Forcing redundancy

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2423 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I think my employer is trying to force a redundancy.

After several promotions and promises of additional resources which were never forthcoming, a few months back they announced a part of my job had changed. More recently they announced in a meeting where there were others present that someone else was coming in to take over another part of my job and report to someone else and that I should hand over to them. I also know that further changes are afoot. I didn't agree to these changes so have to do something.

A redundancy situation couldn't be fair as the work has not diminished? It has increased. The thing is that they've done this with others.

I don't want to go the grievance route but I feel I have no option? I always think of grievances as the relationship breaker but having said that the relationship appears to be broken anyway?

I know I have to act soon but any guidance on where I stand would be greatly appreciated. Their behaviour to me on a daily basis is both hostile and distant and the stress over the last few months has been enormous.

Thank you

they can do whatever they like, accept it, anybody made redundant then that position cannot be filled for a set period, this method is nothing new believe you me, been there, wrote the book, wrote the review & read it.

meantime if you are not happy then look for another job whilst you still have an income?

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

I'm afraid that I agree. There is no indication that they are doing anything unlawful here. The fact that you don't agree with the changes is irrelevant - it's their business and they don't need your agreement. And a diminishing workload is only one of the reasons for redundancy; changed priorities, restructuring the work (and posts), increased workload - these are all amongst legally fair reasons for redundancy. If you cannot continue to work in these circumstances, then finding another role is the only realistic action you can take - and probably the most sensible one, since redundancy payments are generally only attractive when you don't factor in the fact that you no longer have a job and if you don't get one quickly then you will have no income. Assuming that you are correct and redundancy is looming, the only thing they have to do is follow a legally fair process. Something a trained monkey could do, it is that simple.

I'm afraid that I agree. There is no indication that they are doing anything unlawful here. The fact that you don't agree with the changes is irrelevant - it's their business and they don't need your agreement. And a diminishing workload is only one of the reasons for redundancy; changed priorities, restructuring the work (and posts), increased workload - these are all amongst legally fair reasons for redundancy. If you cannot continue to work in these circumstances, then finding another role is the only realistic action you can take - and probably the most sensible one, since redundancy payments are generally only attractive when you don't factor in the fact that you no longer have a job and if you don't get one quickly then you will have no income. Assuming that you are correct and redundancy is looming, the only thing they have to do is follow a legally fair process. Something a trained monkey could do, it is that simple.

Thank you. I've seen correspondence that details their intent so I'm pretty sure. I was hoping that a grievance would help to at least air everything but i may be naive. They are putting a lot of pressure on me to document everything I do too which doesn't help. Am I not better following procedure? Or is it just a case of waiting? If I don't document my discontent then surely I will have no recourse later?

Thank you. I've seen correspondence that details their intent so I'm pretty sure. I was hoping that a grievance would help to at least air everything but i may be naive. They are putting a lot of pressure on me to document everything I do too which doesn't help. Am I not better following procedure? Or is it just a case of waiting? If I don't document my discontent then surely I will have no recourse later?

I agree with Emmzzi. Why not simply start the conversation yourself. Alternatively, say nothing, put your head down and use the space you have to find another job. But a grievance simply brings things to a head immediately - that may actually prompt the final step. Unless you want to do that. But be aware that on the face of it there doesn't appear to be anything they are doing here that breaks the law.

have they indicated that they intend to change your salary or terms of employment? Does your company do individual staff appraisal and if so what was said the last time round.

TBH if an employer wanted to pay me a salary that is above the job evaluation then I wouldnt be upset. If they are downgrading your job and intend to make the salary follow suit then that is another matter. You need to find out if you are lacking certain skills they think these particualr elements require and believe that you dont have them so you caneither do the training necessary or show that you do have the full tool box. If it is purely a matter of quantity and not quality that ahs made them change your role the again I wouldnt fret too much as long as you are fairly happy with what you do or can accept that work allows you to do other things and is only a means to an end. I dont see redundamcy in this