Harlands Admin Fees and Xercise4Less

Precison97
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2082 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have cancelled my Direct debit with Xercise4less around 4 months ago due to money problems as I had just moved into a new house and didn't realize how much bills were going to cost, I did not have the money to pay them so I cancelled the direct debit through my bank account. I received the email below from the Harlands company.

"We refer to our previous letter and note that you have not contacted us. You have now incurred a further £ 25.00

charge and are £ 73.98 in arrears.

Under your Membership Agreement, you have promised to pay this debt. If you continue to refuse to honour that

commitment, we will have no option but to take further steps to collect the outstanding balance.

We want to help you resolve this situation but you must call us. Ignoring our letters is only resulting in further charges

being added.

Please call the HARLANDS HELPLINE on 01444 449033 to clear your arrears by Debit/Credit Card and

reinstate your Direct Debit. If you are unable to clear your arrears in full then we may be able to help you but

you must call us to discuss this.

If you do not contact us by 17th September 2017 your balance of £ 157.91 will be passed to a Debt Recovery company

who will add their fees to your account."

I have checked my emails and can not see any emails from them previously? I would have dealt with this sooner, they are threatening to charge me 160?!

I am now in a place were I can pay the 11.99 a month to Excersise4less but surely I don't need to pay the admin fees, that is too much money, can they make me pay these? I do not know what to do and can't afford to pay £73. I would be happy to pay 11.99 a month again to the GYM

You dont have to pay any of the charges at all. Have a read of this forum and youll see what you need to do. your issue is identical to many other peoples. Infact, hardlands shoot themselves int he foot almost every time, so you end up not paying a penny :)

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Read the forum and youll see many people that have all been given teh same advice and letter. They cant do anything. They cant force you to pay and they never go to court. Stop worrying.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Feel free to block if you want. No harm in it. We advise writing to them and saying you will pay them a months subscription to the gym, IF you owe it, but not their stupid unenforceable charges. Tell them you give them 14 days to agree. If they dont, then the offer is revoked and they wont see a penny.

They will reply and start rambling, but its just a time waster. You either want them to say ok or no.

Ill send them an email staying I will pay the months cancellation fee however will not pay for admin fees! Ill also advise if they continue to harass me Ill take action under Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

I sent this

"Hi,

I have received an email from yourselves advising that I owe you 73.98 due to cancelling the Excersise4Less membership.

This was cancelled due to me moving house and then being unable to pay this, I will re add my DD as I am now in a place to pay for the gym monthly.

The charges you are trying to charge me are unenforceable and I will not pay them, I will give you 14 days to agree to this.

If you do not then I will revoke my offer to re add my DD to xercise4less

. If you continue to Harass me after this 14 day period I will take legal action under the Protection Harassment Act 1997.

Thankyou"

Ill let you know the reply I get

Sorry but you should only ever write by royal mail

Don't setup the dd again

Simply offer to pay the one month membership owing after you cancelled but not their unlawful admin fess

Give them 14 days to accept

If they don't

You ignore them

A DCA is not a bailiff

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I will re add my DD as I am now in a place to pay for the gym monthly.

The charges you are trying to charge me are unenforceable and I will not pay them, I will give you 14 days to agree to this.

. If you continue to Harass me after this 14 day period I will take legal action under the Protection Harassment Act 1997.

Thankyou"

Ill let you know the reply I get

NEVER reinstate a DD when you're in dispute with such a disreputable outfit, they will simply take what they want.

Quite what 'legal action' you're thinking of taking under the PofFA is of no concern of theirs, they know you're bluffing, so don't threaten it unless you're going to carry it out.

Get onto X4L's social media pages and embarrass them on there, tell all of their customers just how contemptuous X4L treats their customers, be mindful of complaining to the FCA also, regarding their harassment.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hardlands will either ignore you or come up with something totally irrelevant. Thats why we say to send that specific letter. Once the time expires, your offer is no longer valid, and theres nothing they can do about it. They wont go anywhere near a court as they wont want the court to see the unlawful charges.

basically they try and scare you into paying whatever they ask for, and sadly, for a large percentage of people they send letters to, it works.

That would be a good idea to go on the Facebook group if they continue to harass me.

NO, do it as a matter of course, whether they continue to harass you or not, get onto twitter and faceache and embarrass them today.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hi and welcome to CAG

Please see the PM I've sent you, and reply by PM.

If you want to resume m/ship with the gym, write to X4Less at their HO in Leeds. Tell them you were in temporary financial trouble but now you're ok and want to reinstate the m/ship but only if Harlands/CRS agree to stop seeking their admin fees.

If the gym HO fails to agree, see what Harlands/CRS says in reply to your email and we'll take it from there.

If the gym and/or Harlands agree in writing to your request, I would be ok with you reinstating the DD. If anything is taken by DD that you've not agreed to, reclaiming the DD is simple and quick using the DD Guarantee Scheme.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

I have complete what slick said to me and sent an email to the gym with regards to my gym membership and I'm happy to reinstate but they have just said to contact Harlands/CRS the email is below.

Email I sent:

I became of member of excersise4less around april. At the time, I was living near to the gym and it was convenient for me to travel to the gym after work. However, I subsequently moved and it was no longer viable or workable to get to the gym. As a result, I had no option but to cancel the direct debit. My membership number is W.

