• Tweets

• The text on the N1SDT Claim Form 1.The claim is for breaching the terms and conditions set on private land. 2. The defendant's vehicle, NumberPlate, was identified in the Leeds Bradford Airport Roadways on the 28/07/2023 in breach of the advertised terms and conditions; namely Stopping in a zone where stopping is prohibited 3.At all material times the Defendant was the registered keeper and/or driver. 4. The terms and conditions upon  entering private land were clearly displayed at the entrance and in prominent locations 5. The sign was the offer and the act of entering private land was the acceptance of the offer hereby entering into a contract by conduct. 6.The signs specifically detail the terms and conditions and the consequences of failure to comply,  namely a parking charge notice will be issued, and the Defendant has failed to settle the outstanding liability. 7.The claimant seeks the recovery of the parking charge notice, contractual costs and interest.   This is what I am thinking of for the wording of my defence The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and are generic in nature which fails to comply with CPR 16.4. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 1. Paragraph 1 is denied. It is denied that the Defendant ever entered into a contract to breach any terms and conditions of the stated private land. 2. Paragraph 2 and 4 are denied. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was only contracted to provide car park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. 3. It is admitted that Defendant is the recorded keeper of the vehicle. 4.  Paragraph 6 is denied the claimant has yet to evidence that their contract with the landowner supersedes  Leeds Bradford airport byelaws. Further it is denied that the Claimant’s signage is capable of creating a legally binding contract. 5. Paragraph 7 is denied, there are no contractual costs and interest cannot be accrued on a speculative charge.   I'm not sure whether point 4 is correct as I think this side road is not covered by byelaws? Any other suggestions/corrections would be appreciated.
    • Dear EVRi parcelnet LTD t/a evri   evri parcelnet isnt a thing also you say defendant's response which is a bit of a weird format.   Something like   Dear EVRi, Claim no xxxx In your defence you said you could not access tracking. Please see attached receipt and label Regards
    • Welcome to the Forum I have moved your topic to the appropriate forum  Residential and Commercial lettings/Freehold issues Please continue to post here.   Andy
    • Please provide advice on the following situation: I rented out my property to four students for 16 months until March 2024. Initially, the property was in very good condition, but now it needs extensive renovation. This includes redoing the bathroom, replacing the kitchen, removing wallpaper, and redecorating due to significant mould growth. The tenants also left their furniture on the grass, which is owned by the local authority. As a landlord, I've met all legal requirements. It seems the damage was caused by poor ventilation—windows were always closed, and heating wasn't used. There was also a bathroom leak fixed by reapplying silicone. I tried to claim insurance, but it was denied, citing tenant behaviour as the cause by looking at the photos, which isn't covered. The deposit barely covers the repair costs, or else I'll have to pursue money claims, which I've never done before and am unsure about its legal complications or costs. Any thoughts on this?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Business Internet Company claimform - suing for cancelling contract***Struck Out***

maggie60
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2215 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am helping a friend/client defend a summons from their former business Internet suppliers.

Long story short, they were happily using BT for their phones and Internet for many years, until some Mickey Mouse outfit called them and said they could provide everything BT did at a fraction of the price.

They foolishly agreed before talking to me and soon came to regret the decision as:

1. The Internet regularly went down for long periods.

2. One fix suggested by the ISP was too disable the fixed IP and change to dynamic. As they use CCTV and Remote Desktop this was not a great solution.

3. Their business was considerably disrupted due to the constant breakdown of the Internet.

4. They constantly contacted the ISP but the Internet continued to fail.

5. They claimed the same problems would be experienced with BT and yet since switching back to BT their Internet has been problem free.

They have received a summons today from the ISP saying the last two months invoices remained unpaid, emails go ignored and have now cancelled the service. I believe they think the application will be left unanswered so they could apply for the award and get the bailiffs in, so I would like to get a reply back as soon as possible.

They did warn the ISP that they would need to switch ISP unless it was resolved their reply was "you are under contract." They finally cracked and moved back to BT.

