NHS dental treatment charges - penalty charge

luckyphil
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2420 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

I used to be a lodger at someone’s house and he handed me a letter yesterday (100817) in my name dated 1 May 2017 titled NHS dental treatment charges - penalty charge. I went for a check up at a dentist on 4 March and they are claiming that I ticked the box for HC2 exemption for free NHS treatment (unsure – just wanted it over with as I was in agony at the time with toothache)

It lists the payment as

£53.90 treatment charge

£100 penalty charge

It also states on the back that if you are included in an award for Universal Credit (UC) and you had no earnings for the last complete assessment period of £435 or less then the NHS will cover the cost

I have just ring UC and they told me my claim was closed on 170717. I have asked them to send me this as a letter (again landlord’s address) and they told me they would in 2nd class post. However I have no idea about the amount of earnings in the assessment period. Can someone clarify that if I did earn over £435 then I would be liable?

I am wondering whether I should get involved with this at all. The person I lived with is extremely unreliable and for all I know this penalty may have increased or I have received further letters in my name there. I no longer require dental treatment and have moved on from this now. Please advise whether I should contact them? I do not want to dodge the system but I have moved away from the city and even getting mail from him is difficult now

Thanks

LP

I have moved away from the city and even getting mail from him is difficult now

Sorry, I can't answer your main question, but just one thought, why don't you set up a Mail Redirection with Royal Mail so that if there is further action taken to recover this you won't have to rely on your unreliable friend forwarding your post?

Not sure why you are saying they are 'claiming' you claimed exemption under a HC2 certificate, because its a simple process to check whether or not you did, all you have to do is ask them for a copy of the form you ticked and signed, also in terms of the fine it would not matter if you were exempt because of UC they issue fines based on what you claim exemption for at the time of treatment, they don't investigate to see if you are exempt for any other reason, its not their job to do that.

Looking at this link http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/universal-credit.aspx#entitlement you should have shown a copy of your award letter at the time of treatment to claim under UC if you didn't have an award letter covering the time you had treatment then you would not be exempt under UC, so as it stands the fine is valid.

I am not sure if the NHSBSA can trace you at your new address if that's what's worrying you I suspect its would be a case of the fine lying dormant until you need to claim again but by then it could have gone up so it may be in your best interest to contact them to sort it out

I am not sure if the NHSBSA can trace you at your new address if that's what's worrying you I suspect its would be a case of the fine lying dormant until you need to claim again but by then it could have gone up so it may be in your best interest to contact them to sort it out

But if NHSBA enforcement includes them going to small claims court if you ignore them and the court papers don't get passed on OP could end up with a CCJ.