Learner drivers to be allowed on Britain’s motorways within months

citizenB
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2410 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Novice drivers are going to be let loose on Britain’s motorways, the Transport Secretary has announced.

Learners will be able to take lessons on roads such as the M25 – providing they are with an approved instructor in a dual control car.

It is hoped the changes, to be launched next year, will provide a broader range of real life experiences and better prepare learners for independent driving when they pass their test.

For the full story : - https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/learner-drivers-to-be-allowed-on-britain-s-motorways-within-months-a3610466.html

Interesting, are they being taught to drive on a motorway.. or Park !!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Many years ago my first experience of driving on a distant Motorway was a buttock-clencher until I realised it did not vary much from permitted observed d/c driving.

Perhaps all dual-control vehicles should incorporate both front & rear dash com views to protect the innocent,

Great more carnage on the Motorways, wait and see!

So which do you think is the greater risk on the motorway (and which the safer learning opportunity?)

1) Person A, 1 day before the driving test their instructor thinks they are competent to pass (& which they do pass), in a dual controlled driving school car with their instructor.

2) Person A, who instead has never had a 'motorway lesson', 1 day after passing their driving test, in a car on their own....

How do you think new drivers should learn to drive safely on a motorway?

I've never understood this fear of motorway.

It's just another road but with less hazards, no traffic lights, no roundabouts, no pedestrians, no cyclists (most times) and the only thing to pay attention to is speed limit and being in the correct lane, same as an A road but easier.

Would someone explain why there's this public fear of motorways???

I had no fear of motorways when I passed my test many many years ago.

But people (some) have no lane discipline and think its ok to tootle along at 55mph in the middle lane.

I think their should be at the least a requirement to take at least 3 lessons with a qualified driving instructor on a motorway before being allowed on your own or at most be a part of the test itself. The latter does throw up other problems tho.

Maybe the licence issued after normal testcan say in big red letters " no motorway driving" until you get a certificate from driving instructor you've completed a course and you send your licence back.

most driving schools do an extra after exam pass to motorway driving in the past? my OH was going to take one, we went out one day and went along many roads and I included a motorway run, she only realised that she did not need a driving extra course as I had got her to follow my route instructions and she saved £40 into the bargain, but assisted is the main theme here until they have done it a few times. Low and behold some people say no different to normal road driving? well I use to be a motorway recovery/breakdown patrol and would refute that saying!

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

Good idea I think

It makes sense to have your first experience on the motorway with an instructor during a lesson, rather than on your own !!

I agree with you, Steampowered - but the M25 ? I believe that Learner drivers are currently permitted to drive on A roads arent they? Might be worth having more experience on them then take on the M roads.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Indeed honeybee.. the M25 has been likened to the largest mobile parking facility :lol:

BCOBS

I agree with you, Steampowered - but the M25 ? I believe that Learner drivers are currently permitted to drive on A roads arent they? Might be worth having more experience on them then take on the M roads.

Yes, I remember being taken on an A road very early on in my driving lessons! I think we pootled along pretty slowly while the other cars all zoomed past in the other lane. Scary stuff :jaw:

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

It always seemed strange to me that previously the only way to get Motorway experience with a Driving Instructor was to do the additional Pass Plus qualification.

Then when you're a new 18 year old driver it was a good thing to do as not only did it build confidence on Motorways and winding country roads, it also reduced the insurance premiums by far more than the cost of the lessons for several years running.

Personally I'm all in favour of this. Better to have that first experience with an instructor than alone.