I have advised them to dispute the claim in full and defend on the above grounds.

If a business totally fails to provide a service, can be just walk away, on grounds of breach of contract/non-performance?

This is effectively what they were forced to do.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If a business totally fails to provide a service, can be just walk away, on grounds of breach of contract/non-performance?

This is effectively what they were forced to do.

If a supplier is in repudiatory breach of contract, the customer has a right to terminate the contract. The customer can terminate by notifying the supplier.

The customer would need to prove three things:

1) That the supplier had breached its obligations under the contract (you need to specify exactly what the breaches were in the defence).

2) That the supplier's breach was repudiatory (i.e. it was fundamental - I suppose not providing the agreed service for a long period of time is fundamental).

3) That the customer notified the supplier that it was terminating the contract.

Can the customer demonstrate these three points?

With regards to point 3, if a formal notice of termination was never given, the customer should do that now - and may have to accept that it will be liable for invoices prior to the date on which it actually terminated the contract.

Regardless, the most important thing is to to file an acknowledgement of service and make sure that a defence is filed within the appropriate timescales. These should be explained on the form. A default judgment will be issued if the timescales are missed. You can still try to negotiate a settlement after filing a defence.

If the supplier has breached the contract, the customer should include in their defence a counterclaim for any business losses suffered as a result of the downtime. If the supplier is facing a counterclaim the customer has more leverage to negotiate a settlement.

Also, have a look at the supplier's T&Cs to see if there is anything in there which has been breached. Pointing to a breach of a supplier's own T&Cs is always one of the most persuasive points to make in a legal dispute.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Thanks steampowered, as I understand it, he just walked away. Any notice would have been verbal - does that count, probably not?

I wish he had spoken to me first, but he just panicked and switched. When switching ISPs don't you have to get a code from the existing provider, which could be seen as notice? Or is this just mobiles?

I just received a fairly illegible shot of the particular of claim, and it appears they are talking about the two existing invoices, but the claim appears to be for £900, so must be full contract.

I need to get more info from him and will pist when I have it, so we can see the 3 areas you mention plus look at their T&C and check if they can be viewed as broken or unfair.

Verbal notice can count, the difficulty is proving it.

In the defence, he would need to clearly state in his defence the exact date on which he verbally terminated the contract because of the claimant's breach of contract. It is very important that this clearly goes in the paperwork. If the claimant denies this conversation the judge would have to decide on a 'balance of probabilities' who he thinks is telling the truth.

Unless the claimant is citing something in their T&Cs, I doubt the T&Cs are relevant. It will be more important to demonstrate the three points mentioned in my post - i.e. that the supplier was in breach of contract and the customer terminated the contract.

By far the most important thing is to get an acknowledgement of service and defence filed in time. Even if the documents he files are very short and basic. If your friend misses the deadlines he will lose the case by default.

Hmmm, he confirmed that he just threatened to move back to BT if they did not improve things. When things failed to improve he just left.

I am sure they would record all calls so he's between a rock and a hard place.

They have now terminated his service so would that act as cancellation or does he still need to formally contact them?

Ts and Cs

“Services” means any one or more of the Fixed Line Service, the Free-phone

Service, the Non-Geographical Number Service, the Broadband

Service and the Maintenance Service as specified in the Service

Agreement Order Form;

4. Supply of Services

4.1. The Company shall provide the Services with due skill and care to the standards of acompetent telecommunications provider in accordance with any telecommunication regulatory requirements subject to these Terms.

4.2. Subject always to clause 13 the Company shall use reasonable endeavors to provide the Services to the Customer by the date notified to the Customer for the commencement thereof but such dates are estimated and cannot be guaranteed by the Company.

4.3. While the Company will use reasonable endeavors to make available the Telephone Services and the Broadband Service 24 hours a day 365 days a year, the Company cannot guarantee and does not warrant that the Services will be free of interruptions or will be fault-free or that there will be no degradations of the quality of the Services from time to time due to reasons beyond the Company’s reasonable control.

