Civil Service Sick Policy (probably the same in many areas)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2408 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

This is a question that I'm hoping to get an answer on and is probably similar across many businesses.

As I have just over 1 year employment in the civil service I can have 1 month full pay sick and then it reverts to SSP. After 2 years Service it's 2 months full pay.

How does this work though? Is that 1 month per year?

Basically I'm having a torrid pregnancy and had 1 month off in June/July for hyperemisis.

I'm now on crutches and the physio and consultant have said they can't see me lasting at work until 04/12/2017 when I plan to start my maternity leave.

They have said they would have no problems providing a sick note for as long as I want.

Now if I was to go off sick in November does my sick entitlement start again and I'll get full pay for a month or will I be straight to SSP because I had sick full pay a few months previous?

Thanks

I think this differs by department, so you need to get hold of the actual policy for yours, sorry :/

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Hi,

This is a question that I'm hoping to get an answer on and is probably similar across many businesses.

As I have just over 1 year employment in the civil service I can have 1 month full pay sick and then it reverts to SSP. After 2 years Service it's 2 months full pay.

How does this work though? Is that 1 month per year?

Basically I'm having a torrid pregnancy and had 1 month off in June/July for hyperemisis.

I'm now on crutches and the physio and consultant have said they can't see me lasting at work until 04/12/2017 when I plan to start my maternity leave.

They have said they would have no problems providing a sick note for as long as I want.

Now if I was to go off sick in November does my sick entitlement start again and I'll get full pay for a month or will I be straight to SSP because I had sick full pay a few months previous?

Thanks

Normally, but there's can be slight variations, the paid sick leave entitlement is based on a rolling year. That means that if you went off sick today, then they would count a year backwards and all sickness in that time is accumulated. In November your sickness from June would still count. If you go off sick in November I would expect them to force you to start your maternity leave, which they can do. Early commencement of maternity leave can be forced where the employee goes off sick.

I'm going to be very blunt here. You cannot plan sickness. It isn't extra leave that you organise in advance. If you are too sick to work at ANY time, then risking yourself and your baby is stupid. Equally, if you aren't too sick to work, you shouldn't be off sick! You are relatively fortunate - you have an employer who isn't likely to dismiss you on some pretext because your pregnancy inconveniences them. I am sorry if your pregnancy is hard. But do not plan around messing about with your employer. Or your health and the baby's health. That will end badly. If you can work, work. If you can't, whether you are being paid or not should not ever be your primary consideration. Employers know when they are being played. And they have good memories...

• Haha 1

Generally the CS is understanding on long temr sickness so if you are ill for a month you get full pay and after that you have to claim SSP. So, for example, if you were off for a year and kept sending in sick notes you would receive a months full pay and at the end of the year be able to claim your annual paid leave entitlement ut have to live on benefits or SSP in between times. Thi is not to suggest that taking a years sabbatical on the sick is a good idea but it would be normal to consider you continuously employed for that time unless they think that there is going to be a capability issue that isnt going to go away..

I Know of people who were off longer than that with liver cancer and such like and they had their post kept on ice until they were fit to return to work . One even went through a redundancy exercise and kept his job despite being absent for 6 months.

Normally, but there's can be slight variations, the paid sick leave entitlement is based on a rolling year. That means that if you went off sick today, then they would count a year backwards and all sickness in that time is accumulated. In November your sickness from June would still count. If you go off sick in November I would expect them to force you to start your maternity leave, which they can do. Early commencement of maternity leave can be forced where the employee goes off sick.

I'm going to be very blunt here. You cannot plan sickness. It isn't extra leave that you organise in advance. If you are too sick to work at ANY time, then risking yourself and your baby is stupid. Equally, if you aren't too sick to work, you shouldn't be off sick! You are relatively fortunate - you have an employer who isn't likely to dismiss you on some pretext because your pregnancy inconveniences them. I am sorry if your pregnancy is hard. But do not plan around messing about with your employer. Or your health and the baby's health. That will end badly. If you can work, work. If you can't, whether you are being paid or not should not ever be your primary consideration. Employers know when they are being played. And they have good memories...

Hi,

It's not about "playing" the employer not is it about "planning Sickness". This is me trying to push though and work as long as I can do before i have to stop. It's not about taking health risks either.

I'm aware they can force me to start maternity sooner... from what I read it's if I'm sick with a pregnancy related illness 4 weeks before due date.

Thanks

Hi,

It's not about "playing" the employer not is it about "planning Sickness". This is me trying to push though and work as long as I can do before i have to stop. It's not about taking health risks either.

I'm aware they can force me to start maternity sooner... from what I read it's if I'm sick with a pregnancy related illness 4 weeks before due date.

Thanks

In that case the question isn't relevant. If you are too sick to work, then you go off sick. What sick pay you might get or might not get is irrelevant. I wouldn't advise anyone to "push through" sickness. It is an easier equation if you simply decide if you are fit to work or not fit to work.