BT extra charges when out of contract

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2392 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am hoping to get some advice. My BT bills have been higher this last couple of months, about £30 higher. When I checked my bill they had charges me for BT sport and BT HD as I only have freeview I phoned them and was told by a very arrogant man that the reason for the charges were as follows:

My son has sky in his room, the account is in his name and he pays the bill, apparently there had been an offer a couple of months ago offering BT Sport free to sky customers ( my son is not a BT customer) if they had a BT contract. Although I am with still with BT I have not renewed my contract as I am looking elsewhere. I did not know he had signed up and he was unaware that te contract was ending and that I would be charged.

BT said that as I was not in contract that gave them the right to charge me from when the contract ended in April.

They have not contacted me or asked my permission to start charging.

They offered to refund 1 months charge when I renewed my contract. I don't want to renew the contract and feel that they had no right to charge me.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

If Sky offered BT Sport to your son...surely Sky would charge your sons account?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

If Sky offered BT Sport to your son...surely Sky would charge your sons account?

That's what I would have thought. Apparently it was free to sky customers who lived in a house where there was a BT contract, But the contract for BT is in my name and was free until my contract ended in April. I can't believe that they can do this, I had no idea about any of this until I got the increased bills.

The best of it is that they claimed to have phoned me, when I asked when they quoted a day and time when the house would have been empty.

Well you didnt request it or sign any contract to add it....as your contract has now ended I would tell them what to do with the £30

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Send a letter of complaint and raise a dispute...request the £30 is refunded to your account.

Thanks, I intend to but they have told me that I am not entitled to a refund.

Ensure you have formally complained in writing and stated that you have agreed to no contract, and that what they agree to give freely to other people is not your concern.

First ensure that your son did NOT use your account password in agreeing to something which might complicate matters.

I believe it is BT, along with most companies policies not to amend anyones account without first confirming they are speaking with the account holder.

You know what IS patriotic?

Loving your country enough to care for its old and poor, fund its institutions, unite its communities, feed, house and educate its children, restore and live in balance with its environment, plan with care for its future, build its alliances, and perhaps above all - tell it the truth

The Tory Legacy

Record high: taxes, immigration, excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Record low: living standards and investment

Crumbling Hospitals, schools, council services, businesses and roads

They squander taxpayer money by the £thousands on a failed ex-PMs luxury troughing on a plane, rather than feed UK children

• 2 years later...

This is a bit complicated, I will try and make it brief"!

I moved into this house in 2002, as a single parent. My ex husband came round to see the boys, I asked him if he would call at the phone box on his way home and see how I go about getting the phone connected.

The phone was connected instantly, I rang up to set a direct debit up to pay the bills. I have paid every month since September 2002.

Letters ect always come addressed to him. I always tell them that he does not live here and never has.

I have had different responses, some say they will change the name on the account to mine, some have said I need his permission to take his name off even though he has never lived here and I pay the bills

Some say I would need to set up a new service with them.

I no longer have any contact with ex husband.

I have the same conversation with them every time I ring them ARGGGG .

Fast forward to the past year or so, I have had constant problems with the broad band , cut outs and very low speed. I am not getting the service that I am paying for.

After many frustrating phone calls to BT, I kept a log of the Broadband speed and decided to complain using Resolver, as recommended by Martin Lewis. The case was escalated to The Ombudsman.

I thought I had a watertight case.

I have now been told by the Ombudsman that they cannot proceed with the case as BT say I have no authority as the service is not in my name.

I have contacted BT and told them that I am not happy as they have been quite happy for me to deal with the service(during renewal of contracts etc) They have been quite happy to take my bank details and take my money. I have told them that as they have been taking instructions and money from someone who is 'not authorised' them they should refund me and allow me to leave the contract with no financial penalty. I doubt they will agree-Help! Effectively, They are prepared to take my money even though I am not authorised but manage to evade an investigation by The Ombudsman by saying I am not authorised.

Get rid, get shot of them ASAP.

BT are superb in miscommunication, and for a telecomms the are experts in ignoring you, even if they don't see you as a customer.

Try a more reputable outfit, Plusnet, which I know is an offshoot of BT but, at the very least they will talk to you.

BT are the absolute pits.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!