dual carriageway not a dual carrigeway?? speeding fine help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2324 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

"dual carriageway with a physical barrier is 70MPH"

Not even remotely close...

It's very close ; but only when there is the white circular sign with black diagonal stripe (for "National Speed limit applies") sign at the start of the 70 mph limit, with 'repeaters' along the dual carriageway.......

Other than that, yup, not remotely close, if it

a) isn't a motorway, and

b) has street lighting.......

"They don;t have to, and if it is felt "education not appropriate", then one could be given a FPN for 35 mph+.

Above 42 mph a summons should be expected, and for 50mph and above is almost inevitable."

Not quite correct.

For offences in a 30mph limit enforcement is not normally taken below 35mph.

A Speed Awareness Course is normally offered for speeds between 35mph and 42mph (i.e. Limit +10% + 9mph. This applies to all limits).

The only time this would not be the outcome is if the driver had taken part in a course in the previous three years (the dates of the offences being used to determine this).

Up tp 50mph a Fixed Penalty Offer will be made. This is £100 and 3 penalty points.

The only time this would not be offered is where the driver already has nine or more points (and is thus liable to a ban under the "totting up" rules).

You should not expect a summons (as an aside even if court action was necessary you would almost certainly receive a "Single Justice Procedure Notice" rather than a summons).

Instead you will receive an offer of a fixed penalty.

You need not worry about the sentencing levels for matters that go to court because, provided you comply with the conditions of the Fixed Penalty Offer (that is, send in your payment and your driving licence) you won't be paying them a visit.

It's very close ; but only when there is the white circular sign with black diagonal stripe (for "National Speed limit applies") sign at the start of the 70 mph limit, with 'repeaters' along the dual carriageway.......

Other than that, yup, not remotely close, if it

a) isn't a motorway, and

b) has street lighting.......

Define '"dual carriageway"

Generally a road with a central reservation separating the two carriageways. But I thought we'd established that the road in question here had a 30mph limit. Being a dual carriageway (or not) has no relevance to that.

Indeed we have. However there appear to be confusions as to what constitutes a dual carriageway and what the speed limit would be upon it.....

I congratulate you on being the closest so far.

is it not [for what I tried to eluded too]....

must be [atleast] dual laned both sides with a physical barrier [not just a flat reserve] to be 70MPH?

just that the ole sheriffs up here [yes Scotland] fine people for doing 70MPH on single laned barriered dual carriageways

they state that the only roads in Scotland bar a motorway where 70MPH is legal is such a road as above [dual laned/barriered]

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I congratulate you on being the closest so far.
Thanks for the congratulations. I don’t know how much closer I need to get to win the cigar. :-o

The "Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016” defines a dual carriageway thus:

“a road which comprises a central reservation”

It defines a central reservation as:

(a) any land between the carriageways of a road comprising two carriageways; or (b) any permanent work (other than a traffic island) in the carriageway of a road, which separates the carriageway or, as the case may be, the part of the carriageway, which is to be used by traffic moving in one direction from the carriageway or part of the carriageway which is to be used (whether at all times or at particular times only) by traffic moving in the other direction

So it can be seen that no physical barrier is required.

I understand that there is confusion about the speed limit prevailing on a dual carriageway.

Some people seem to believe that being a dual carriageway automatically bestows different limits on a road simply by virtue of that fact.

As far as I can fathom,

the only time that being a dual carriageway by itself makes any difference to a speed limit is where the National Speed Limit (NSL) is in force.

The NSL (for cars) on a dual carriageway is 70mph whereas it is only 60mph on a single carriageway.

There are corresponding lower limits of 60/50mph for other classes of vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

gosh.

i have 0 points on licence and not attended a speed awareness course before.

I have just returned the form which was re-raised in my name instead of the car owner's name (sent within the 28 days period)

I'm still not sure from the above various answers if I am potentially going to be issued a summons to attend court?

If you look at my answers on 19th August at 16:41 and on 16th September at 18:52

you will see quite clearly that you should receive a Fixed Penalty offer for the offence.

It is too fast for a speed awareness course.

The "tolerance" you keep mentioning is not a tolerance at all.

42mph is the fastest speed for which a course would normally be offered.

(There have been instances of them being offered for slightly higher speeds but I don't expect it).

As well as that, you can only do one course in three years.

It is not a tolerance, it is just an alternative way for the offence to be dealt with.

When you get your offer, send off the £100 and do not forget to enclose your licence.

That will be the end of the matter apart from the fact that you will have three points on your licence.

They remain "active" for three years and if you accumulate 12 points in that time (with the dates of the offences being relevant for the calculation) then you face a six month ban.

Also check the conditions of your insurance policy.

Some insurers require you to notify them as soon as you get any points against you whilst others only insist on you doing so at renewal.

• 1 month later...