Past Employer, Tax & benefits

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2406 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I used to have a have a minimum waged (UK) job a few years ago. About 3 years after leaving, they're contacted me to tell me that I was underpaid. I am currently not working because I am recovering from an injury (about 2 years ago) so am on PIP and ESA benefits. I've emailed them to query this and they said its just for an hour's salary (which isn't much!) which will have to be taxed, so I am worried if I accept the amount it may somehow interfere with my benefits.

Does anyone know if there is a possible risk of this, or since it's over a small amount, can I just not accept late payment?

Thanks!

It relates to a period in the past where you werent claiming benefits and even though it would most likely be considered income for this tax year the amount is a one off and too small to be considered. As for the overpaid tax, they will ahve to assess what you income is from taxable benefits that are paid without tax being deducted and offset this against the tax paid. As the tax paid will be no more than £1.40 I cant believe that you are seriously worrying about it all.

If you won a tenner on the lottery would you claim to be aprofessional gambler and ask for the winnings to be used to assess your income? No-one in their right mind would, same as peopel can volunteer to pay tax on the monies they receive that is less than the personal allowance. I have yet to see the queue at the Treasury of people waiting to hand that money over.