• Tweets

• I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
    • Migrants are caught in China's manufacturing battles with the West, as Beijing tries to save its economy.View the full article
    • You could send an SAR to DCbl on the pretext that you are going for a breach of your GDPR . They should then send the purported letter of discontinuance which may show why it ended up in Gloucester and see if you can get your  costs back on the day. It obviously won't be much but  at least perhaps a small recompense for your wasted day. Not exactly wasted since you had a great win  albeit much sweeter if you had beat them in Court. But a win is a win so well done. We will miss you as it has been almost two years since you first started out on this mission. { I would n't be surprised if the wrong Court was down to DCBL}. I see you said "till the next time" but I am guessing you will be avoiding private patrolled car parks for a while.🙂
    • It is extremely disappointing that you haven't told us anything about the result of the hearing. You came here at the very last minute and the regulars - all unpaid volunteers - sweated blood trying to get an acceptable Witness Statement prepared in an extremely short time. The least you could have done is tell us how the hearing went, information invaluable for future users. Evidently not.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Business Internet Company claimform - suing for cancelling contract***Struck Out***

maggie60
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2235 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

would get him to compare last 3 months revenue using them against same three month last year, but with Brexit investment cutbacks they could claim it is a unfair comparison.

Good idea. It is always going to be extremely difficult to quantify/prove a counterclaim like this, and it may not stand up in court if this gets that far. At this stage a very rough estimate is fine.

But I would still put a counterclaim in the defence and on the table as it creates negotiating leverage to encourage the supplier to agree a reasonable settlement. Putting a counterclaim forward doesn't cost anything.

Can he make a counter claim for the time he wasted trying to sort this? Difficult to access and prove if any business was lost, but would receive many email tenders and it's a first come, first serve type of business with many blue chip clients, so one lost tender could mean tens of thousands.

In theory, yes he can - you can't claim for time spent on its own, but you can claim for time wasted in a business context if that resulted in a loss of business. This kind of counterclaim is extremely difficult to prove and not often awarded for that reason.

I would phrase the counterclaim in the defence fairly generically together with anything else he is counterclaiming for, along the lines of "The Claimant breached the contract in that it [explain]. The Defendant suffered loss as a result, including [provide a short list]".

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But I would still put a counterclaim in the defence and on the table as it creates negotiating leverage to encourage the supplier to agree a reasonable settlement. Putting a counterclaim forward doesn't cost anything.

If the counterclaim is greater than the original claim isn't a fee for the difference in fees payable?

Bugger, 2017 revenue up 100%+ on 2016, despite Shine.

Sending:

To Shine Accounts

Subject: Cancellation of Contract

Dear Sirs,

Can you please take this as confirmation of our wish to cancel our contract (quote the contract number) with you with Immediate effect as you have been unable to provide the service promised to an acceptable level.

We are concerned that in over 12 months we have not received a single invoice from you either by post or email and we would ask you to email all invoices without further delay. Indeed the only communication we have received is an email chasing an invoice we have not seen.

We are currently calculating our claim against you.

Yours sincerely,

Edited by maggie60

You have to pay a fee for a counterclaim irrespective of its value

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

The customer here needs to put a timeline together of when and what problems were notified to Shine, and on each occasion what they did (or tried to do) to fix them. If they have copy emails that they have sent, all the better.

The reason is clause 14.5.1 which allows the customer to terminate when the ISP has materially breached the contract and they have not rectified the breach within 60 days of first being notified (or if the IPS fails to provide a service for 60 or more consecutive days)

Also with regards to the counter-claim note the exclusion clauses at 13.4...

Thanks SV and apologies for delay in getting back.

Clause 14.5.1 - is 60 days reasonable? I would have cancelled it myself if not sorted within 72 hours.

Clause 13.4 - counterclaiming for time spent, not included in the 6 points, or am I misreading it?

There are two possibilities for terminating this contract before expiry of the minimum term:

1) The express contractual term in clause 14.5.1, which allows termination if the customer notifies Shine of a breach in writing which is not remedied within 60 days.

2) The common law right to terminate a contract for fundamental/repudiatory breach - this applies in addition to what is stated in the T&Cs.

In order to rely on (1), the customer would have to prove that the supplier was notified in writing of its breach of contract and failed to remedy it within 60 days. I could be wrong but it sounds like the customer cannot prove this.

In that case the customer can only rely on (2). The difficulty would be proving that the supplier was in fundamental/repudiatory breach of contract. But at least worthwhile putting this in the Defence for now, as a robust defence will increase the chance of a reasonable settlement.

Thanks Steampowered. I am sure the current (v2.0) Terms we see online are a heavily updated version of the original single page, simple agreement they signed up to. Let me check with them.

In the meantime with an Issue Date of 21st August, I would like them to get an AoS filed by tomorrow. What do they need to say in the acknowledgement. Someone mentioned a fee payable to make a counterclaim, but like you I thought it was free unless it was higher than the original claim. I haven't been able to find anything online to say if a fee is payable. Anyway, I understand they need to dispute they claim in full, (and make a counterclaim), how do they move it to their local court and what other boxes do they need to tick in the AoS.

