• Tweets

• Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
    • At a key lecture in the City of London, the shadow chancellor will also vow to reform the Treasury.View the full article
    • Despite controversy China's Temu is becoming a global online shopping force.View the full article
    • The retailer has come under fire for an advert showing motorcyclists wearing trainers and doing wheelies.View the full article
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

First Trust Bank sold my 2005 debts to Asset Link Capital

pete263
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2401 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, In 2005 I developed long term illness and had to give up working.

To cut a long story short I owed my bank (First Trust) approx £300 (I cant remember the exact figure) for a couple of direct debits that came out of my current account at the time.

I also had a credit card (again with First Trust) and the balance on that was approx £600.

I contacted the local Citizens Advice, got a payment plan set up with a token payment of £1 per month for the current account and credit card. ( I have paid every month ever since)

At the time the Bank agreed to charge no interest on either the credit card or current account, although sadly I do not have this in writing anywere.

The bank has now sold the debt onto Asset Link Capital and I have had a letter from them asking me to setup a payment plan with them but the £300 current account debt has now grown into a £1100+ debt!

Its obvious the bank has been charging interest on this account all along.

Interestingly, the credit card debt has not had any interest added to it.

Im at a total loss as to what to do about it and would be very grateful for any help.

I do not mind paying off genuine debt that Im responsible for but to charge that amount of interest is criminal.

PS. After reading through some other cases is it feasible for me to request a CCA for the Credit card debt and I dont think a CCA would help with a current account?

Thanks in advance.

Ignore debt collection communications.

Send a Data Protection Subject Access Request to First Trust for copies of all records on the current account and credit card.

In the request letter, ask for copies of all file notes, all statements of accounts and in particular any records regarding to an agreement made in 05/06 for no interest or charges to be added. If you click on subject access request there is a link to the standard template letter.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for the reply,

I have a Subject access request from October 2014 from them ( a friend at the time was advising me on financial matters) and I can find nothing in the notes regarding interest or charges being frozen. To be honest I cant make much sense of them as its a printout of 150 so pages titled CACS report, I did find the name of the person from the CAB who dealt with this back then but after ringing them she no longer works for the CAB.

Should I request another SAR? Sorry if I seem a bit confused but my illness makes it very difficult to process information at times.

If worst comes to the worst what is my best course of action for resolving this, CCA the credit card and token payment for the current account?

Thanks again.

Ok, no point sending another.

You could write to the Bank asking them for confirmation that back in 2005/06 following intervention from Citizens advice that interest/charges were removed and no longer to be added to the account.

Don't mention the debt being sold and the issue.

Get the Bank to confirm what they agreed at the time.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

so you received a letter of assignment.

Did the bank continue to send out annual statements before selling the debt on?

Does the new demand have a breakdown of how the debt is formed?

With a SAR it is supposed to be intelligible so what you received didnt meet the requirements on a SAR as they are supposed to send explanatoty text with their reams of figures.

That is a stick to beat them with but they wont be sending you it now but you have good grounds for a complaint when you ask again and get the same type of data.

That should get them a ticking off and hopefully a refund of your tenner (I know but even a small victory is still a victory).

you can ask Link for a breakdown of the amount and they will have to chase it up with First Trust or they wont be going anywhere enforcing the debt.

So, ask link for a breakdown first and then SAR to First Trust if they cant provide anything meaningful

I bet some of the original charges were unlawful so you will be able to reclaim these from Link.

They wont have paid that much for the debt so if they have to pay you say £100 that is probably more than the debt cost them and they have no way of wriggling out of it, the liabilites go with the benefits to them.

If you are lucky you get back the charges plus interest so the end result is that they will owe you more then the origianl amount, your debt is cleared and you get some cash. Wouldnt that be a result.

For the moment you pay the £1 a month if the assignment is real as per the original agreement. they will ahve to go to court to vary that and they might not have the correct paperwork to back up their decision.

Thanks so much for your answer, its a weight off my mind.

Found the exact figures for the debt and the current account was £417, the credit card £661 so on the current account there has been nearly £800 interest.

The SAR is pretty unitelligible as you mentioned, no explanatory texts or anything, just a bunch of codes and figures really.

By the way, I had PPI and insurance on the credit card so I dont know why it was never settled through the insurance.

The bank never sent me annual statements and the new demand from Link only has a total figure, no breakdown at all.

I'll follow your advice now and firstly ask link for a breakdown and SAR the bank,

should I offer to pay Link the £1 per month immediatly or wait until they give me a breakdown? Also, when I get the SAR back how do I know what charges are unlawful?

Thanks for your patience and for the advice :-)

cash cowed blind

quite honestly id just stop paying both of them

link never own enforceable debts anyway.

a DCA is NOT A BAILIFF

and has

NO SUCH LEGAL POWERS.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

also 1st trust were an irish bank

are you still in Ireland?

why are you blindly paying a English DCA for an irish debt???

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

doorstep hassle?

they are NOT BALLIFFS!!

where this come from...

not been talking to these muppets have you

and they

Thats true dx and I'll keep that in mind :wink: Going to try it re: ericsbrother and see how I get on..

... I'll keep you's posted and let you know how it plays out.

Just finished the letter asking for the breakdown so that'll get the ball rolling.

Cheers for the advice everyone, it IS appreciated.

By the way, I also have a copy of the agreement for the credit card and PPI is included in it, is it worth my while contacting the original creditor about this or should it be LINK?

I didnt have the card for very long so cant imagine Id be owed very much.

always the OC

and they