Help. I cant claim benefits after travelling.

karl1285
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2407 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all and thanks for the help in advance.

I returned back to the UK 3 or 4 months ago after travelling.

I was on a working holiday in Australia for 1 and a half years, then travelling Asia (not working at all) for another year.

After returning my Dad fell ill and is disabled. Therefore he began claiming PiP etc.

He needs help and I have been caring for him.

I made a new claim for carers allowance over 8 weeks ago. (still waiting for an answer)

I have just attempted to make a claim for universal credit and after answering a question about being in the country for the last 2 years the website informed me I am not eligible for universal credit. I assume this was because I have been travelling.

I then researched into carer's allowance and it says you can't claim carer's allowance if you have not been in the country the at least 2 of the last 3 years.

Does this mean I have no rights to any benefits in the UK?

I am a UK citizen and have lived here all my life and intend to stay.

I have literally no money and my Dad needs round the clock care. What do I do?

We are both living of his benefits which is only fit for 1 person.

Can I claim jobseekers if my Dads condition improves?

Thanks

If you have been back in the UK for 3 months, according to this link you can claim benefits.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/coming-from-abroad-and-claiming-benefits-the-habitual-residence-test/british-and-irish-citizens-claiming-benefits/

You might have to visit your nearest Job Centre Plus office and explain your situation. They should be able to find out what you need to do. Also if you are caring for your Dad, perhaps speak to the local council to see if there is any help.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

This link is for means tested benefit, so I will ultimately be able to claim universal credit as a job seeker.

Carer's allowance is not means tested, therefore this does not apply.

If I am not eligable for carer's allowance, will I still be able to claim universal credit as a carer?

This link is for means tested benefit, so I will ultimately be able to claim universal credit as a job seeker.

Carer's allowance is not means tested, therefore this does not apply.

If I am not eligable for carer's allowance, will I still be able to claim universal credit as a carer?

The way i see this, is that you need to see someone at your nearest main Job Centre Plus that can assist with benefit enquiries. Otherwise you risk many phone calls and rejected online applications just delaying you receiving any help that might be available.

I can remember seeing a TV programme a few years ago, where someone coming back from abroad was homeless living at an airport for shelter, because they had been refused any help by DWP and the nearest council. In the end it needed intervention by someone at the airport who dealt with such situations, which are not uncommon. They booked an appointment with someone senior at the nearest main Jobcentre and they received help.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

There are carers organisations you can contact about your situation.

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/financial-support/help-with-benefits/carers-allowance

If you read the conditions for carers allowance it seems to disallow a claim because you have not been in the UK or within the EU. But then it explains about other factors that might be taken into account. You have to remember that some coming to the UK have been living abroad for years and never had any intention of returning. Then a relative falls ill and they decide to come to the UK leaving a life abroad possibly with income/assets abroad they are not using. There might be countries where people have lived, that have a benefits system for looking after relatives abroad.