Unknown Car Tax fine - but i sornd it!! - Marstons 14 day letter - help! ***Resolved***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2302 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all

Wondering what advice you would give for this particular scenario

Have received a letter in the post this morning from a company by the name of Marston, It says I have not paid a fine of £660

It says a court order has been made that gives enforcement agents the power to visit me,

my address has been identified and traced,

as I have not responded to letters delivered to this or a previous address

an enforcement officer will be asked to visit within 14 days

unless you make payment or discuss your specific circumstances..

I know nothing of this fine or what its for,

How do I proceed?

Any help appreciated folks

Phone Marstons to obtain more information and come back for advice.

If it is a Magistrates court fine, if you never received the summons, you might be able to resolve with the court.

If it is vehicle related, make sure registration docs and licence have your up to date address.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Does the letter have any reference such as HMCTS London, Sussex etc? Although not that helpful, it may be useful to know the area where a court had made a Collection Order in your absence.

I see many fines of a similar amount that relate to an unpaid fine for using a TV without a valid licence. Do you remember in the past receiving a visit from a TV Licence Enquiry Agent?

I tend to find that advising a client to visit the following website proves most useful. This link is to enable a person to view their driving licence online. Many times, his will reveal that a fine had been issued for speeding etc. Court details will be provided.

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

If this fails, then you will need to pick up the phone and speak with Marston's. If it is the case that you had been unaware of the fine, then there is the possibility of approaching the Magistrates Court for an appointment to be made for a Section 14 Statutory Declaration.

Please post back once you have taken the steps above.

Edited by dx100uk
unnecessary previous post quote removed

I would personally call the court first, the letter should have the court case reference number on it, find out what the fine is all about.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Ring sussex court and ask what its about and where the claimform was sent to

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Many thanks for the info

I agree with this.

If you have changed address or the court state a wrong address, you should ask that they place enforcement on hold to allow you time to submit a s14 SD.

The officer will visit you AFTER 14 days, NOT WITHIN 14 days.

It is vital for you to get the wheels in motion before this deadline, even sooner if possible.

If the court agree to place enforcement on hold, you should contact Marston via email and inform them of the position.

Thankyou for that info I have work this afternoon but am off tomorrow so will make all enquires then

Been trying to ring this number without success, just get "line busy please ring back later"

Been trying since yesterday?

Don't want to ring Marstons until I have spoken to the courts!

HMCTS Sussex is merely the administration area. It may (or may not) help to call the following number:

01622 680070

Failing which, you need to pick up the phone to Marston's.

The telephone number is the correct one (I have called it myself yesterday in relation to a enquiry but it did ring a fairly long time).

I am a little concerned that given the bank holiday, you may well be running out of time to enter into a payment arrangement with the enforcement company. There is also an email address for fine enquiries for HMCTS Sussex that you could use but personally, it would be far simpler for you to call Marston's.

Fine queries: [email protected]

Craig, you have an unknown fine from HMCTS Sussex sent to your previous address.

Have you considered making a statutory declaration?

It would save you a lot of bother picking up the phone to Marston and emailing the court.

Craig, instead of asking what a Statutory Declaration is, you should be contacting Marston Holdings to find out what this court fine is for? Alternatively, you have been given both the telephone number and email address for the administration centre (HMCTS Sussex) that can assist you. Have you made any progress with contacting them?

By law, when sending a letter, an enforcement company should give the individual a period of 7 clear days to either contact the company to make a payment arrangement or alternatively, to pay the debt in full. You first posted here on 22nd August. You did not tell us the date provided on the letter? I am concerned that with it now being 30th August, a personal visit will be made (and the debt increasing by way of an 'enforcement fee' of £235).

PS: There is a ton of information on the internet about Court Fines and Statutory Declarations. However, before being able to contact the Magistrates Court for an appointment (for a Statutory Declaration to be considered) you will first need to establish what the court fine is for).

Spoke to Marstons on the phone and it has been suspended until 13/9/2017 whilst investigations are ongoing..

Couldn't reach the 01622 number just went round in circles to be cut off each call

Apparently its for my vehicle which was not taxed or insured in March of this year, I SORN'ed the vehicle in February and have the email to prove and have sent this on to Customercare marstongroup an email address provided to me by the Marston representative

They are going to investigate further

You have been fined by DVLA for failure to SORN, even though you had done so and have proof, you will need to swear a Statutory Declaration to state that the vehicle was correctly on SORN take a print out of the email.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys

Received an email today from Marstons, I was told they would investigate whilst this was on hold and now I get this!

Thank you for contacting us.

Our role is to enforce warrants that have been issued. The issuing of a warrant is a matter between you and our client, and so we cannot comment on this.

We are therefore unable to put this matter on hold, unless we are told to do so by the magistrates’ court or local authority.

As the warrant remains in place, please make full payment to prevent an enforcement agent attending your premises. You have a number of ways to pay, which are explained in our information on how to pay section.

Please be aware that if an enforcement agent needs to attend your premises, you will incur further costs, and your goods may be at risk.

Yours sincerely

Clair Dawson

Customer Correspondence Team

Marston Group

Sounds like incompetence on there part advising me wrongly

What now?

Ok guys

Received an email today from Marstons, I was told they would investigate whilst this was on hold and now I get this!

Sounds like incompetence on there part advising me wrongly

What now?

It is not incompetence at all. The enforcement company cannot 'go behind' a warrant.

What you should have been doing was to contact the Magistrate Court and make arrangements for a Statutory Declaration. I advised you of the need to contact HMCTS Sussex and so did others (Brassnecked for example) and even provided you with their contact details !!!

I notice today that you have confirmed that your V5C (Log Book) has not been updated to record your current address. This would likely explain WHY you had not received notification about this fine beforehand. I will repeat one more time.......you need to be approaching the court for a Statutory Declaration.

Please don't delay any longer.

I tried that number for the sussex courts and just went around in circles!

In the end I contacted Marstons and they put it on hold whilst they said they would investigate, I have done nothing wrong.

I have just rang the number again for the Sussex courts and again all I get after pressing 0 is "Sorry all our operators are busy please redial later" and then the call gets terminated

This is exactly what happened the first time round after trying to contact them over a 2 day period

If you look back on my posts from 26th August, I even provided you with the following email address for HMCTS Sussex. Did you email them?

Fine queries:

[email protected]

PS: The webpage is here as well:

https://courttribunalfinder.service.gov.uk/courts/kent-surrey-and-sussex-enforcement-business-centre