The Company shall not be liable for any loss or damages should the Services be interrupted from time to time.

4.4. The Company shall not be liable for any faults or defects in the Equipment except to the extent that the Company is providing Maintenance Service.

4.5. The Company may change the technical specifications of the Services from time to time provided that such changes do not materially adversely affect the performance of the Services.

4.6. The Company shall be entitled to use BT or any other carrier or provider for the provision of the Telephone Services and the Broadband Service from time to time and shall be entitled to switch between such providers as the Company sees fit in its absolute discretion.

4.7. Help-desk support: The Company will provide free help-desk support in relation to Telephone Services and Broadband Service during Normal Business Hours up to a maximum of 15 minutes per day.

Unused help-desk support on any day may not be carried forward to another day.

Help-desk support is limited to telephonic support and remote support where operationally possible.

Help-desk support does not include any on site support.

While the Company will use reasonable endeavors to provide the help-desk support to a reasonably competent level, the Company does not guarantee any response times in relation to its help-desk support.

The Company reserves the right to charge for help-desk support in excess of the free 15 minutedaily allowance at its standard rates for help-desk support.

4.8. Enhanced Services; The Company, in its sole discretion, may provide certain supplemental services to enhance the performance or functionality of any Service (Enhanced Service).

If the Company does provide any Enhanced Service in relation to any Service, the Company shall be entitled to charge the Customer its standard rates, from time to time, for such Enhanced Service provided that the Customer shall be entitled to terminate the Enhanced Service at any time by written notice to the Company during the first 90 days period of such Enhanced Service having provided by the Company.

In the case of such termination the Company shall refund the Customer any charges it may have paid in relation to the Enhanced Service and the Company may terminate the provision of the Enhanced Service.

If the Customer has not terminated the provision of the Enhanced Service within the said 90 dayperiod, such Enhanced Service shall thereafter form part of the relevant Service for all purposes under this agreement.

5. Customer Obligations

5.1. The Customer shall accept, and pay for, the Services in accordance with these Terms.

5.2. The Customer warrants that its details set out in the Services Agreement Order Form are true and correct and the Customer undertakes to notify the Company in writing immediately following any change in such details.

5.3. The Customer warrants that (if applicable) the Customer's existing telecommunications equipment (if any) is in proper working order and complies with all applicable standards and approvals so as to enable the Company to supply and continue to supply the Services.

5.4. The Customer shall provide all reasonable assistance to the Company (including access to all locations at which the Equipment and, if applicable, the Company’s Equipment is situated or is to be situated) so as to enable the Company to supply and continue to supply the Services.

5.5. The Customer shall not sell or transfer or attempt to sell or transfer any telephone number provided to the Customer.

5.6. The Customer shall not use the Services for any improper or unlawful purpose, (including without limitation offensive, indecent, menacing, nuisance or hoax telephone calls) nor allow others to do so and the Customer shall indemnify without limit in respect of any and all claims made against the Company arising out of or related to such use.

6. Company Equipment

6.1. The Company shall be entitled to (but not obliged to) place such of the Company's Equipment in the Customer's premises (or in such other location as may be nominated by the Customer) as may be necessary in order to provide the Fixed Line Service. Additional charges may apply for the provision of the Company’s Equipment.

6.2. The Customer shall provide a suitable place and appropriate conditions for the Company's Equipment (including a continuous mains electricity supply and connection points at the Customers own expense where the Company's Equipment requires such services) at the Customer's premises or in such other location as may be reasonably nominated by the Customer so as to enable theCompany to supply and continue to supply the Fixed Line Service (without cost to the Company) and shall prepare such premises or location at its own expense in accordance with the Company's reasonable instructions.

7. Fixed Line Service

7.1. This clause 7 applies only to the Fixed Line Service.

7.2. In the event that the Customer's existing telecommunications equipment has least cost routing software, the Company may reprogram such existing telecommunications equipment in order to facilitate connection to the Company Network and the Customer will be responsible for any third party charges in this regard.

