style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2430 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

What information is required by an Agency if someone wants to rent a flat/property ?

My niece was asked for :

Passport

Driving Licence

6 months pay slips

Employers Reference

6 months bank statements

Utility Bills

She was then charged £400.00 for the agency not showing anyone round the flat she was interested in whilst they were doing credit checks? Surely these take no time at all now? She was also advised that should the credit check not be satisfactory - then she would lose the £400.00 anyway?

All this was aside from the 2 months rent in advance.

She was not however, asked for a reference from the Landlady she had rented from for the past 4 years and who wanted the property back because she was going to live in it herself.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

it is lawful for the agency to charge this but as you know the law will change to stop it. £400 is excessive but in London and the SE there is a supply/demand imbalance so they get away with these excessive fees. Passport needed to show residency status, that should negate the need for driving licence. Likewise utility bills are often not available for youngsters as they previously lived at home. The LA is after proof of last address in case the leccy co gets done over. The limiting of showing people around is again quite normal in the SE but it does make you wonder whetehr this is actually in the landlord's interests but there again most LL using a LA that charges so much are mostly amateurs so they dont know they are being robbed blind as well as the prospective tenant ( same excuse for charges)

In short, she has to swallow and pay up or get nowhere.

As an aside, I have a friend who owns property in Fulham woth about £1.5 million yet the going rate for rentals hase gone down from £2800/month to £2400/month. This equates to a ROI of under 2% before costs so something seriously wrong with London housing market. This may mean that LA are trying to load costs on upfront as they are losing a fortune in management fees with these drops.

Thank you guys for this information.

Mariner, I agree with you, there needs to be a system in place that protects landlords as well as their tenants. In this instance it just seemed to me that the requirements for proof of identity were OTT. The £400.00 excessive and unfair IMHO. We can go to a bank and they can check your credit record there and then and you can walk out of the bank with a huge loan.. so why does it take so long for a Letting Agency whereby they need to charge to not show anyone else the property?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D