• Tweets

• FINAL UPDATE.  I have not posted as the defence were reading the thread.  An agreement was reached on the day of the hearing.   I am unable to go into detail but for those in this position the forum has been priceless support and advice so thank you all in the site team.   for those going through this, follow the process, ignore intimidating tactics and threats and get to the Judge.  They are very supporting of those self representing.   I note her name has gone from the heading of the thread.  Was this them ?  Thanks again.  
    • I'm not sure what the "appeal" system asked but he said he definitely didn't indicate he was the driver so I'm just going to have to take his word for it. Honestly, I don't think the hirer will contact them. I think my brother will tolerate it. I did have a similar experience with another company 6-7 years ago and sought advice on here then to which you guys told me to ignore, I got the exact same DRP letters and then a "Gladstones Solicitor" letter.  After that nothing happened and it died away. Based on my experience with that I assumed the same would happen here but only asked to see if perhaps anything had changed since then.    Hopefully it doesn't get to court but if it did, I feel like we have enough evidence to sway a judge who probably hates dealing with this type of nonsense anyway. Or maybe I'm too optimistic. 
    • Your attachment showing the cinema parking restrictions seems crystal clear. Let's see what the photos turn up.
    • Meter certification periods re given in The Meters (Certification) Regulations 1998, Schedule 4. From there you can check if they are correct about your specific meter .. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/1566/schedule/4 If they're telling porkies then you have e clear grounds to tell them to take  hike. If they're correct or if you haven't been able to confirm then you have  few options. You could just keep fobbing them off. In general Octopus can't keep up with demand for smart meters. It took 9 months to get our. So they may not push too hard. Or ask if you can install your own choice of meter. The Electricity Act 1989 cover this in Schedule 7 (2) and (2A) https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1989/29/schedule/7 Or fight the them and their enforcement. Or go off supply.
    • We received a copy of the completed Directions Questionnaire (N181) from the solicitors along with a draft copy of their directions. I am on a course today so can upload over the weekend if needed. By 4pm on 16th May both parties must each give standard disclosure of documents by way of list by category. By 4pm on 30th May any request for inspection or copies of docs must be made and compiled 14 days thereafter. I will provide more over the weekend.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Help required - TKmaxx/Swapped price tags, 2 years ago, Police (?) and RLP Chargeback?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2437 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone

Hi want to get some help for a close friend of mine who will I suspect follow this thread as a guest, i hope!

I have posted this as result of the monthly CAG email article about civil recovery, great news btw! Anyway....

Brief synopsis: 2 years ago, TKMAxx, swapped price tags, caught, taken in a room and police called (?),

they both went out of the room twice throughout the discussison, let off (we think), unsure if cautioned, could have been PCSO.

Banned, they took her mobile number and debit card details [removed] and RLP have been paid something like £250!!!

My friend needs to have an enhanced CRB check done for something and is obviously very worried.

This was a one off incident totally not in character for them in a moment at a time of great stress.

I have given my friend the chat about not being paranoid now about being followed

and they have have probably forgotten about it now, etc.

So, as result of this article and bunch of the threads in this section where I have this new eye opening knowledge!.

Firstly, we are trying to find out from the police exactly what happened at the time

and what was "archived" and what may come out on a CRB check,

this will hopefully let us know if it was a PCSO and they went over the 30 mins detainment,

the details if any.

What can we do, if anything, about the £250 that was paid to RLP?

Does anyone here have any accurate info about whether this can be charged back from her debit card (after 2 years)?

Does anyone have any accurate knowledge of enhanced CRB checks and what might be on it as result of this.

I know this may be difficult to comment on now as we need more info and the memory is a blur for my friend

and details sketchy of what was exactly said at the time?

Last thought, £250 for nothing taken, speechless!!!!

Thanks

Steve

Hi

If no police action was taken then nothing should appear on an enhanced CRB. Even if it did, a full and frank explanation can help.

The police should be able to clarify what details they hold (if any) but your friend could also get a copy of her CRB as well.