Thanks,

Maggie

Yes they need to get on with filing the AOS to risk a default judgment.

They don't need to say anything in the acknowledgement. Just tick the appropriate box indicating an intention to defend all of the claim.

Yes a fee is payable for a counterclaim when you file the Defence.

Allocation to a particular court comes later.

Tick box 1 which says "I intend to defend all of this claim". Don't tick box 2 or 3.

There shouldn't be anything else on the AoS aside from filling in the defendant's address and claim number etc.?

Friday the 8th before 4.00pm

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Thanks will get him to do tomorrow and check it is confirmed received.

Does the defence submission clock start ticking for 14 days from when the AoS was sent or the last due date? If the latter, I will get him to do it now.

Defence should be submitted Friday 22nd September before 4.00pm

• 2 weeks later...

as of close of business today they have still not received one invoice and we need to get the defence/counterclaim off for Thursday.

I believe that the Terms and Conditions showing online for Shine Networks Ltd are now vastly amended from what they originally signed up to, but as all links lead to the new Ts and Cs it is impossible to prove.

Is a counterclaim for £250 for time wasted on resolving Internet issues a feasible counterclaim and what would be the cost?

Any ideas for a reasonable defence based on the poor quality on the Internet service?

I know they went about things the wrong way, in just walking away, but according to Shines Ts and Cs they give themselves so long to resolve any issues, a normal business relying on Internet/emails would have gone bust long beforehand.

Up to £300 £35 paper format £25 online...you will have to quantify and evidence the amount claimed ...may be difficult to prove " time wasted "

I dont like to challenge Andyroch but are you SURE the S69 Interest is correct.

It says the daily rate is £7.54 per day

So 7.54 X 365 is £2752.10 Per Year Interest.

£2752.10 divided by 8 then multipled by 100 is £34,401.25

So, IMO, for the daily rate to be £7.64 per day, the claim would need to be £34,401.25

Whatever I post is my opinion and should be taken as such, an opinion. While it is what I believe and is offered in good faith, it should not be taken as a statement of truth

Let me just check Isiris

Interest is £70.56 over 12 months

40 days claimed

should be 0.19 per day ?

£7.60 ? I think they have stated the total interest instead of the daily rate.

1. Work out the yearly interest: take the amount you’re claiming and multiply it by 0.08

(i.e. 8% - this will equal 8% of the amount claimed).

2. Work out the daily interest: divide the yearly interest from step 1 by 365 (the number

of days in a year).

3. Work out the total amount of interest: multiply the daily interest from step 2 by the

number of days the debt has been overdue.

Well spotted Isiris

Thank you both.

As Andy says a counterclaim based purely on wasted time is going to be pointless and impossible to prove.

My instinct would be to dispute the claim in full or would the defendants be better to admit the claim up to the point they emailed cancellation. No legal rep fee so just the cost of the summons (and a valid rate of interest) so far? Is it too late to do that?

My suggestions to them for defence would be:

1. The constant, unworkable downtime of the Internet service provided and their attitude towards the problems.

2. The fact they said they would have the same problem with BT. Since returning to BT, no downtime at all.

3. The unreasonable time they allow themselves to correct connection problems.

4. The fact that up to now not one invoice has been received from the plaintiff.

5. Use Isiris' figures to demonstrate the ridiculous interest rate they are claiming.

I have a copy of service agreement they signed up to and will ask they for a schedule of payment made to Shine so I can check this.

Is 8% the accepted interest rate?

Edited by maggie60
correct grammar

The service agreement was signed on 10/10/16 and states:

Broadband:

1. One off payments: Router charge £39.99, connection charge £0, line installation £105.00

2. 24 x monthly rental charges of £28.50.

Notes:

Shine Hosted Services (to be collected by direct debit) - 3 x Shine hosted seats licences (users), unlimited local and national calls, 1000 mobile minutes £24.80. Although commonsense would tell us this was a monthly charge - nowhere does it state that and they were sold the full service as costing them £28.50 per month.

Notes:

Additional one-off/setup charge

3 x SIP Cordless Handsets £162.72

The following amounts were taken by Shine by direct debit:

November 16 £472.81.

December 16 £82.02

Jan 17 £80.69

Feb 17 £81.19

March 17 £80.69

April 17 £80.69

May17 £81.71

June17 £80.69.

As they have not sent any invoices, it is impossible to reconcile these charges:

If we say the initial one-off charges of £307.71 and adjust two months x £24.80+£28.50, then add VAT, we get close to the £472.81, but this doesn't explain the monthly charge of £80.69 to £81.71. £53.30 plus VAT does equal that.

Furthermore, in July, one month after a normal payment they tried to take over £800 and £600 the following month. Both attempts failed as the direct debit was cancelled.

You cant submit evidence with a defence through MCOL...that is normally done at the next stage should they wish to proceed through your witness statement.

An initial defence should just admit or deny or accept...not introduce.

Regards

Andy