HSamuel almost ruined my wedding

Dayor
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2387 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

was due to marry my long term partner on 15th of July 2017.

went to a H Samuel shop to purchase a commitment ring for the wedding on 18th of June 2017.

wanted to pick something that is not very expensive, pay for it and take it away the same day if possible.

then the lady that attended to us told us we could get some personalised set with our initials and the date of the wedding engraved in it.

agreed on a set that costs £1,399.00.

I specifically asked the customer service lady about the date of delivery as I wanted to be sure the ring will arrive before the wedding.

She checked on the system and told me not to worry, that it would arrive and that they are aware of the date since it would even be engraved in the ring.

I was required to make a 10% down payment so I paid £140.00 with my debit card.

The expected delivery date on the receipt was 11th of July 2017 (4 days before our wedding).

I work with agencies and work normally from 8 am to 6 pm (paid hourly) Monday to Friday and by my finish time and travelled to the H Samuel outlet where I made the purchase, they would have closed for the day (they finish at 6 pm).

on Thursday 13th of July, I left work early to pick up the rings.

On getting to the shop, I was asked by the attendant (a different person from the one I made the order with) if I had received any text for the collection.

replied that I hadn't.

She checked their system,

spoke another customer service person in the shop

and then came back to tell me that the rings are yet to arrive

and that they were going to give me a call to update me.

Since I had already left work for the day and it would not be feasible to go back to work and return to pick the ring on the same day before the shop shuts,

I decided to hang around hoping they would call me soon enough.

But then I received no call that Thursday.

On Friday 14th of July (the day before my wedding), just before midday, I got a call from H Samuel telling me that my ring would not arrive until the next Friday (21st of July).

I requested for my refund so that I could try and use the money to purchase something else elsewhere

was told that my refund cannot be processed until they receive the ring at the outlet the next Friday.

I called my then partner to inform her and she took it so badly, she was in tears.

I had to finish work early again, so that we can go about to look for a ring, any ring, to use the next day.

Eventually we found a ring for my partner at a Warren James outlet

could not get any one anywhere that fits me (my ring size is Z-5).

We search everywhere till night but could not get anything.

My partner was shattered.

I continued the search on the morning of my wedding day.

Eventually a friend that was searching in his own local area was able to get a fashion ring that would just about sit on the knuckle of my ring finger.

We had to get married like that, after which I had to give the ring back leaving me with no wedding ring.

I called H Samuel's customer services and complaint department and spoke with a lady called Joslyn on 18th of July 2017 to make a complaint.

She promised to get back to me, which she did on 20th of July.

She offered my a refund along with a £50 voucher which I flatly refused.

She called back less than 30 mins after and offered £100 in cheque for the grief they caused me.

I told her my lost wages alone for the 2 days I had to finish early amounts to £260.

That I cannot accept the offer.

I called the citizens advise bureau and was advised I can make a claim against them but it would be expensive for me getting a lawyer.

Up till now my refund is yet to be processed.

Can anyone advise on what to do or how to go about it please.

Starting point is to write to H Samuel head office, with full details of the losses you incurred due to a breach of contract. You should provide them with a full breakdown of the loss suffered. This should be evidence you could supply a court if it went as far as a hearing in front of a judge. In the letter advise that you want to avoid more time being taken up with a county court claim process, but if they don't cover the loss you suffered, then you will be forced to proceed issuing a court claim.

See how they respond. A court claim is not something to enter into as a matter of principle, because if it is defended it will take up more of your time and you might wish you had not started one.

• Confused 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks ericsbrother. I had previously tried making enquiries about getting a lawyer but the cost implication seems to be very high. I will write them a letter in the next couple of days to start with and if I do not get a reasonable response, I will follow on with a claim at the small claims court. Thanks.

Not relevant to your query, but if you purchase new jewellery in the future, don't go near the high street. There are many wholesale jewellers that are open to the public, who don't add on the very high mark ups to fund high street premises. Also it is worth considering second hand jewellery, getting it professionally cleaned and any adjustments/engravings made.

People seem to think that high street jewellers have their own manufacturers, but they buy their stock from the same places. The rest is just sales gloss which you a high price for.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Just want to give everyone a quick update.

I wrote a letter to H Samuel as advised and stated all the facts,

attached documents to support my loss of earnings and requested a response from them telling them that I would like to get a reasonable resolution but would not hesitate to approach a small claim court if need be.

I got a call last week from their customer support agent offering £250 as compensation.

Considering that actual amount I lost in earning over the 2 days was £312

and that my deposit of £140 had not been refunded

(not minding the panic and anguish caused myself and my wife),

I refused the offer and requested they respond to me in writing.

I received a letter from them yesterday,

still with the same offer

and I am now looking into how I can determine the value of the case

and then approach a small claims court.

I will continue to update the thread as things develops.

Thanks guys.

You would need to evidence why you had to not work the hours to deal with H Samuel. The issues might have caused you anxiety and therefore you felt it was necessary to take more time off, but you need to think about what actual time off work was needed.

If you claim too much that seems unreasonable, you will get knocked back. As part of the court claim process both sides can take part in mediation by phone with a mediation company. Make sure you have direct evidence of costs you incurred as a result of the breach of contract.

Thanks unclebulgaria67.

I did not take time off work due to anxiety.

I had to leave work early for 2 consecutive days to deal with issues from H Samuel.

The first was the day I went to pick up the rings and it was not available for pick up.

I was told to by their customer service person that they were going to give me a call that afternoon to tell me the status of my order.

Due to the distance I had to travel, I could not return to work afterwards and so waited around their outlet for the call.

But the call never came.

The second was the next day (day before my wedding) when they called at about 11 am to tell me the ring would not be arriving.

I had to leave work and go about town in search for a ring to use for my wedding the next day.

The hours I was away from my normal working hours, and which were not paid, were the ones I considered as my loss of earning.

When I spoke with someone from H Samuel last week, they were arguing that they should not be responsible for the hours I lost on the day that I went to collect the ring as I had already made plans to leave work early for the collection that day.

I told them that the hours were a loss as my time was wasted due to them not honouring the delivery date on their contract (receipt).

I have direct evidence of the loss of income which I forwarded to H Samuel along with the letter I wrote them.

The evidences includes my contract of employment

- which states my daily working hours and my hourly rate;

a print out of the company's biometric (finger printing) signing in and out record for the week

and my wages remittance advice

(shows weekly rather than daily income, but from it you can deduce the shortfalls for those 2 days in relation to the total hours on the finger printing record).