Coming off ESA as offered part-time work, affects on PIP?

Vixen7
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2376 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I'm in the Support group for ESA, was on Contribution based Incapacity Benefit from 2003, transferred to ESA without a medical in 2013. Was also on DLA high rate Care and Mobility from 2003, transferred to PIP in 2016 (downgraded to Standard Rate by an one of the 'trusty' so-called HP's !).

My query is this, I have been thinking about coming off ESA as I've been offered part-time work (16 hrs a week) at a sitting down job (I have mobility problems) and can claim Working tax credit.

Question 1) I would obviously write to DWP to say I want to come off ESA, but do I have to give a reason and has anyone on here ever done this ?.

Question 2) If anyone HAS done this, has it affected their PIP?. I've scrutinized the PIP rules and nowhere does it state that they have to be informed if one started work, they only need to be informed if a health condition worsens or improves.

I would be financially a lot better off if I did do the part-time job, claimed WTC and came off the ESA so obviously wish to do so. Any help appreciated.

Edited by honeybee13
Paras

I have no direct experience of this situation, but you need to be quite careful and consider some less obvious issues before making a decision to give up your ESA. Some thoughts:-

1. If you're in the Support group, the effects of your condition must be quite serious. Are you absolutely sure you could manage even part time work? Would it be possible for you to do fewer hours for a while to see if it suits you, particularly if you would be able to do that under the permitted work rules? The problem is that if you give up your ESA to start work and then can't manage the hours, you may have extreme difficulty getting back into the support group or even getting any award of ESA - if you think you're capable of work, then DWP are likely to agree with you. If you can, it would be much better to do some permitted work first.

2. You don't have to give a reason for stopping your ESA, but if you have to reclaim, they will know that you have been working. I'm not sure on the rules for 'linked claims' now, but it used to be that you had to reclaim within quite a short time for your claims to be linked together so that e.g. you still qualify for contribution based ESA without having had to make sufficient NI contributions. If you don't reclaim within that time, then it's treated as an entirely new claim, you'd be back on the assessment rate until your WCA and you wouldn't get any increase if they put you in WRAG.

3. Working should not affect your PIP unless what you are doing contradicts the limitations you have claimed, so if the rules were fairly applied there would be no effect on your existing or any future award. You don't have to tell them if you start or stop work, but assuming you have a time limited award, it will certainly come up when you're reassessed.

4. Have you checked the rules for WTC if you're disabled? Would you have to do 16 hours to claim? Could you possibly get help with transport costs under access to work?

5. Does anyone claim carer's allowance for you? Have you considered the effect on them if you start working and lose your PIP award? Also if you get disability premiums on any other benefits or someone else gets carer's premiums on their benefits, have you taken those into account?

That's all I can think of for now. It might sound negative, but taking a chance on returning to work could have quite serious repercussions in the future. However, if you do decide to take the job, I wish you the best of luck.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to say thanks to Mikey Dabodee and Reallymadwoman for replying to my above questions. Haven't been on here for a while. Decided not to take up the offer I had of part-time work after thinking over the problems which may arise. Cheers.