2 PCNs for parking on the pavement

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2403 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I recently received 2 PCN for parking on the pavement on consecutive days (the car didn't move).

I don't deny I parked on the pavement but (!):

1) the "pavement" isn't usable by pedestrians, doesn't lead anywhere and is dangerously overgrown with brambles

2) there are signs around the area stating that pavement parking is allowed and the markings on the pavement are now completely invisible.

3) although, in theory parking off this tiny section of pavement is allowed and wouldn't block the road, it would make passage harder especially for vans.

There wasn't a car parked opposite when I parked but there was one just behind.

As I don't live on that road I was trying to be polite!

4) the first PCN for was for code 62 (parking with one or more wheels on or over a footpath) but the second, issued less than 24 hours later was for code 622 (with the same description).

The parking site is on the rail side of Avalon Close off Whatley Avenue, SW20.

Unfortunately as I've only just joined the site I can't post a link but google streetmap shows the area really clearly thought the brambles are about a foot further out from the fence now (yes the car was pressed hard against them!

The front of the car was well back from the dropped curb by approximately a metre.

Is there anything I can do other than appeal and expect two rejections? £110 seems a lot to pay for 2 days of trying to park considerately!

Any thought gratefully received.

Cheers

John

Here?:

https://goo.gl/maps/Nz154tYASjq

2) there are signs around the area stating that pavement parking is allowed and the markings on the pavement are now completely invisible.

Signs are on the other side of the road in Whatley Avenue so not applicable to Avalon Close. (although GSV is from 2014) Pavement parking in London is prohibited except where there are signs allowing it.

4) the first PCN for was for code 62 (parking with one or more wheels on or over a footpath) but the second, issued less than 24 hours later was for code 622 (with the same description).

Both the same contravention. The 2 suffix on the 2nd merely indicates parked with 2 wheels on the pavement.

You will certainly be able to get the 2nd one cancelled on the basis of a continuous contravention

Continuous contravention decision at Ajudication, although permit parking, principle remains the same.

PATAS case ref: 2110166557

The authority's case is that the Appellant's vehicle was parked in a residents' parking place or zone displaying an invalid permit when in Lausanne Road on 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18, 19 and 21 January 2011 at 09.00.

The Appellant's case is that the permit had not been renewed because they had not received a renewal notice from the authority. The Appellant and his wife were on holidaylink3.gif from 31 December 2010 until 23 January 2011 during which period the Penalty Charge Notices were incurred.

I have considered the evidence and I find that the Appellant's vehicle was parked in a residents parking place displaying an invalid permit when in Lausanne Road on 4 January 2011. It is the Appellant's responsibility to renew their permit and they are not entitled to rely on the courtesy renewal letter, which may not have been received.

However I find that the Appellant's vehicle committed one contravention of parking in a residents' permit bay without clearly displaying a valid permit when in Lausanne Road on 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18, 19 and 21 January 2011.

I find that one continuous contravention has occurred; the vehicle remains at the same location throughout the period these Penalty Charge Notices were issued. Further, I have taken into account that the residents' bay is operational from 8am to 6.30pm Monday to Saturday and I find that the situation would be the same if the residents' bay was operational 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

There is no rule of law or regulation that entitles an authority to issue a penalty charge notice every 24 hours or as in some of these Penalty Charge Notices less than 24 hours. An enforcement authority has other powers at its disposal for a continuous contravention, such as removal.

The appeal in relation to 4 January is refused all other appeals are allowed.

Continuous contravention decision at Ajudication, although permit parking, principle remains the same.

PATAS case ref: 2110166557

Many thanks for this. I'll try starting this to the council and see what happens. Based on previous dealings I suspect they'll still reject the appeal. Is it worth paying the first one and then going through the official adjudication route for the second?

Cheers

John

I'd appeal both together.

The 1st on the basis that you saw signs that permitted pavement parking and thought that also applied to where you parked. Ask council to use their discretion on this one occasion, very sorry, won't do it again etc.

The 2nd as a continuous contravention.

Unlikely they'll allow the first, but you never know. They may well allow the 2nd. Either way they will re-offer the discount on both, at which point I'd pay the first and wait for the NTO to make formal representation on the 2nd and take it to adjudication if they still reject.

A GSV of location please? + scan of both PCNs.

Hi, Sorry I can't put up a link but the link above from Michael Browne shows the location. I'll scan the PCNs tonight...

As an update, I submitted the appeals as suggested above and they've already been declined (the speed surprised me but the result didn't!).

I think I'm going to pay the first and appeal the second. Any reasons not to do this?

Thanks for all the assistance.

John

Their footway policy is nonsense its basically a list of roads on the website with a few conditions attatched which as a visitor you obviously wouldn't know. There are no signs as its London they just decide which ones to enforce and stick it online. https://www2.merton.gov.uk/transport-streets/parking/parking_enforcement_policy/footway-parking.htm