Psv licence

Scoobietufc
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2417 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have recently applied for a psv license through stagecoach.

I have passed my medical and forms have been sent off.

The only problem is I have suffered with depression for a few years however it is being managed with medication.

I am slightly worried that this may have an impact on whether I get this PSV provisional license issued by the DVLA.

I have just received a letter from DVLA asking for my full drivers license with a signature to before they can issue anything to me.

Is this normal practice and does it sound like they will be granting me with the provisional?

As I thought they would be just sending me a different license as they normally do when you chance your address etc.

This is very important to me as my new job depends on me being issued with this.

Thank you for your responses in advance.

In general, DVLA's guidance differentiates between a car (Group 1) and larger vehicle (PSV, HGV, Group 2) licence

(although, may then apply the same, or different, requirements, dependent on the illness)..

It then looks at the illness, but recognises that the effect of medication may have more impact than the illness itself.

So for depression, it differentiates between mild/moderate, and severe.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/618072/assessing-fitness-to-drive-a-guide-for-medical-professionals.pdf

p.71

For mild-moderate ("Without signicant memory or concentration problems, agitation, behavioural disturbance or suicidal thoughts ")

Provided the depression is not associated with substance misuse:

Group 1 : May drive, need not notify DVLA.

Group 2: May drive, need not notify DVLA, provided the illness is shortlived.

For both Group 1 and 2: If affected by side effects of medication, these may prohibit driving (as would any medication that renders a driver 'unfit' to drive).

For severe depression / anxiety:

"Signicant memory or concentration problems, agitation, behavioural disturbance or suicidal thoughts"

For both Group 1 and Group 2:

Must not drive, must notify DVLA.

DVLA will allow relicensing subject to a "period of stability" of condition, (a minimum of 6 months for Group 2), with both being provided the driver has no side-effects from medication that would prohibit driving,

(in particular "medicines that inhibit alertness or concentration", although, this would be covered under there "unfit through drugs" catch-all....... which covers drugs both prescribed and non-prescribed!).

If you fit into the categories where you can be licensed they may want your license back, to issue you with a new one with the new category/ies (e.g. Provisional D) added.

before you send it off, make sure you photocopy both sides of your licence.

The DVLA have been known to remove entitlements from some licences, and then claim that you never had them.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D