t know why the bank refused you, they only provide the bank with the report.

The bank know which entry(/entries) is/are the problem, but don’t reveal this information, deeming it to be “commercially sensitive”, so people can’t work out their lending algorithms and “adjust” their applications accordingly.

How long have you been on voters where you are?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

credit cards paid on time

- if you are paying mimimum amount that will ring alarm bells with anyone thinking of loaning you money.

Also what about other parts of the credit report that you dont get any detail of in the online version,

if someone has been looking at your file every week for the last 6 months it is assumed that this is for a good reason

so like with a lot of credit applications not gone through with will have a negative impact.

Now some of the more dubious dca's like to do this just to shred peoples credit when they have been stymied in their attempts to cash cow people so it could be a revenge searching patterm. You can get this removed

get the full version by paying the statutory £2 fee

God this site really opens your eyes.

Surely these dca's are acting maliciously and please don't tell me it's not illegal.

You can get banged up for calling someone a fat tart on social media and yet this filth can wreck somebody's life because they feel miffed.

Why hasn't somebody raised an online petition to get the government to take a look at this if it's a known practise?

I'm in the late autumn of my life so it doesn't affect me.

But when I think of some of the things I have put myself through for this country and then find out was to keep firms like this safe it makes me think how stupid I have been.

its not illegal [criminal] its consumer law civil - unlawful...

but no its not sadly.

its what DCA's do.

as they are in all truth totally powerless

they are NOT BAILIFFS

debt collection is the biggest section of the banking industry.

if everyone simply stopped paying a DCA

the whole industry will collapse tomorrow.

sadly 99.9% of the UK population are dump enough to fall for their IF MAYBE MIGHT COULD INSTRUCTED letters

that don't say will anywhere and blindly get cash cowed on debts they don't even owe.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

At my current address for 10 years

credit cards paid on time

- if you are paying mimimum amount that will ring alarm bells with anyone thinking of loaning you money.

Also what about other parts of the credit report that you dont get any detail of in the online version,

if someone has been looking at your file every week for the last 6 months it is assumed that this is for a good reason

so like with a lot of credit applications not gone through with will have a negative impact.

Now some of the more dubious dca's like to do this just to shred peoples credit when they have been stymied in their attempts to cash cow people so it could be a revenge searching patterm. You can get this removed

get the full version by paying the statutory £2 fee

I always pay more than the minimum amount, and have been for the last 2 years.

I wasn't aware that we are not shown everything on the free version of the credit report, so what's the point of it.

Even a questionable entry that you challenge is ignored by the CRA, they sprout the usual "we have been informed that it is correct, so we can't remove it"

well, spend £6 and get a copy from each of the 3 main agencies and see what they say

rather than bemoaning the lack of detail on a free web based version

Dont forget, anything that is reported that isnt true can land the company putting it on your file with a massive bill via Durkin v DSG.

look out of stuff that belongs to people with a similar name, DOB etc.

You may need to SAR the bank as well, they may be confusing you with someone else, quite common

• 2 weeks later...
Call credit have confirmed that exactly the same information is shown on both the free Noddle and their £2 reports,

so I don't see the point of paying for something I can get free.

For some one who appears so upset by the current situation it is strange that £2 is stopping you from investigating further. Call credit may not be telling you the whole truth about the free info. and the paid info. And EB has already pointed out some things that differ between the two types of report. There must be a problem some where if your credit score is "very poor".

I note that you have a loan and a credit card and that you have always paid what is owed each month on time. However that may mean that while you are managing your finances well, your underlying ability to finance the extra overdraft may be a stretch too far.In fact there are so many reasons why banks turn down applications -

1] warning signs that you are using your credit card at the end of the month when your bank funds are low could be cause for concern for example.

2]Perhaps it is felt that despite the fact that you are earning good money it is felt that you are rather profligate with it and not putting some aside for a rainy day.

3] the amount you want for your overdraft is a bit on the high side taking into account your other financial commitments

4] overdrafts are put in place for at least a year and maybe the bank feels that your near future capacity to finance your existing debts could be in jeopardy -brexit is looming and interest rates may well rise in the new year which may affect your loan and c/card repayments. [You don't say if you have a mortgage with another finance house].

Of course none of the above may be applicable to you and as your bank is not saying, for the sake of £2 you might find the reason in the paid report.