8. Non-Geographical Numbers Service and Free-Phone Service

8.1. This clause 8 applies only to the Free-phone Service, the Non-Geographical Number Service and Geo NTS.

8.2. The Customer acknowledges that ownership of Free-phone Number(s), Non- Geographical Number(s) or Geo NTS Number(s) allocated to it by the Company shall vest at all times in the Company and shall not pass to the Customer and the Customer shall have no right to use such Free-phone Number(s), Non- Geographical Number(s) or Geo NTS Number(s) upon termination of the Freephone Service, Non-Geographical Number Service or Geo NTS (as the case may be).

The Customer furthermore acknowledges that the Company cannot give any assurance or undertaking that any such numbers can be ported or transferred to the Customer or any third party upon termination of the aforementioned Services.

8.3. The Company reserves the right upon giving the Customer not less than one month’s written notice to alter (without incurring any liability) the Free-phone Number(s), Non-Geographical Number(s) or Geo NTS Number(s) allocated to the Customer by the Company;

8.4. The Customer shall promptly inform the Company in writing of any event which is likely to substantially affect the number of calls to the Free-phone Number(s) allocated to it by the Company so as to enable the Company to devote appropriate telecommunications capacity to such Free-phone Number(s).

Tried to add info to last post but exceeded the 10 mins limit by 30 seconds

Issue date is 21 aug and will get him to forward AoS this week., then he has 14 days to file a defence?

Would you suggest he defend whole claim or admit the part up it's "cancellation".

They cancelled it already after 2 unpaid invoices. should he still formally cancel?

The intemet really was unusable and they instructed him to suspend the fixed IP in order for the Internet to work - his IP has to be fixed, otherwise he would be forever losing connection to his CCTV and remote connection to his office PCs.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

as long as he's done AOS on MCOL he has a total of 33 days to defend from the date on the claimform

is this northants bulk or Salford court please?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

follow the upload

get a CPR 31:14 running to the solicitors

and they

looks like charges to end of contract to me

they cant do that

and looks like the 8% is very wrong too?!

mickey mouse company, mickey mouse POC!!

let andyorch comment too.

and they

£440.00 per month sounds rather expensive for Broadband...as they state they are only claiming 2 months within their particulars.

We really need the rest of the T&Cs with regards to breach and termination and any signed agreement if there is one.

Who is this company ??..time to name and shame.

Section 69 interest is correct on the amount of the claim.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

They are called Shine Internet in Worcestershire. Can't find anything bad on the Internet about them, they must be very new!!!

The £880 is about right until end of contract in August 2018, I wonder if they meant 2018 on the PoC and not 2017.

I will get the full first page of the summons.

:thumb: ooops thats fortunate if their particulars claimed are wrong...2 months is 2 months :wink:

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

so the defence will include?

. Subject to the above, should the alleged amount claimed include an early termination charge(s) amounting to the total balance of the remaining contract, OFCOM guidance clearly states that any Early Termination Charge, that is made up of the entire balance of the remaining contract, is unlikely to be fair, as it fails to take into account the fact that the provider no longer has to provide and pay for their service.

and they

Thanks Andy, I now have an email of the summons in front of me.

They are Shine Networks of Havants in Hanpshire. Internet gives Worcester as their location.

They are claim £890.12 plus £60 court fee. No rep fee claimed, so DIY.

Particulars of claim:

The defendant was supplied broadband and telephone services by us (claimant) under a 24 month contract due to end 25/08/18.

They paid for these services for month,

but the last 2 invoices have gone unpaid.

They have transferred broadband away and unplugged phones.

There has been no warning or contact.

We have tried contacting via telephone, email, mobiles and we get no reply.

As such debt management tasks took place and any services as things stand we stopped due to the length of time and debt.

They have the broken the contract and outstanding sums have been invoiced as per the contract and terms.

These are within these invoices,

We have still not been able to contact anybody via any method so are making this claim as per the debt, contract and terms.

