Missed fracture of the elbow.

Spudzulu
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2416 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good evening.

Two weeks ago I banged my elbow, the morning after I had reduced movement and a lot swelling. I presented at the local ED and was seen by an ENP who after an xray said it was not broken, to his surprise due to the amount of swelling, so I was to mobilize it as much as possible.

Yesterday morning I awoke to an elbow for times the size it would be so I went to the GP who sent me to hospital to be told "oops, we have had a consultant look at it and we missed it" I've now got a collar and cuff and have to rest it for three weeks. Its so painful that I am now on Oramorph and not sleeping. I was told this in front of other patients waiting to be seen which made me very embarrassed.

What should I do, should I seek the advice of a solicitor, I am concerned about loss of function and how I was treated.

Thank you in advance

It's a broken elbow, as painful as it is, you won't die, and it most certainly doesn't need a solicitor? They can't fix a busted elbow??

Not sure what an ENP is either?

Do you not have use of a 'walk in' centre near you instead of tying up A&E?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

So what do I do when I can straighten my arm due to mobilising my arm for two weeks instead of resting it? Walk in center does not have access to x-rays so advised me to go to hospital...only tied up one service not two.

So what do I do when I can straighten my arm due to mobilising my arm for two weeks instead of resting it? Walk in center does not have access to x-rays so advised me to go to hospital...only tied up one service not two.

I guess it does depend on the postcode lottery as to who has X-rays at walk ins and who doesn't.

The body's a wonderful thing, mobilising it or not for two weeks, won't make you lose the use of it forever.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

That you for your input but unfortunately not keeping it still has now resulted in a displacement of the bone which means I need a operation.

I should have used the title "how do I raise a complaint?"

I should have used the title "how do I raise a complaint?"

Ah well, in that case your first port of call should be with the manager of the department the Dr works in, or ENP??

It may be worth discussing with your GP whether the failure to immobilise and accurately diagnose the fracture is the reason why you now need an operation?

Ask to be referred to an orthopaedic surgeon.

Ask the orthopod what should have happened, and the consequences of that not happening (would you have needed an operation anyway? Will you suffer any long term consequences as a result).

What do you want to achieve as an outcome?.

Thank you Bazza, all I want is to find out what has happened and to ensure it is less likely to happen to the next person. I thought I needed a solicitor to complain but that's more for compensation and that's not what I'm looking for.

2 things- are you sure they said mobilize it as much as possible and not immobilise it as much as poss (the more likely).

secondly,-how far you take this depends on what you want as an end result. Unfortunately the first thing on some people's minds is compensation from someone evenf if it was their fault that they tripped over in their high heels when reeling drunk. This makes the hospitals react in an unreasonably guarded manner and makes it nigh on impossible to get an apology so people sue because they havent had the satisfaction of an apology and use the compensation as proof they had a gievance in the first place.

Ask for your GP to send you for an opinion from somewhere else (another local hospital for example) so whoever has to write a report isnt going to think about what he has to say to that nurse or doctor when they pass in the corridor. In the meanwhile start your complaint via PALS as this will not be a speedy matter and you will invariably have to go through the next couple of stages of the complaints procedure and by then you will have all of the relevant information and likely outcomes of your injury

Edited by honeybee13
Paras