Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Sep 2017

Default CLI dca chasing Kuwait debt

Wonder if anyone can give me advice

i also received a lettericon from cli said formal debt recovery notification

says we are international debt collectorsicon and have been appointed to recover your debt and i have 7 days to pay it in full

they are saying i owe 29033.14
    its a debt from kuwait

i lived there 2 years ago
    my brother was falsely imprisoned
    we managed to get him out
    but feared for our lives so had to leave

when i got home i made many attempts for months to get hold of the bank to arrange something as little english i didnt get anywhere and gave up trying.

Im really worried
    i cant afford to pay that also

dont believe the debt was that much.
    Can they take me to court if kuwait debt
    can kuwait sell the debt to uk to recover.
    Any advise and help please

Follows
    Following

Cli are not really debt collectorsicon. They simply provide letter templates.

If the Kuwaiti creditor wants to take you to court in the UK to recover the debt, then they would have to organise this themselves using a UK Solicitors. If your Kuwaiti contract allows courts outside of Kuwait to consider your debt, then yes it is possible a UK court could become involved. Please do not assume that a UK Solicitor writing to you means that a UK court is possible. They may simply be trying to collect the debt by worrying you, without any intention of going to court.

If you receive any letters from a UK Solicitors, come back for advice. At the moment, you should not reply.

Basic Account Holder

Thank you for your advice im so worried.

I dont want them coming round my house or it ending up in court.
    And thats the trouble with kuwait there isnt a law they make it up day by day.

I dont have any paperwork for the loan either as they dont provide it.

I was wondering can they sell the debt to uk company then it becomes uk debt and also kuwait do not have a postal service so take it thats why they are going through this company they are more like am agent?

They can't send anyone to your door

A DCAicon is not a bailiff!!!

No legal powers whatsoever!!

Ignore them!!

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM HITTING 'REPLY WITH QUOTE' IF YOU ARE SIMPLY REPLYING TO THE LAST POST IN A THREAD..JUST TYPE!!
    it makes a thread twice as long to scroll through..save data download times and costs
    If you want advice please PM me a link to your thread. PM advice is not allowed!!
    DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Thank u

Last time i checked CLI are not registered to deal with debts. They simply provide template letters and it would be up to the Kuwaiti creditor to appoint someone authorised in the UK.

At the moment, they can't send anyone to your address to even try to discuss the debt.

They can't sell the debt to a UK debt buyer and try to enforce here as the debt is under Kuwaiti law. The Kuwaiti creditor would have to be able to enforce in a UK court first and if they were successful, then it becomes a UK matter.

Ignore this for the moment. It is just a fishing letter hoping for a response.

Own thread created

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM HITTING 'REPLY WITH QUOTE' IF YOU ARE SIMPLY REPLYING TO THE LAST POST IN A THREAD..JUST TYPE!!
    it makes a thread twice as long to scroll through..save data download times and costs
    If you want advice please PM me a link to your thread. PM advice is not allowed!!
    DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

dont go back to Kuwait and the chances of anything else happening are almost zero

Basic Account Holder

Just received a second letter now with final demand.

Saying refer to previous request of payment and note they have not heard from me.

We have explained why you should not ignore.

Then saying to contact by letter email telephone.

We will listen and work together to try and find a solution to avoid the consequences of further action being taken.

Should i also ignore this letter

. I dread every time the postman comes now.

Ignore. Read previous comments.
    CLI cannot do anything.

If the Kuwaiti creditor wants to take the matter forward, they will instruct UK Solicitors to write to you.

If you receive a letter from Solicitors come back for more advice.

That's all powerless DCAs can do
    Create worry

Ignore

DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Got another letter today they are very persistent.

Saying final notice they have checked cosumer data base and confirn i live here.

Saying they will inform their client i have not taken the opportunity to resolve this amicably.
    And for them to take further action.
    Then saying for me to make a repayment proposal .

Another template letter which anyone can download and send out. Doubt they have checked any records other than those available to everyone.

As for advising their client, CLI are posting these letters on behalf of the debt owner presumably and only informing them of any replies. So no replies, mean nothing to report.

tough you are not ignore them totally

DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

I looked on their site for the letters
    you have to choose the country
    kuwait isnt even on there

god knows who they have done it.

Might explain why the amount they say i owe was converted from USD and not Kuwaiti dinar
    there is no postal system in kuwait

seems they may be going through someone else as well

Basic Account Holder

Hi
    Was wondering if you have heard anymore did they come round any more letters or court proceedings. I recieved signed for letter today but never signed for it but managed to read it it said they are coming round to retrieve the debt or grt my finances.

no it does READ IT PROPERLY!!

dx

DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by Jo150578 View Post
    Hi
    Was wondering if you have heard anymore did they come round any more letters or court proceedings. I recieved signed for letter today but never signed for it but managed to read it it said they are coming round to retrieve the debt or grt my finances.
    They are not registered with the FCA to carry out debt collectionicon in the UK. All they offer are template letters to creditors.

With a foreign debt, it has to be subject to a UK court application to enable it to be enforced in the UK. If the foreign creditor wants to pursue they will employ UK Solicitors.

Basic Account Holder

Stressing out now

cli sent another letter the first 3 have been second class this one was signed for didnt sign for it but managed to read it.

It says they will be coming to my house to retrieve the debt or grt my finances then if i dont answer they will keep trying then court.

Can someone please help i have tried so many places for advise but cant help as international debt.

The debt is kuwait also but the letters was usd converted to pound but in kuwait its dinar.

Also no postal service over there.

Its stressing me out

i need to know can a kuwait debt go to uk court where do i stand this cli what authority do they have etc.
    Any advise would be great.

posts moved to your existing thread

now go back and read from post one again.

dx

DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details