Mother wishes to discharge herself from care home

Pizzas
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2379 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My 97 year-old mother has just been discharged from hospital (after a fall) to a care home. She now wishes to return to her own home which is unsanitary, unsafe, structurally unsound (part of the roof has collapsed) and is in a state of terrible neglect. She is in full command of her faculties. She is self-paying at the care home. I have a power of attorney but it is not activated (or whatever the legal term is).

If she returns home she will surely fall again or some other disaster will befall her.

She has begun to twist the arm of a family friend to take her home (against all her family's wishes).

Are there any legal means (or indeed non-legal, I don't mean illegal) means I can employ to prevent her return or at the very least delay her return?

Any advice on this matter will be much appreciated. I acknowledge that this is probably only a quasi-legal post.

If she is mentally competent she can discharge herself.

You can’t prevent her doing so, but don’t have to assist.

(So, you can’t lock her in a room, but you don’t have to provide the wheelchair to get her from the room to the car!)

Ask the “family friend” if they think they are taking her to a place where she is going to be safe?

2 potential approaches with her are to ask if you can change anything to make her more happy to remain at the care home, and to ask her if she would stay in the care home while you organise a “package of care” that will enable her to go home (& thus more likely to cope at home & be able to stay there!)

Hello Pizzas.

Bazza is the one with the legal knowledge on this, but I just wanted to say that I understand how you feel. My mother discharged herself from two care homes after different falls and there was nothing we could do to stop her at the time.

Could you talk to your mother's GP about your concerns? My mother discharged herself mainly because the amount of the fees freaked her out.

I don't know where you live, but my mother was in North Somerset who have a separate system for people who are self-funding and they allocated us a caseworker who at least monitored her for a little while. Our solution came when my mother eventually got a social worker.

The other people who helped me a lot were AgeUK. I spoke to the local office and they suggested who I could contact for help.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Involving the GP and asking AgeUK for advice are 2 good suggestions, HB.

Both will have seen such before and will hopefully have realistic advice.

In addition has anyone thought to take pictures of the houses condition and show them to the Mother, as well as this friend. Perhaps the Mother does not remember the condition of the house.

And what about the local authority team that deals with vulnerable elderly people. I know with an Aunt, the local council assisted, when it was found that she would wander down to her local high street which was only 2 minutes walk from her flat and she would forget her way home. They helped get her into a respite care home and arrange for a suitable permanent care home. The family helped with tbe arrangements and explained the situation to her.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

She now wishes to return to her own home which is unsanitary, unsafe, structurally unsound (part of the roof has collapsed) and is in a state of terrible neglect.

Has the local council been notified of the state of disrepair ?

They may well deem the property unfit for human habitation and provide incentive for your mother to remain in the care home. The other alternative is to get her to move in with one of the family (if that is an option).

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Something I would also suggest is speaking with:

1. The Care Home about your concerns and if an Occupational Therapy Assessment could be arranged to be carried out at the property.

2. The Local Council Social Work/Occupation Therapy Dept, as you would like to arrange an Occupational Therapy Assessment at the property due to your concerns mentioned.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Is she in a care home of her choice? If she was discharged from hospital into one it's unlikely to be the one she'd have chosen - it will just be one which had space at short notice. Have you visited others, suggested she visits others with you? As she's self funded it's completely her choice. There are huge differences between different care homes and she may just find one she likes. There will probably be a waiting list, there always is for the good ones, but if she knows she's going to move somewhere she's chosen it will buy you all some breathing space. Involving her in the process rather than trying to control her might get a better response.

Does she own the home that she wants to return to?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D