Trying to get ladders removed***Resolved***

Consett26
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2374 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Three weeks ago I had the fascias on my house painted.

As I live in a three storey house this necessitated the use of a very large set of ladders.

When he finished the work, the painter asked if he could leave his ladders at my house until Friday. I agreed.

On Friday he did some remedial work and asked if he could leave the ladders until Monday when he would have his large van.

I reluctantly agreed out of pragmatism – there was little he could do if I’d said no.

Three weeks later, the ladders are still here and he won’t return my calls

. I’m of the opinion that he is intending to leave them here until the next time he needs them, in effect forcing me to allow the use of my house as industrial storage but it could be that he’s gone out of business or dead or anything else.

Ideally I’d like him to come and collect the ladders but there is no pressure or incentive for him to do so.

Nevertheless I want them removed and have considered:

1) Getting the council to come and take the ladders for recycling (I know this is probably illegal)

2) Giving him a deadline then, if he doesn’t collect them, charging him for storage.

3) Giving him a deadline then, if he doesn’t collect them, selling them and give him the proceeds

I don’t know if any of these ideas are lawful but there must surely be something I can do to get the ladders removed.

Any suggestions?

This is a ploy used by a few trades, I am a painter to trade and would leave my large ladder on a finished job until I could get somewhere to put them.

I've never actually left ladders 'in' someone's house but usually padlocked them to some sort of solid fixing on the house.

I'd inform him if the Ladder is not shifted within a week you will be getting rid of them one way or another.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

what do you think he would say if you told him they were stolen?

other than tring to shock him into action you can only send him a letter telling hito remove them within a reasonable time (say a month) otherwise you will dispose of them and bill him for the cost of doing so. You cant charge for storage as you dint agree to this at the beginning and yu cant dispose of them without the suitable notice period. Once that has passed how you get rid of them is up to you, if you make a profit you must pass that on, if you make a loss you can bill him for the disposal costs. You cant keep them either

what do you think he would say if you told him they were stolen?

other than tring to shock him into action you can only send him a letter telling hito remove them within a reasonable time (say a month) otherwise you will dispose of them and bill him for the cost of doing so. You cant charge for storage as you dint agree to this at the beginning and yu cant dispose of them without the suitable notice period. Once that has passed how you get rid of them is up to you, if you make a profit you must pass that on, if you make a loss you can bill him for the disposal costs. You cant keep them either

He would disbelieve that they were stolen, certainly without me being complicit. They are huge - in excess of 5m and three separate ladders that weigh a considerable amount. (The same thought has crossed my mind)

Can I legally dispose of them after the notice period? What law allows me to do this? It would be useful to know so I can quote it when I give him the ultimatum

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Give your windows a wash before you get shot :)

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I gave him a week to collect them. He didn't. After he missed the deadline I asked for his bank details so I could pay him what I got from selling the ladders and he said he'd be there the next day. He wasn't, so the day after that I put the ladders up for sale in a local facebook group. An hour later they were collected :-)

An hour later they were collected :-)

by the painter :)