As for the money lost, I would put that one down to experience and forget it.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

hi Silver

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I did some research at the time into CRB (Now DBS) checks a

nd looking at it you cannot get an enhanced one as member of the public

https://www.gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check/overview

but you can get a basic one.

We will have to wait and see what record was held by the police I suppose

My intuition tells me that nothing will appear on one as the DBS guidelines state that whatever is recorded has to be relevant to the post applied for.

I doubt this would be tbh.

Yes, it sadly appears that ther £250 is lost but I will try and bottom that out for sure as it is a lot of money and there is the principle involved

Very doubtful youll be able to do anything about the money. Youve had 2 years to sort it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Very doubtful youll be able to do anything about the money. Youve had 2 years to sort it.

Yes, I think you might be right BUT i have only tonight realised who RLP are what they do. If I had known about this then, well it would have been a different story I can tell ya

Thats hindsight sadly :( rlp rrly on vulnerable people

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Little update

We are going to do a SAR to the local police after talking with a very helpful lady in their Data Protection department, that should get us what exactly at the time and indicate what might be on the DB Check

And I have sent a general query to the DBS service making an initial enquiry.

Lets see what happens

there will be nothing on a CRB check. An enhanced CRB willbe very unlikely to say anything either as there was no caution, nothing involving violence of anything to do with vulnerable people so unless it is a financial job there will be no possibility of it ever being a problem and if it is in the financial sector there is comeback if the record is untrue.

• 2 years later...

Hi Everyone

I'm doing this for a shy friend... :)

Please can someone give me and a friend some assistance with a few questions at the bottom of this post please, many thanks. First a bit of background and a recount of an incident that occurred on the 30th July.

4 Years ago:

She was stopped by stored detectives, RLP, etc for Price ticket swapping,

police came, discussion held between them and TK/RLP/whoever and no action taken.

She left store, very upset as really was out of character for her.

Carried on being worried as had an upcoming DBS check for her job.

She did a SAR request to the local police to find out what was recorded at the time.

Nothing really was and she passed the enhanced DBS check.

She was banned, BUT sadly paid RLP their "invitation to pay" for her peace of mind even though afterwards and some reading on here about their parasitic and bullying nature it was regretted!

She learnt her lesson and has never done anything wrong since.

30th July:

fast forward to the a couple of weeks ago.

She was wandering through TK again

(after giving it some time and started to shop there again)

was stopped outside the changing room by 2 bods and asked to come for a chat.

Bear in mind, she had done nothing at this point.

She went with them, non-plussed, and was taken into a room and told she had been defrauding them by returning items for differing values using refunds, exchanges to the value of £50 or so they said.

said they had a file on her and they also said the police has been compiling a file on her.

proceeded to try to call the police twice whilst in the room with her but she could not hear anything just see them pick up a phone.

could not get through and I think some words were exchanged,

I think they referred to the ban from years ago (so RLP must have a record of her) So, she has not done this,

she buys a lot from there and removes tags when she gets home and is regularly exchanging and returning, etc

it appears to be an honest mistake that might have happened a couple of times where she has lost track of a purchase picked it up and take back and not remember the receipt or price and grabbed one that looked about right and just got on with it.

it triggered her and she has been a bit of a mess since,

seen her Doc, started Anti-depressants again and has appt with the local DAS service in early Sept.

She is very worried about the police turning up on her doorstep, etc. she wants to pay the £220.

i keep telling her not to as I spent a great deal of time on here for her after the incident 4 years back

and even read part of the informative and amusing court case.

She needs convincing, etc. She also had a rubbish experience with a solicitor earlier over the phone.

Obviously I know and am confident of what they are up to and would tell them to take a run and jump it it were me.

They are fishing, etc for some money but it is her and she is not used to this "sort of thing" not that I am, lol

My/her questions are:

If she didn't pay, what would or could happen?

What is the likelihood of them passing it to police if she ignored the letters.

This is what I am not sure about and cant answer her.

I know it is difficult to answer this but it may give her some re-assurance.

