Council threat legal action for fire door.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2409 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

If this is not the wrong forum please delete or move.

Yesterday I got a letter from the council stating that after Grenfell disaster that I as a lease holder (I own the flat) need to provide a gas safety certificate an electrical certificate, and lastly that my front door needs to be a fire approved door.

Thing is these fore doors cost upwards of 800 pounds and I can't afford that.

In the past few years I did ask about a scheme that a neighbouring council borough do with you pay 25% of the total cost of a new door.

they said they don't do this scheme.

The letter says that they will seek legal action against anyone who doesn't conform.

On a side note council tenants get it for free

Any advice appreciated.

They tried the same with me.

Unless you get a fire brigade report stating that your door needs changing tell them to get lost.

Also, as a good landlord I "upgraded" my solid oak front door from the 60s under fire brigade recommendation when I approached them directly and they visited my property.

Bear in mind that it was only an advice, not a command.

I had intumescent strips fitted and repainted the door with fire resistant paint.

Total cost £100 material and a couple of hours x2 (for second coat of paint)

Don't know about your existing door,

but the fire brigade said that old oak doors,

despite not being fire approved,

are better than the uPVC 30 minute rated

because they burn much slower and resist fire for well over 30 minutes.

Contact your local fire station and they will do a full check. Inform them of the door issue and they'll tell you what to do

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

They tried the same with me.

Unless you get a fire brigade report stating that your door needs changing tell them to get lost.

Also, as a good landlord I "upgraded" my solid oak front door from the 60s under fire brigade recommendation when I approached them directly and they visited my property.

Bear in mind that it was only an advice, not a command.

I had intumescent strips fitted and repainted the door with fire resistant paint.

Total cost £100 material and a couple of hours x2 (for second coat of paint)

Don't know about your existing door,

but the fire brigade said that old oak doors,

despite not being fire approved,

are better than the uPVC 30 minute rated

because they burn much slower and resist fire for well over 30 minutes.

Sound advice, and I just love the last paragraph about a certain material burning slower.

the paint you need is called timinox

Gas and electrical safety cert? you are not renting it or selling it so what law do they think this comes under? Now any new works will have had to be carried out by a competent person so you will have their sign off on the job or their gas safe reg number. Same goes with a sparky, they will have their IEEE cert logged