Safestyle windows fitted , more noisy than old ones

calder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2424 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Safestyle have fitted my 3 windows . The salesman said our windows were old and that there New argon filled units would cut out the traffic noise . They have been fitted and they are more noisy than the ones they took out . The windows look nice but the reason we bought them was to cut out the traffic noise . They have been back out to take one unit out and check that enough filling had been put in . They have put it back in but it is still noisy . They say they don't know why they are noisy . We are worse off with the noise than we were with the old ones in . Any advice on what I can do . Thank you

Do you have evidence to confirm they are actually noisier than the old ones, eg dB measurements. It could be an illusion that you are now listening for noise rather than ignoring what was there.

Were the old ones double glazed too, are the old and new both PVC?

No evidence they are more noisy except that we can't sleep because we can hear the traffic and we are having to turn up the TVs in the living room to drown out the noise , which we didn't have to do before . The old windows were upvc too , obviously of a lot better quality

They sold you a lemon.

UPVC windows last forever.

A good clean with solvent makes them look new.

Hinges are usually zinc plated or stainless steel, so when they suggested you changed your old ones they ripped you off.

Thread moved to General Retail Forum..please continue to post here to your thread.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Gas filled ( argon) cavities in glass units make no difference to sound performance....its for better thermal performance and to stop /reduce condensation

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

have a good look at the windows here is a example of the fitting standards of safestyle found when the coveing was removed during redecoration of one room a year after fitting , the rest were checked and found to be the same if not worse. complaint made and still awaiting reply

Hi Calder,

If the Safestyle sales rep told you the Argon units would be better than existing air-filled ones, you were mis-sold the new windows.

You would have been far better off having (vertical or horizontal) sliding secondary glazing fitted to compliment the existing windows. Secondary glazing is excellent in reducing noise nuisance from outside.

You can reject the windows if they were only fitted 2 weeks back. Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, you have 30 days to reject faulty goods so you need to complain quickly, in writing, to the supplying office and copy to their Head Office too. Get free Certificates of Posting at the PO as proof of posting.

Read our guide about the CRA 2015 to see what's involved - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?440-The-Consumer-Rights-Act-2015

I suggest the windows should be rejected because :-

1. They are not fit for purpose - they have no noise reducing qualities, compared to the old UPVC windows that were removed, regardless of them being Argon filled.

2. The are not as described - if you were told the new Argon units would improve noise reduction, this was wrong.

If they fail to offer a suitable solution for you, I would sue them for the cost of the new windows (as they won't be able to put the old ones back); or the cost of fitting suitable secondary glazing to stop the noise nuisance (which the sales rep said the new windows would do).

That's my take on the situation but others may want to offer comment.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Calder,

They fitted a composite door along with the windows. There appears to be no problem with this, so shall I reject the windows but keep the door.

Yes, mention in the letter that you have no issue with the door and are happy to pay for this.

Post a draft here before you send the letter if you want.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Calder,

If the Safestyle sales rep told you the Argon units would be better than existing air-filled ones, you were mis-sold the new windows.

You would have been far better off having (vertical or horizontal) sliding secondary glazing fitted to compliment the existing windows. Secondary glazing is excellent in reducing noise nuisance from outside.

You can reject the windows if they were only fitted 2 weeks back. Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, you have 30 days to reject faulty goods so you need to complain quickly, in writing, to the supplying office and copy to their Head Office too. Get free Certificates of Posting at the PO as proof of posting.

Read our guide about the CRA 2015 to see what's involved - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?440-The-Consumer-Rights-Act-2015

I suggest the windows should be rejected because :-

1. They are not fit for purpose - they have no noise reducing qualities, compared to the old UPVC windows that were removed, regardless of them being Argon filled.

2. The are not as described - if you were told the new Argon units would improve noise reduction, this was wrong.

If they fail to offer a suitable solution for you, I would sue them for the cost of the new windows (as they won't be able to put the old ones back); or the cost of fitting suitable secondary glazing to stop the noise nuisance (which the sales rep said the new windows would do).

That's my take on the situation but others may want to offer comment.

I'm in the building trade (secondary occupation nowadays) and I completely agree with slick.

The windows were missold.

The only difference between the old and new ones is that the new ones are whiter but let a lot of noise in.

So as mentioned, you would have been better off with a solvent cleaner and new silicone, but that would have cost only a pony or so.

Double glazed window sellers...