The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from 19/07/17 to 18/08/17 on 882.58 and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgement or earlier payment at the daily rate of £7.54.

I have asked for copies of the last 2 invoices as one must be for the remainder of the contract.

Yes......." They have the broken the contract and outstanding sums have been invoiced as per the contract and terms."

The Ts and Cs are very large and I had a problem downloading it yesterday. Google Shine Internet Terms and Conditions and look out for v2 (10x the size of v1).

What's the defence dx?

Internet constantly down - hours on the phone to them.

They advised the users to delete the fixed IP in order to get the Internet working, they need a fixed IP for CCTV and remote access to office pcs

The users warned Shine they would go back to BT if things did not improve and were told BT were just as bad and they were under contract so could not leave.

Yes......." They have the broken the contract and outstanding sums have been invoiced as per the contract and terms."

Yes, I know that, but given their situation and the appalling service I would have done the same, but sent an email to say I was cancelling forthwith.

They believed by warning the claimant of their intention they were giving notice. I doubt if this holds any water but a slim chance is better than none. Do they STILL need to serve notice or has the clock now stopped?

Just spoken to the guys running the company and they have never seen an invoice from Shine either by post or email since starting with them 12 months ago! Gret accounting.

They did sign a Service Contract and I am sure it will bleet on about invoices only being available online, blah dee, blah dee, dee bloody blah!!

They believed by warning the claimant of their intention they were giving notice.

If the customer did not clearly notify the supplier that it is terminating the contract, the contract will remain in force.

Saying that "we are thinking about moving to BT" is nowhere near enough. Either the customer terminated the contract or it did not. There is no middle ground.

If a proper notice of termination was not given, the contract is still in force. And the customer will continue to be liable for all future invoices until such time as the contract has been terminated.

The T&Cs has an evergreen clause (clause 3) which says that it will continue renewing forever and ever for successive 12 month terms until a notice of termination has been given. Hence why the customer really needs to get a grip on creating a proper paper trail to prove that the service has been terminated.

If the customer feels that the supplier has breached the contract in a fundamental way, it now needs to send the supplier a clear notice of termination. The customer should send a separate notice of termination before filing a defence. This would allow the customer to say in the defence that it has terminated the contract due to the claimant's breach of contract.

No doubt the supplier will dispute that it has breached the contract. You can argue about that in court.

As the contract was not terminated, I think the customer has to accept that it will be liable for all invoices up to the date of termination. The only way to get around that would be to make a counterclaim against the supplier, so that the value of the counterclaim can be set-off against the outstanding invoices. To go down this road the defence will need to include a counterclaim. This will need to contain (1) a clear allegation that the supplier has breached the contract, and (2) a clear explanation of the estimated financial loss that has been suffered as a result. Read the T&Cs and see if you can identify any particular terms which the supplier has not complied with, especially terms to do with service provision.

I see that the supplier is claiming for all invoices to the end of the contract - not just the last 2 months. The defence should make it clear that (1) the future services have not been provided and so the customer is not liable to pay for them, and (2) there is no provision for any early termination fee in the T&Cs.

Thanks Steampowered for a clear explanation - I have no legal experience and am simply trying to help a friend who is a very hardworking businessman, but a complete pillock.

I wasn't really being serious about them believing they had given formal notice - just had a crap day. From what I understand it was a very heated conversation with the phone being slammed down in the end, rather than a precious little warning that he was thinking of leaving.

Anyway, I will get him to email them tomorrow in order to get this cancelled formally. Also, to ask how he can view these magic invoices that are only visible to them.

I would get him to compare last 3 months revenue using them against same three month last year, but with Brexit investment cutbacks they could claim it is a unfair comparison.

Can he make a counter claim for the time he wasted trying to sort this? Difficult to access and prove if any business was lost, but would receive many email tenders and it's a first come, first serve type of business with many blue chip clients, so one lost tender could mean tens of thousands.

Edited by maggie60