CLI dca chasing Kuwait debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2085 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Wonder if anyone can give me advice

i also received a letter from cli said formal debt recovery notification

says we are international debt collectors and have been appointed to recover your debt and i have 7 days to pay it in full

they are saying i owe 29033.14

its a debt from kuwait

i lived there 2 years ago

my brother was falsely imprisoned

we managed to get him out

but feared for our lives so had to leave

when i got home i made many attempts for months to get hold of the bank to arrange something as little english i didnt get anywhere and gave up trying.

Im really worried

i cant afford to pay that also

dont believe the debt was that much.

Can they take me to court if kuwait debt

can kuwait sell the debt to uk to recover.

Any advise and help please

Edited by Jo150578

Cli are not really debt collectors. They simply provide letter templates.

If the Kuwaiti creditor wants to take you to court in the UK to recover the debt, then they would have to organise this themselves using a UK Solicitors. If your Kuwaiti contract allows courts outside of Kuwait to consider your debt, then yes it is possible a UK court could become involved. Please do not assume that a UK Solicitor writing to you means that a UK court is possible. They may simply be trying to collect the debt by worrying you, without any intention of going to court.

If you receive any letters from a UK Solicitors, come back for advice. At the moment, you should not reply.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you for your advice im so worried.

I dont want them coming round my house or it ending up in court.

And thats the trouble with kuwait there isnt a law they make it up day by day.

I dont have any paperwork for the loan either as they dont provide it.

I was wondering can they sell the debt to uk company then it becomes uk debt and also kuwait do not have a postal service so take it thats why they are going through this company they are more like am agent?

They can't send anyone to your door

A dca is not a bailiff!!!

No legal powers whatsoever!!

Ignore them!!

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Last time i checked CLI are not registered to deal with debts. They simply provide template letters and it would be up to the Kuwaiti creditor to appoint someone authorised in the UK.

At the moment, they can't send anyone to your address to even try to discuss the debt.

They can't sell the debt to a UK debt buyer and try to enforce here as the debt is under Kuwaiti law. The Kuwaiti creditor would have to be able to enforce in a UK court first and if they were successful, then it becomes a UK matter.

Ignore this for the moment. It is just a fishing letter hoping for a response.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Own thread created

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 weeks later...

Just received a second letter now with final demand.

Saying refer to previous request of payment and note they have not heard from me.

We have explained why you should not ignore.

Then saying to contact by letter email telephone.

We will listen and work together to try and find a solution to avoid the consequences of further action being taken.

Should i also ignore this letter

. I dread every time the postman comes now.

Ignore. Read previous comments.

CLI cannot do anything.

If the Kuwaiti creditor wants to take the matter forward, they will instruct UK Solicitors to write to you.

If you receive a letter from Solicitors come back for more advice.

That's all powerless DCAs can do

Create worry

Ignore

and they

• 3 weeks later...

Got another letter today they are very persistent.

Saying final notice they have checked cosumer data base and confirn i live here.

Saying they will inform their client i have not taken the opportunity to resolve this amicably.

And for them to take further action.

Then saying for me to make a repayment proposal .

Another template letter which anyone can download and send out. Doubt they have checked any records other than those available to everyone.

As for advising their client, CLI are posting these letters on behalf of the debt owner presumably and only informing them of any replies. So no replies, mean nothing to report.

tough you are not ignore them totally

and they

I looked on their site for the letters

you have to choose the country

kuwait isnt even on there

god knows who they have done it.

Might explain why the amount they say i owe was converted from USD and not Kuwaiti dinar

there is no postal system in kuwait

seems they may be going through someone else as well

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Was wondering if you have heard anymore did they come round any more letters or court proceedings. I recieved signed for letter today but never signed for it but managed to read it it said they are coming round to retrieve the debt or grt my finances.

no it does READ IT PROPERLY!!

dx

and they

Hi

Was wondering if you have heard anymore did they come round any more letters or court proceedings. I recieved signed for letter today but never signed for it but managed to read it it said they are coming round to retrieve the debt or grt my finances.

They are not registered with the FCA to carry out debt collection in the UK. All they offer are template letters to creditors.

With a foreign debt, it has to be subject to a UK court application to enable it to be enforced in the UK. If the foreign creditor wants to pursue they will employ UK Solicitors.

Stressing out now

cli sent another letter the first 3 have been second class this one was signed for didnt sign for it but managed to read it.

It says they will be coming to my house to retrieve the debt or grt my finances then if i dont answer they will keep trying then court.

Can someone please help i have tried so many places for advise but cant help as international debt.

The debt is kuwait also but the letters was usd converted to pound but in kuwait its dinar.

Also no postal service over there.

Its stressing me out

i need to know can a kuwait debt go to uk court where do i stand this cli what authority do they have etc.

Any advise would be great.

posts moved to your existing thread

now go back and read from post one again.

dx

and they

Just to show you, this is their FCA status.

http://fca-consumer-credit-interim.force.com/CS_RegisterSearchPageNew?accId=627201

Lapsed interim registration. They just send template chasing letters out. If the foreign creditor wants to enforce the debt in the UK, they can apply to UK courts. UK Courts are quite helpful to foreign creditors, so yes it is possible they could try. But you would recieve a claim from the court, which you could defend and only if you lost could the debt be enforced. Even then, you could apply through the court to make affordable payments to the creditor.

• Thanks 1

thread merged

please jo keep to one thread!!

scroll right up to the top and go read this thread again from post one

things have already been explained to you several times

dx

and they

Thank you for your reply very helpful.

So worse case its goes to court if i do a payment plan is it still foreign debt or does it become uk and will it effect things like re mortgage etc.

I have been reading the whole thing but everyone said they are just letter they cant do anything. But im asking where i stand if they do and who in fact are these people and why it was coverted from usd when it kuwait debt which isnt dollar.

They seem very persistant every week a letter and now saying they will knock on my door and keep making regualar attempts until contact is made where do i stand there.

And how do i check they have no rights to come in or take me court

Consumer credit business

Entering into a regulated credit agreement as lender; and exercising, or having the right to exercise, the lender's rights and duties under a regulated credit agreement.

Inactive 30/09/2015

Credit Intermediation Article 36A1 Limited to activities specified in sections D-F of that article Inactive 30/09/2015

Debt collecting Debt collecting Inactive 30/09/2015

No right to canvass off trade premises

So am i right in reading when in the letter they gave me option for a payment plan they are infact breaking there regulaions the same if they turn up at at my house?

Thank you for your reply very helpful. So worse case its goes to court if i do a payment plan is it still foreign debt or does it become uk and will it effect things like re mortgage etc.

If this foreign debt is turned into a UK court judgement, then it becomes a UK debt and recorded as such, so yes would affect UK credit applications.

You would have a CCJ recorded and could apply to the court for affordable payments to be made.

If you read up about foreign debt enforcement through UK courts, if the claims are defended, then there is a good chance of avoiding a CCJ. You would request original copies of all financial agreements, statements of account, default notices and other documents pertinent to the loan to be supplied, with copies of the documents in English. There is a process to be gone through, that might well take months. I can remember reading that UK Solicitors often just give up, as they don't want to incur costs, unless the creditor is paying.

• Thanks 1

CLI have no rights to be sending letters as they have.

Yes you could complain to them and organisations they are members of. They are members of the Credit Services Association, who will look into complaints.