Whilst I appreciate that cancelling the direct debit would likely incur a cancellation fee, which I can ill afford, I had no option as I didn’t want to be paying a monthly direct debit for a service I wasn’t able to make use of. I am also now renting a property and simply can’t spare that additional money each month.

Since cancelling the direct debit I am now being constantly harassed by a Company called Harlands/CRS.

They are telling me you have put the matter into their hands.

As a result they are demanding an outrageous £250 in fees!

I have taken advice and this debt collector has no legal right to pursue this erroneous outstanding amount.

I have also been advised not to discuss my situation with them.

That aside, constantly being bombarded with phone calls, emails, even calls to my parents’ home, demanding money is causing me unnecessary stress and worry.

As a result I am contacting you direct.

I have disclosed from the outset, that I am happy to pay the cancellation fee and a further month to put an end to this matter.

Please can you confirm the outstanding balance due, and I will arrange to settle the payment once and for all.

Reply from Gym:

Thank you for your email.

As stated in our T&C you should not cancel your direct debit at any cost. As a result this would incur further charges.

In relation to the debt collection company, we as X4L have a third party company who deal with any arrears owed to our club. As a result you will need to address this matter with them.

This is all in our T&C which you would of been sent via email once you initially joined the gym.

Not sure were to go with this?

I don't know what to say back to that, just want CRS/Harlands of my back to be honest.

Sorry for the wall of text, hope you guys understand it.

Have just spoke to someone from my company and apparently it is possible I could get a CCJ from this? Is this true because I'd rather pay it than get a CCJ?

HAhahahahaha, a CCJ for a poxy gym debt!!!

There is absolutely NO chance you will EVER get a CCJ from this, your friend is ill informed

Who?? Advised you to pay the cancellation fee??

That is incorrect and isn't what you were advised to send, and that email is not what you were advised either.

You simply TELL the gym that you will pay one months fee to close the matter, if they agree it will be paid promptly, if they fail to agree and insist on adding penalty fees, then you'll withdraw the offer and will pay nothing.

Have a look at one of Slicks letters, and you will get the idea, you possibly owe one months fee, NOTHING else, if they fail to accept it, then you pay them nothing.

Just had a letter through from CRS saying that they may pass my account to another Collection Agency who will take further action? Also says they may file a CCJ against me? Can someone advise me a letter to reply to them? I have 10 days to reply and getting worried even though I don't think I should be?

read it properly

doesn't say WILL anything.

no you don't reply

CRS are a DCA

a DCA is

NOT A BAILIFF

and have

NO LEGAL POWERS WHATSOEVER.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

They wont do ANYTHING. They cant and never have done. Theyre just empty threats.

And a DCA has no rights anyway, so they wont do anything apart from send you letters suitable for use as toilet paper.

You dont have 10 days at all. Just ignore their silly prattle.

Hi Precision,

I have 10 days to reply and getting worried even though I don't think I should be?

You need to read more threads here. There are 100's and Harlands/CRS do NOT take court action because they haven't got a legal leg to stand on !!

At worst, you'll get a begging letter from The Zinc Group that can simply ignore.

Demands from Harlands/CRS are full of Hot Air and can mostly be ignored.

NOTHING at all to worry about.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Just had a letter through from CRS saying that they may pass my account to another Collection Agency who will take further action? Also says they may file a CCJ against me?

If they have sent that in writing, report them (DCA) to the FCA, completely misleading and a very deliberate attempt to exploit a debtors lack of knowledge.

...getting worried even though I don't think I should be?

Precision, here's how it is.

If you're finding this too stressful then just pay them what they're demanding and be rid of the problem. It's not a huge amount of money, just write it off and forget about it. But be in no doubt that they are demanding more than they are properly entitled to, and more than you morally owe them. It's like giving money to an aggressive beggar.

If however you're in the mood to say "No" and assert your rights, then CAG is exactly the place to be. The admins and regular posters here are very knowledgeable, and they will not advise you badly. You can refuse to pay their demands, and offer only a reasonable settlement. You can enjoy a sense of victory, even if it takes some time and minor hassle.

Because they are going to carry on threatening you. That's what these companies do. And they're good at it - they have tricks and template letters designed to shake your confidence. They will insinuate court action, CCJs, credit blacklisting, trouble with your employer, and the sacrifice of your first-born child to Satan if they think they can get away with it. And it may go on for several years, with the 'debt' being passed from one front company to another.

But the vital thing to remember is that if they had a viable case they would be taking it to court and obtaining a judgement which they could enforce against your assets or income. So why aren't they doing that? Certainly not because of any concern for your welfare, because they only care about their own company's interests. What are they afraid of? We know the answer, they won't take it to court because they know it would go badly for them.

So you need to make a decision now. Pay them what they demand, or offer a reasonable settlement and fold your arms. The worst thing possible is to fanny around in the middle. Nothing you say to them will make them stop, in fact they are encouraged by long, windy replies. They know they're getting under your skin, and you might break soon and pay what they want.

Trust the site team. They have together dealt with hundreds of these cases, they know what they're doing. Good luck, whatever you decide.

• 7 months later...

Threads old you wont get seen here

Start a new thread

Of you r own please

and they