Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default CLI dca chasing Kuwait debt

Just to show you, this is their FCA status.

http://fca-consumer-credit-interim.f...w?accId=627201

Lapsed interim registration. They just send template chasing letters out. If the foreign creditor wants to enforce the debt in the UK, they can apply to UK courts. UK Courts are quite helpful to foreign creditors, so yes it is possible they could try. But you would recieve a claim from the court, which you could defend and only if you lost could the debt be enforced. Even then, you could apply through the court to make affordable payments to the creditor.

Default CLI dca chasing Kuwait debt

thread merged

please jo keep to one thread!!

scroll right up to the top and go read this thread again from post one

things have already been explained to you several times

dx

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM HITTING 'REPLY WITH QUOTE' IF YOU ARE SIMPLY REPLYING TO THE LAST POST IN A THREAD..JUST TYPE!!
    it makes a thread twice as long to scroll through..save data download times and costs
    If you want advice please PM me a link to your thread. PM advice is not allowed!!
    DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Sep 2017

Thank you for your reply very helpful.
    So worse case its goes to court if i do a payment plan is it still foreign debt or does it become uk and will it effect things like re mortgageicon etc.

I have been reading the whole thing but everyone said they are just letter they cant do anything. But im asking where i stand if they do and who in fact are these people and why it was coverted from usd when it kuwait debt which isnt dollar.

They seem very persistant every week a letter and now saying they will knock on my door and keep making regualar attempts until contact is made where do i stand there.
    And how do i check they have no rights to come in or take me court

consumer crediticon business
    Entering into a regulated credit agreement as lender; and exercising, or having the right to exercise, the lender's rights and duties under a regulated credit agreement.
    Inactive 30/09/2015

Credit Intermediation Article 36A1 Limited to activities specified in sections D-F of that article Inactive 30/09/2015

Debt collecting Debt collecting Inactive 30/09/2015
    No right to canvass off trade premises

So am i right in reading when in the letter they gave me option for a payment plan they are infact breaking there regulaions the same if they turn up at at my house?

Default Re: CLI dca chasing Kuwait debt

Quote Originally Posted by Jo150578 View Post
    Thank you for your reply very helpful. So worse case its goes to court if i do a payment plan is it still foreign debt or does it become uk and will it effect things like re mortgageicon etc.
    If this foreign debt is turned into a UK court judgement, then it becomes a UK debt and recorded as such, so yes would affect UK credit applications.

You would have a CCJ recorded and could apply to the court for affordable payments to be made.

If you read up about foreign debt enforcement through UK courts, if the claims are defended, then there is a good chance of avoiding a CCJ. You would request original copies of all financial agreements, statements of account, default notices and other documents pertinent to the loan to be supplied, with copies of the documents in English. There is a process to be gone through, that might well take months. I can remember reading that UK Solicitors often just give up, as they don't want to incur costs, unless the creditor is paying.

CLI have no rights to be sending letters as they have.

Yes you could complain to them and organisations they are members of. They are members of the Credit Services Association, who will look into complaints.

Basic Account Holder

Thank you for your advise its hard because everyone i call about help cant help or advise as its Kuwaiti debt. So want to know my right and if what they are doing is right. They added insterest and in kuwait you dont pay interest. Suppose just have to hope they dont come knocking and see if i get a court letter.

Jo, you are going through an anxiety attack following the letter.

They have no rights to send anyone to your door to discuss debts. You can see they have no FCA authorisation for such activity. As with anyone coming to your frontdoor, you can totally ignore them. And don't fall for the postcard sent through the post, which says " we tried to visit you today and no one was at home, please phone xxxxxxxx". All the communications are just to ramp up the pressure to try to get you to crack.

You could report the matter directly to the FCA sending them a copy of the CLI letter. The FCA don't normally deal with individual complaints, but if CLI are conducting activities they should not be, then the FCA might be interested.

Basic Account Holder

Haha
    i think i am its hard not knowing your rights more straight forward if uk.
    But thank you for your advise it has helped a great deal and for me to get a better understanding

I have never had anything like this in my life.

Im angry as i had to flee kuwait as our family wasnt safe and i tried my hardest when home to sort it out.

Then all of a sudden debt seems to have doubled and the threats

cause they know there are muppets out there that blindly pay
    then they run down the pub with the money

as with all DCAicon's
    none of the money anyone pays them goes back to the people the debt was originally with.

they wrote it off years ago. and could give a monkies

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM HITTING 'REPLY WITH QUOTE' IF YOU ARE SIMPLY REPLYING TO THE LAST POST IN A THREAD..JUST TYPE!!
    it makes a thread twice as long to scroll through..save data download times and costs
    If you want advice please PM me a link to your thread. PM advice is not allowed!!
    DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

and CLI will have nothing to do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by unclebulgaria67 View Post
    Just to show you, this is their FCA status.

http://fca-consumer-credit-interim.f...w?accId=627201

Lapsed interim registration. They just send template chasing letters out. If the foreign creditor wants to enforce the debt in the UK, they can apply to UK courts. UK Courts are quite helpful to foreign creditors, so yes it is possible they could try. But you would recieve a claim from the court, which you could defend and only if you lost could the debt be enforced. Even then, you could apply through the court to make affordable payments to the creditor.

Basic Account Holder

I havent heard anything since last on re the kuwait debt then

got a letter today from ward hahaway law firm.
    Saying i have to pay by 10am 18jul or they will consider legal proceedings against me.

Im so worried now does this mean that i have to pay now as law firm involved and the money they are asking is ridiculous

does anyone know what kind of lawer i can speak to or someone that can help if it goes to court

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Cagger since : May 2018

Don't get yourself all stressed out Jo
    - I too was in your situation, and believe me, I felt like I was Interpol's most wanted person, dead or alive, preferably dead!

There are really decent people here on CAGicon who really know their stuff, and helped me see things from a different angle.

Rest assured, you are not alone, and you may feel like the world is crushing around you, I assure you, far from it.

Do not be intimidated by the threats.
    Read the letter again - " they will consider legal proceedings..." is all about the wording, just like saying, "I will absolutely, definitely think about it..." not as convincing as "I will do it."

Unlike the Middle East, debt here is not a criminal offence, and there is a plethora of debtor tools/options to assist.
    You are not alone!

Follows
    Following

Ignore them and read the letter PROPERLY
    Doesnt say WILL anything

And gou dont need a sc@mming law firm either....

Dx

DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Checked this company they seem legit law firm.

How will i know if it ever goes to court?

Confused as well as in USD but debt is in kuwait which is Dinars x

just because they are registered...registered to FLEECE people

IGNORE!!

DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

hi,
    I received a lettericon from wardhadaway law firm ,
    i know you said if i got any letters from a uk solicitor then come back for advice,

im wondering if this company is a solicitor that they have passed over to.

the letter states they have been consulted re the debt which has now gone up by 3000.

saying that unless i pay the full amount to them by 18th the client will have no alternative but to consider commencing legal proceedings against me.

then goes on about court cost will then be incurred and interest of 8% from when the debt become due.

Does this sound like another threatening letter or that it is heading towards the courts?

also has anyone ever had dealing with this company before.

how will i know if it goes to court and will i have chance to pledge my case etc.

]

stop falling for their stupid letters

IGNORE THEM.

DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

debt collectorsicon using a Solicitors name to fish for money !

If they were acting on behalf of the creditors, then you would not receive such a fishing letter.

You would receive a very different letter, if there was any intention of using the courts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details