Faulty TV - Outside of Warranty ? - Consumer Rights Act

djb2002
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2391 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I know a little bit about the Sale of Goods Act and have found out that it has since been replaced by the Consumer Rights Act.

We purchased a Smart TV from Currys PC World in December 2013 for £550.

Over the last few weeks it has started to develop a fault where towards one corner of the TV (top edge towards the right) there is a foggy dark patch. This is mostly visible when there is a white background.

My questions are therefore:

1. As the TV is now 3 years 8 months old is this too long to expect to be able to get it repaired/replaced via the Consumer Rights Act ? - How long would be 'reasonable' in terms of expecting a TV to last ?

2. The TV has been looked after, hasn't had any damage to it, knocks or drops or anything similar so I assume the fault has been caused by a faulty component.

It has been a few years since I have had to claim for anything like this and although I have previously been successful, I'm not sure whether I am expecting too much given the age of the TV.

Any comments and/or advice would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

I think that as you bought the tv in 2013 it would be under the old legislation rather than the new, I think that came into force in 2014.

As its over 6 months old you would have to prove the defect.

3 years 8 months life for a tv?

I would give a life of around 5 years for a tv ( my opinion) so even if you proved the fault and it would cost you to do it you would only get a partial refund of say 1 year, or around 20% of 550, so around 115 quid ( on a tv life of 5 years)

The report might cost you this, so you're not really gaining

You wont be getting a new telly out of this, a repair is the most likely outcome or failing that a partial refund based upon the use you have already enjoyed over the last 3 and 3/4 years as outlined above.

Now, they are pretty poor at understanding these things at most levels so you will need a bit of perseverance to even get this

first port of call is your nearest shop and explain what you want (repair or 25% off a new telly say).

If they say no let them know that you are escalating the matter and will be back at some point so could you have this rejection of your request in writing so there is no confusion over who said what.

Hopefully you will be asked to hang around a bit while they make a phone call and they will then take the old telly and show you some new ones with the agreed discount for being a nice customer.

If not then you speak to head office and then write to head office in the same manner and invite them to consider this properly before expenses are racked up chasing this further.

store itself cannot action an out of warranty claim.

dont bother going to the store without calling customer services and asking for the out of warranty team.

tell them the fault and be prepared to give them any kind of report saying what the issues are with the tv, if you havent got one already.

they'll create a case and offer you depreciated credit.

partner works for currys in the team know how section.

if you go into store, they'll only ask you for the report and send it to the claims dept via email.

thats all they can do in store.

even store manager cant get you anything until the OOW team has seen proof of the fault

why should they be?

it only pays minimum wage and the company keep changing the goalposts with regard to sales targets, KPIs and bonus.

if they paid more and provided better training on the products for sales people and actual training on customer service and pc maintenance for the KH staff, the staff might actually give a monkeys.

it pays more to work in aldi or lidl and know zero about the products...

or in a lot of cases, having met some of the partners co workers, they ARE very knowledgable, but simply dont care due to the low wage and expectations of them with targets and KPIs. ask any of them if they'd jump ship to John Lewis and the answer is yes.

i should imagine its the same with Argos, the only difference being that you cant see much of the products before buying.

i find it unfair to brand people as 'monkeys'. however being constantly berated every day all day for not getting the attachments on a sale, must drive you mental. but is it better to have a job and pay the bills or not?

either way, i hope the OP gets sorted