Can the police retroactively do something after the event with regard to the evidence/PACE laws and all that stuff?

How on earth would they know the police were compiling a file on her.

Sounds like a load of bullying horse**** to me, if they had a file on her then they would be there already waiting with them.

The RLP bods would have seen her in the store when she came in as they would be waiting for her for a while and would have called to the police ahead of time to be ready and not tried calling them

I personally think the worst that MIGHT happen is they knock and have a chat with her and she tells them it was an honest mistake and then forget about it as how can they determine intent behind whatever TK have in their silly file.

They just see someone returning something 2/3 times, it could easily just well be an honest mistake as it could be a intentional action.

The police have more important things to do, probably not interested and know it will not go to court either (as per the court case) as it is not in the financial interests of TKMaxx to pursue it, etc

She will see this and I have encouraged her to read the other RLP threads to give her some positive vibes and push the negative ones back. I'm sure she will after this has posted. She is just unsure of what could happen after ignoring the letters and trying to come to terms with that "roll of the dice"

Thanks

Steve

IMHO its a frighten just to get money out of her.

the police will not be interested in the least.

the security bods are nothing to do with RLP and TBH should not have access to their database either

so that's a load of ole bull too.

i'd simply ignore everything.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks Dx

Yeah, I am trying to counsel her to ignore it all but obviously its difficult when it is not you and an emotional situation.

After reading all 9 pages of maxxers thread above I'm more convinced that police are not interested

She is mainly concerned about whether RPL will forward the file to the police or courts for action if she ignores it all?

i'm looking for some sort of probabilities, reassurances of some kind, difficult i know.

no they cant they are nowt to do with the poice

infact they were droped by acapo or whatever it was

they have absolutely no legal powers whatsoever

and cannot instigate anything legal themselves.

that's down solely to the retailer.

I must admit that I've been personally musing that theres a backdoor link between some of the retail loss staff at any store level with rlp

but i'll not go so far as to say they purposefully trump up RLP/DWF to gander them some payment that filters back under the carpet to store security staff

but again I cannot rule that out.

to me there are too many pointers

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Definitely "things that make you go HMMMM"

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

no they cant they are nowt to do with the poice

infact they were droped by acapo or whatever it was

they have absolutely no legal powers whatsoever

and cannot instigate anything legal themselves.

that's down solely to the retailer.

I must admit that I've been personally musing that theres a backdoor link between some of the retail loss staff at any store level with rlp

but i'll not go so far as to say they purposefully trump up RLP/DWF to gander them some payment that filters back under the carpet to store security staff

but again I cannot rule that out.

to me there are too many pointers

Don't forget that tin foil hat.

There is absolutely no link between rlp and tk maxx staff.

The only 'link' is that tk maxx head office see rlp as giving them some money back for the wrongs that people do against them. If only they did it in house, and for the cost of what it's cost them, then rlp wouldn't exist, and the cost recoup would get through the courts.

Anyway, back to the op's issues.

First - the original ban was a lifetime one. The 'customer' shouldn't even be in any store.

Second - it takes at least 2 separate transactions fora fraud case, for the exact reason to exclude any 'mistakes' made by a customer returning the wrong item.

There is a loss to the store. They can't sell the item again as they can't be sure its real, genuine brand, as it wasn't the item purchased.

There will be clear cctv footage of the item purchased, and the item returned. And the fact they are different. The loss prevention will of also confirmed that the items are either a brand that tk's don't sell (i.e. Tesco or primark etc), and that they can't re sell it.

Despite the police not being able to be contacted at the time, rest assured that the procedure is that the case file is presented to them - so they can expect a door knock and an arrest for fraud. For the police it's an easy job, tk's do all the paperwork and statements for them, evidence production etc, so it's a simple 'go and arrest them, interview and charge' (ok a little bit of paperwork, but nowhere near as much as a normal job)

If you want to help your friend, I would suggest they call the store to get details as to who the officer in the case is from the security team, and see if they can contact them to present themselves at the police station at a time of their choosing, rather than wait for a door knock.